Spin the Wheel

frisky

Since we will not be playing the playoffs this year, we can at least look forward to tonight at 8pm. What pick do you think the Sabres will get? Wouldn't it be something if the Sabres ended with the second most points for a non-playoff team and ended up in the top 5 or top 10? How sweet would that be? But, this is Buffalo, and what that means is they will probably end up with the 15th pick and Carolina will get a better pick than Buffalo.

It's kind of sad if this is what we have to look forward to, but what else is there for Sabres fans?

Since we will not be playing the playoffs this year, we can at least look forward to tonight at 8pm. What pick do you think the Sabres will get? Wouldn't it be something if the Sabres ended with the second most points for a non-playoff team and ended up in the top 5 or top 10? How sweet would that be? But, this is Buffalo, and what that means is they will probably end up with the 15th pick and Carolina will get a better pick than Buffalo.

It's kind of sad if this is what we have to look forward to, but what else is there for Sabres fans?

Buffalo can't move into the top 10.

Buffalo can't move into the top 10.

You're right. However, my understanding is that because Buffalo is the 14th worst team, they could conceivably pick #10 since Carolina is the only team with more points than Buffalo. That'd be nice to get the 10th pick in a supposedly deep draft. And, once you're at the 10th pick, you could easily work out trades either up or down with say a Toronto to move up or with a better team to move back at the draft. Still, unfortunately, it's the only thing we have to look forward to right now.

You're right. However, my understanding is that because Buffalo is the 14th worst team, they could conceivably pick #10 since Carolina is the only team with more points than Buffalo. That'd be nice to get the 10th pick in a supposedly deep draft. And, once you're at the 10th pick, you could easily work out trades either up or down with say a Toronto to move up or with a better team to move back at the draft. Still, unfortunately, it's the only thing we have to look forward to right now.

I don't want to nit pick, but Buffalo's only possibilities are 9 (less than 1%), 13 (likely) 14 (less than less than 1%)

Very confusing. I thought all the non-playoff teams had a chance to move up 4 spots. It was only the bottom 5.

No, everyone has the opportunity to move up 4 spots. TSN was all about the #1 pick, but yes, theoretically, any team can move up 4 spots. The Sabres could have gotten the 9th pick, but it did not work out that way. It worked out that the lottery worked exactly as the probability predicted. So, there were no surprises this year.

Larry Playfair

Joel Savage

Phillipe Boucher

Drew Stafford

Marek Zagrapan

All 13th picks

Just to give a little more comprehensive list:

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Derek Morris

Daniel Cleary

Michael Henrich

Jani Rita

Ron Hainsey

Ales Hemsky

Alexander Semin

Dustin Brown

Drew Stafford

Marek Zagrapan

Jiri Tlusty

Those are the 13th overall pick from '95-'06, when the NHL Enrty Draft format was revised. There are quite a few boons and a few bust sprinkled in there as well. The Sabres better make it count. While I'm still somewhat high on Stafford, Zagrapan might be joining Jani Rita soon as never weres if he doesn't get his act together.

Archived