OT - Is Everyone OK?

rbochan

Don't know about the Western half, but Central New York got slammed today

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200...entral_new.html

Started at about 12:30 PM and just got done cutting the 70 year old maple tree off the side of the house. Lost the chimney, back corner of the house above my office, the back porch (my new summer office), and over half my vegetable garden. As far as I know, no one in this neighborhood was injured, but many are without power and have plenty of damage to trees and property. My tree missed all my incoming lines by about nine inches.

Four pickup loads full of firewood and I'm not even half done yet, but at least it's off the house.

Some local photos here:

http://www.syracuse.com/photos/news/galler...y.ata?g_id=6754

I'm spent.

Don't know about the Western half, but Central New York got slammed today

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/200...entral_new.html

Started at about 12:30 PM and just got done cutting the 70 year old maple tree off the side of the house. Lost the chimney, back corner of the house above my office, the back porch (my new summer office), and over half my vegetable garden. As far as I know, no one in this neighborhood was injured, but many are without power and have plenty of damage to trees and property. My tree missed all my incoming lines by about nine inches.

Four pickup loads full of firewood and I'm not even half done yet, but at least it's off the house.

Some local photos here:

http://www.syracuse.com/photos/news/galler...y.ata?g_id=6754

I'm spent.

My friend was literally just finishing putting a new roof on my house as the storm started to hit.

We didn't take any direct damage but did get hail and lightning hit a few hundred yards away. Some trees down in my town.

Sorry to read about your damage. Glad no one was hurt. On the bright side, you've cut your weeding down by 50%.

Do you have a generator? They are definitely worth the investment.

I live in fayetteville, nc and we had some horrid storms last night too. Small amounts of hail, strong wind gusts (30-40mph) and torrid rains. Temp before storm, 106, temp during the storm, 75, temp after the storm 90. Perfect tornado conditions. We didn't have any, luckily.

I've got a generator, my next door neighbor's using it so she doesn't lose all the food in her fridge. There's no telling when NiMo... er... National Grid will show up.

We had 60+ MPH winds here. It only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was wicked.

Weather is crazy this year. I live in Colorado and we had several tornados hit the area a couple weeks back. My brother-in-law and his wife live in the town that was hit the hardest, it destroyed a subdivision that was a mile south of theirs, they were very fortunate, lost their patio furniture and lost some windows but that was the extent. Never been that scared by a disaster before, we heard it hit their town and my wife and I were on pins and needles for a hour or so. Then the floods in Wisconsin, and now this. Hope everyone is okay and avoided too much damage.

I'm surfing by generator. I had to get all the important things up in the morning...you know...fridge, coffeemaker...SabreSpace. I ran a line over to my neighbors so they don't lose their fridge(and can make coffee, too). Pretty crazy storms here in NJ with hail and some of the most intense lighting I've ever seen. With it being over 90 last night and almost 100 percent humidity, it was probably one of the most uncomfortable nights I've spent in a long time.

My cousin's taking the afternoon off today so he can help me with getting the rest of the tree cut up. Chainsaw sounds are already permeating the neighborhood. The insurance guy should be here in about 90 minutes.

I'm supposed to be having my first vacation in 10 years next week. We shall see.

It hasn't hit here in Boston's western suburbs, yet, but I think the computer will soon be unplugged. Man, was it hot today...

How have I never figured out that you live in Boston? Anyway, I have no idea when they hit, but I did start to feel the wind coming through the windows at around 11. Finally we'll get a little relief from the stupid heat that caused my hockey game to be canceled last night. You have to love how they're talking about mid-80s as a cool down in early June.

How have I never figured out that you live in Boston? Anyway, I have no idea when they hit, but I did start to feel the wind coming through the windows at around 11. Finally we'll get a little relief from the stupid heat that caused my hockey game to be canceled last night. You have to love how they're talking about mid-80s as a cool down in early June.

I'm not sure... My kids skate at Valley Sports in Concord, and I thought I'd said that... I mentioned the Pure Hockey store opening about 4 miles away from our house last year. Some Sabres game, we ought to meet. Or, if I could get off my posterior and check out a college game, someday.

Anyway, it was a little stunning at how hot it was, yesterday - 99! There was a lot of lightning last night, but thankfully, no damage.

Aud - I tend to think of western suburbs as west of 128...

I'm not sure... My kids skate at Valley Sports in Concord, and I thought I'd said that... I mentioned the Pure Hockey store opening about 4 miles away from our house last year. Some Sabres game, we ought to meet. Or, if I could get off my posterior and check out a college game, someday.

Anyway, it was a little stunning at how hot it was, yesterday - 99! There was a lot of lightning last night, but thankfully, no damage.

Aud - I tend to think of western suburbs as west of 128...

I'm at all of the Sabres-Bruins games, unless there's a conflict with my already paid for BU season tickets.

I lucked out a bit yesterday. During the hottest parts of the day I was at work downtown and there's always a decent sea breeze in that area. I doubt it ever hit 90 there.

Well, day two and still no power. Woke up and fired up the genny(not a Genny, athough that does sound good right now) Luckily the heat broke so that won't be so bad today, only 85. I guess 60 thousand people were still out as of 8pm and we're hearing we should have power back by tomorrow, maybe. Boy, talk about *gas* prices. Right now that's what I'm paying for electricty.

My cousin and I cut up six pickup trucks full of firewood to heat his house next winter. The insurance guy just said "you're fine". It doesn't bring back the garden, but I get a new tree, new chimney, new roof, and a new back porch.

Archived