1st Round: Pick #26 - C Tyler Ennis

SabresFan526

Well, according to TSN this is a bit of a stretch pick, but fits the profile of Buffalo with Derek Roy, Nathan Gerbe, and the other smallish/short players that have played for Buffalo. Don't know much about this guy, but I imagine he will fit in well for Buffalo given how well the Sabres have done developing small players.

Well, according to TSN this is a bit of a stretch pick, but fits the profile of Buffalo with Derek Roy, Nathan Gerbe, and the other smallish/short players that have played for Buffalo. Don't know much about this guy, but I imagine he will fit in well for Buffalo given how well the Sabres have done developing small players.

TSN had him at 33, but also said they wouldn't be surprised if he snuck into the first round, so that's really not a stretch pick. They also have him listed as one of the best pure scorers in the entire draft.

I just wonder how many more Tylers they can draft.

Link to Sabres Edge Blog entry with YouTube video on Ennis.

NHLEntryDraft.com scouting report on Ennis:

NHL Director of Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

Strengths: "Tyler is a quick, 'water-bug'-type player. He scoots up and down the ice and can turn on a dime. He can drive wide on a defenseman who is unaware or a little slow. Tyler may be one of the best pure offensive players in the entire draft."

Outlook: "Getting bigger is not something within his control, he's done everything as far as his quickness and offensive development and now I think that it is just ready for him to show it at the next level."

Medicine Hat GM and head coach Willie Desjardins

"He's so, so fast. I think he's one of the toughest guys in the league to handle. He wants to score so bad on every shift and Tyler's quickness down low in the corner is why he's so hard to handle."

EDIT: Added TSN's scouting report link.

TSN Scouting Report

Link to Sabres Edge Blog entry with YouTube video on Ennis.

NHLEntryDraft.com scouting report on Ennis:

NHL Director of Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

Strengths: "Tyler is a quick, 'water-bug'-type player. He scoots up and down the ice and can turn on a dime. He can drive wide on a defenseman who is unaware or a little slow. Tyler may be one of the best pure offensive players in the entire draft."

Outlook: "Getting bigger is not something within his control, he's done everything as far as his quickness and offensive development and now I think that it is just ready for him to show it at the next level."

Medicine Hat GM and head coach Willie Desjardins

"He's so, so fast. I think he's one of the toughest guys in the league to handle. He wants to score so bad on every shift and Tyler's quickness down low in the corner is why he's so hard to handle."

EDIT: Added TSN's scouting report link.

TSN Scouting Report

He'll be an upgrade on the shootout for sure.

I do like this pick alot. The kid is a scoring machine in the WHL. WHL is a very tough league and in recent years many players taken from this league are much less likley to be first round busts then NCAA, Quebec League or the Ontario league. WHL for the most part develops good players if they are taken high. The scouting service says he may be the most gifted offensive player in the draft. He lacks size. Let's not forget, but Nathan Gerbe may never make it to the NHL.... it's a insurance policy i think. Sabres have been really high on picking players with great leadership in the past (Roy, MacArthur, Paille) true leaders and blue-collar players and Ennis fits this profile. Kid plays with alot of passion, and is a very hard worker.

Dobber's take: 10:28 PM- Buffalo decides to rebuild their small roster by grabbing Tyler Ennis. he has a long, hard road to the NHL and I don't feel he has quite enough, but the Sabres have an eye for these guys and they have the linemate for him in Vanek.

Wish dobber could be our head scout: http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1159/1/

Two things:

1) With his offensive ability, I wonder where he would have gone in the draft were he 3 inches taller. Top 10? May be a bust, but also could be one of those hidden gems.

2) He should start talking more about how he likes the way that Derek Roy plays than about the way Daniel Briere plays. He should strive to be more like Derek in his own end than Danny; plus Danny's not a Sabre any more.

Archived