It is not even close to FA time and I believe

Swedesessed

Sabres fans, please do not expect much come Free Agency time...if history has been any indication with this franchise, this year will be no different.

I have to admit, seeing Briere go wild in the playoffs just angers me about Quinn etc...I say good for Briere and I am glad he is showing Quinn "what could have been"

I expect ZERO to come good out of the FA period.

Again I know it is early etc...but please provide any examples to expect anything diffferent, and I would love to be proved wrong.

It's hard to defend this front office, so don't think I agree with how things were handled last year ... but you can't just sit there and say that they never do anything. Regier has used other ways to improve the team before. Numminen, Spacek and Lydman were all signed as free agents. They traded for Hecht, Briere, Drury, Grier, Dumont ... can't really give them credit for Connolly since that deal was forced basically but still ...

Rip them up and down for screwing up that group, that's fine ... even rip them for the FA defensemen if you want, although they have all been pretty solid ... but don't say they don't do anything. They may have done stupid things once they had a good team, but when the team sucked they made deals and signed guys to make it better. Maybe the reality of missing the playoffs will make them see they need to make some changes. No point getting pissed about what they MIGHT not do ... I'll wait until July and then be pissed if they sit on their hands.

It's hard to defend this front office, so don't think I agree with how things were handled last year ... but you can't just sit there and say that they never do anything. Regier has used other ways to improve the team before. Numminen, Spacek and Lydman were all signed as free agents. They traded for Hecht, Briere, Drury, Grier, Dumont ... can't really give them credit for Connolly since that deal was forced basically but still ...

Rip them up and down for screwing up that group, that's fine ... even rip them for the FA defensemen if you want, although they have all been pretty solid ... but don't say they don't do anything. They may have done stupid things once they had a good team, but when the team sucked they made deals and signed guys to make it better. Maybe the reality of missing the playoffs will make them see they need to make some changes. No point getting pissed about what they MIGHT not do ... I'll wait until July and then be pissed if they sit on their hands.

Oh I agree that the Sabres do 'some' things in FA...I just think of there are fans out there who are dreaming of getting the big coin guys...I think it is wise to end that dream right now because we know it will NOT happen.

http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/04/money-c...-you-goals.html

I don't know why people love free agents so much. They are usually a rousing failure. Briere has been great in the playoffs, but before that, philly fans were calling for him to be benched.

Most players have their best seasons in contact years, they get signed to a nice deal, then they have uninspiring years.

no thanks. Get young players who have something to prove, or older players with short contacts so they have to keep reproving their worth. These long term deals are horrible for the hockey clubs, and the NHL.

It's tough to let some FA walk, but it has been the right thing to do for the team. The sabres are doing fine.

Oh I agree that the Sabres do 'some' things in FA...I just think of there are fans out there who are dreaming of getting the big coin guys...I think it is wise to end that dream right now because we know it will NOT happen.

I don't think anyone expects or wants them to go out and do what the Rangers did last year with Drury and Gomez. I think if they get Miller and Pomminstein extended those are two big coin guys right there. I'd much rather see that and a couple middle-of-the-road character guys than blowing a bunch of cash on Marian Hossa or something. The things this team needs are not the things that cost big bucks ... a physical D-man who doesn't put up offensive numbers and a veteran forwards who provides leadership should not cost big coin. The bigger issue is getting rid of the dead weight to make room.

Lydman was acquired in a trade with Calgary.

I don't think anyone expects or wants them to go out and do what the Rangers did last year with Drury and Gomez. I think if they get Miller and Pomminstein extended those are two big coin guys right there. I'd much rather see that and a couple middle-of-the-road character guys than blowing a bunch of cash on Marian Hossa or something. The things this team needs are not the things that cost big bucks ... a physical D-man who doesn't put up offensive numbers and a veteran forwards who provides leadership should not cost big coin. The bigger issue is getting rid of the dead weight to make room.

Agreed.

I still say that Matty Norstrom would be a nice pick-up (veteran and physical defenseman, plus a long-time leader) and probably wouldn't be too much coin.

I don't know why people love free agents so much. They are usually a rousing failure. Briere has been great in the playoffs, but before that, philly fans were calling for him to be benched.

Most players have their best seasons in contact years, they get signed to a nice deal, then they have uninspiring years.

no thanks. Get young players who have something to prove, or older players with short contacts so they have to keep reproving their worth. These long term deals are horrible for the hockey clubs, and the NHL.

It's tough to let some FA walk, but it has been the right thing to do for the team. The sabres are doing fine.

When it comes right down to it I will take a playoff performer over regular season king any year.......

When it comes right down to it I will take a playoff performer over regular season king any year.......

It's a shame he didn't "perform" against the Sens last year. The Sabres needed more than 1 g 3 a and a minus 3 from the "playoff performer".

It's a shame he didn't "perform" against the Sens last year. The Sabres needed more than 1 g 3 a and a minus 3 from the "playoff performer".

Very true, but that remark goes for all 18 skaters though.

The only one who showed up in that god awful series was Miller, everyone else were quite content with having made it that far, apparently.

Absolutely....after all, the regular season > playoffs :rolleyes:

The only FA that I'd like to see wearing the slug next year is Jason Smith, D from Philly. Philly's got Carter as an RFA, and they're handcuffed by the cap already, so it's possible that Smith could slip to the market. He could be picked up around 3.5-4M/yr, and he's a physical veteran defenseman with leadership (see Edmonton's cup run in 05-06).

Archived