Press Conference 2PM today... DR and the head of video scouting

LabattBlue

Hope it's not lame like a butt-kissing session or something.

Not sure it's a good idea to discuss the players that you want to go after in the draft in an interview. Hopefully in that sense it will be a butt-kissing session. Maybe they will try to pull some psychological warfare and say "oh yea we want this guy and that guy" to make other teams interested when we have no interest in them at all since we do have a tendency of finding players no one wants that end up being good players.

I'd expect some annoying questions from Bucky, some off-topic questions (Bucky + others), to which Regeir will answer "I can't comment on that", and throw in a discussion of how "wonderful" the video scouting is. All-in-all I'd expect a snooze-fest, yet pathetically I will be watching/listening since it's the closest thing to hockey news we're gonna get at this time of year.

Uh, maybe I misheard him, but I believe Darcy's math skills are a little weak...

- he said he missed a day of interviews, and on that day they had 85 kids come through

- he said interviews last 15 minutes with 5 minute breaks between.

So let's see, thats 85 x 15 = 1275 minutes, divided by 60 would give you the hours...21.25 hours. Then add in about 85 5-minute breaks, working out to about 7 hours, and you're looking at a 28.25 hour day. I guess in Regeir Land, there is no concept of time the way you and I might think about it :D

Basically, other than they already have 2-3 guys pegged for our 1st 1st round pick, it's pretty much open season on anything after that. It was interesting to see a little bit more about the details of the drafting process but not much news news.

Uh, maybe I misheard him, but I believe Darcy's math skills are a little weak...

- he said he missed a day of interviews, and on that day they had 85 kids come through

- he said interviews last 15 minutes with 5 minute breaks between.

So let's see, thats 85 x 15 = 1275 minutes, divided by 60 would give you the hours...21.25 hours. Then add in about 85 5-minute breaks, working out to about 7 hours, and you're looking at a 28.25 hour day. I guess in Regeir Land, there is no concept of time the way you and I might think about it :D

No wonder he always waits until the last possible minute to make a trade or tender an offer to a free agent...he's working on a different time system.

Basically, other than they already have 2-3 guys pegged for our 1st 1st round pick, it's pretty much open season on anything after that. It was interesting to see a little bit more about the details of the drafting process but not much news news.

I thought along the same lines, interesting tidbit in that last couple seconds about trading the two first rounders for the number one overall.

It could just me but I wish they would stay out of Europe unless they have a sure lock coming out. That could just be my hockey racial bias talkin.

Guest Sloth
I thought along the same lines, interesting tidbit in that last couple seconds about trading the two first rounders for the number one overall.

It could just me but I wish they would stay out of Europe unless they have a sure lock coming out. That could just be my hockey racial bias talkin.

How many of you support the idea of trading two first for the number one overall? I say go for it. :beer: Oh how Beer helps you think straight.

Guest Sloth
yup!

Last few #1's have been incredible. Offer the trade Darcy! Tampa doesn't want a number one! They're (Tampa) thinking depth right now. Next beer is on me Darcy! :beer:

Last few #1's have been incredible. Offer the trade Darcy! Tampa doesn't want a number one! They're (Tampa) thinking depth right now. Next beer is on me Darcy! :beer:

couldn't be further from the truth. for the past two months the lightning have been putting up "seen stamkos?" billboards and flyers around town. and a website to boot (www.seenstamkos.com). i went and saw pearl jam the other day and they had a video all about stamkos playing on the concourse tv's before hand. from what i've heard the kid is already looking at places to live down here.

couldn't be further from the truth. for the past two months the lightning have been putting up "seen stamkos?" billboards and flyers around town. and a website to boot (www.seenstamkos.com). i went and saw pearl jam the other day and they had a video all about stamkos playing on the concourse tv's before hand. from what i've heard the kid is already looking at places to live down here.

Talk about pressure to pull that trigger :lol: They just got a new coach as well, right? Oh well, they will still be a one line team with a crappy goalie for another couple years. Lets move on to the next pipedream.

If we're still in big need of a center, even though their arrival would be years off, it seems like we will have a good chance of filling that role with one of those picks. One guy who has been climbing up the sleeper ranks as of late, Corey Trivino, will most likely be around when we get the San Jose pick. I've seen some sources saying that he is the most gifted playmaker in this entire draft, yet he's still projected as an early 2nd round pick. He could be a decent option at the end of the first. Yes, I'll admit to being a bit biased since I'll be watching the kid play in college next season. I want more incentive to watch these kids play.

whaler, there really isn't much talk of the europeans outside of Filatov in this draft, so you probably won't have to worry about that with our first pick. If Filatov somehow pulled a Cherepanov and fell down the board, they'd have to jump all over him at 13, but that won't happen.

Talk about pressure to pull that trigger :lol: They just got a new coach as well, right? Oh well, they will still be a one line team with a crappy goalie for another couple years. Lets move on to the next pipedream.

no new coach yet. they're in the process of being bought by oren koules who does all the "saw" movies. he's been trying to buy the team since before the trade deadline. he called the shots on trading richards, firing tortorella, etc, and he may not even get the team if the nhl b.o.g. doesn't approve. rumor has it that once he gets control, he'll be bringing in barry melrose as the new coach, and possibly rick tocchet as the assistant.

no new coach yet. they're in the process of being bought by oren koules who does all the "saw" movies. he's been trying to buy the team since before the trade deadline. he called the shots on trading richards, firing tortorella, etc, and he may not even get the team if the nhl b.o.g. doesn't approve. rumor has it that once he gets control, he'll be bringing in barry melrose as the new coach, and possibly rick tocchet as the assistant.

You've got to be kidding! Is that what it is like down there? I dont even know much about the guy, but he sounds like a turd if I was a Lightning fan. On the contrary; would he be interested in a flashy Russian? <_< ........Rick Tocchet? WOW.....keep us posted this week, please. This is my entertainment.

whaler, there really isn't much talk of the europeans outside of Filatov in this draft, so you probably won't have to worry about that with our first pick. If Filatov somehow pulled a Cherepanov and fell down the board, they'd have to jump all over him at 13, but that won't happen.

Thank God. I love Hecht, Teppo, even the Lydmans & Tallinders, but maybe get them on the rebound after the age of 27 instead of at 17.

I am just afraid that someone like this Luca Sbisa (Swiss)will drop from the top ten and be available. I hate the feeling of being obligated to take the best player available when he not attractive or exactly what you would want out of a first rounder. :unsure:

I am just afraid that someone like this Luca Sbisa (Swiss)will drop from the top ten and be available. I hate the feeling of being obligated to take the best player available when he not attractive or exactly what you would want out of a first rounder. :unsure:

Huh? If the guy is the best player available, why is he not what you want? What DO you want out of a first rounder if not the best player you can get? Personally, if the best kid is a European who is signable, even if it means him staying over there for a year or two, I am fine with it. I get that you prefer North Americans but ... Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. look just fine to me ... Who knows? Sbisa could be the next Lidstrom and he did play in the WHL last season ... I doubt he is, but if they think he's the best player I hope they take him and don't take the next Erik Rasmussen just so they can say they took a tough North American kid.

Archived