PP point men for next year...

LabattBlue

I know Lindy can use Pominville and Connolly in that regard, but can they get by with Spacek and Sekera in 08-09 to pair with them? I know neither approaches Campbells skaking ability, but would they suffice until a better solution can be found?

I know Lindy can use Pominville and Connolly in that regard, but can they get by with Spacek and Sekera in 08-09 to pair with them? I know neither approaches Campbells skaking ability, but would they suffice until a better solution can be found?

What are they going to do in week 3 when Connolly is out for the year? I think they should try to bring Berard in just for the PP alone.

What are they going to do in week 3 when Connolly is out for the year? I think they should try to bring Berard in just for the PP alone.

J-M Liles has been a popular name in recent weeks, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in to QB the PP. I think he is more of a true PP QB than we've had in recent years (including Campbell) and could really help the special teams a lot. I think that especially later in the season the PP got a little too predictable based on the personnel we put out there - if Big Al was on the point we could count on them trying to feed his big slapper over and over and adjustments were usually slow to happen, even if teams started cheating toward him.

The same Berard who hasn't played more than 58 games in any of the past 4 seasons? How is that an improvement over the tin man?

J-M Liles has been a popular name in recent weeks, and I wouldn't mind bringing him in to QB the PP. I think he is more of a true PP QB than we've had in recent years (including Campbell) and could really help the special teams a lot. I think that especially later in the season the PP got a little too predictable based on the personnel we put out there - if Big Al was on the point we could count on them trying to feed his big slapper over and over and adjustments were usually slow to happen, even if teams started cheating toward him.

Yes, I even threw Liles name out there earlier this season, but I am wondering how much he will be looking for. Berard seems to fit more into the Sabres payroll plan. Of course I would love to see Liles here over Berard.

As a side note, our 5-3 PP has been pathetic all year with the same slow moving passes to Al. However last night, they threw in a wrinkle (I think Lydman crashed the night and Al quickly slid over to his spot) and it was much more dynamic, even though Al still took the shot. It's a shame it took 81 games to try something new.

The same Berard who hasn't played more than 58 games in any of the past 4 seasons? How is that an improvement over the tin man?

Yes, his health is an issue, but he plays a little harder than most of the guys we have now. He is getting up there in age too, so if getting 50-60 games out of him is the best he can do, I would take his PP ability over anyone else we have right now. Just filling in for glassjaw would get him plenty of time to play.

As a side note, our 5-3 PP has been pathetic all year with the same slow moving passes to Al. However last night, they threw in a wrinkle (I think Lydman crashed the night and Al quickly slid over to his spot) and it was much more dynamic, even though Al still took the shot. It's a shame it took 81 games to try something new.

I agree. I don't know if there is anywhere you can see 5 on 3 PP stats, but the Sabres efforts in this regard did seem to be woeful.

Yes, his health is an issue, but he plays a little harder than most of the guys we have now. He is getting up there in age too, so if getting 50-60 games out of him is the best he can do, I would take his PP ability over anyone else we have right now. Just filling in for glassjaw would get him plenty of time to play.

Does Berard still have the vision problem in his one eye?

I agree. I don't know if there is anywhere you can see 5 on 3 PP stats, but the Sabres efforts in this regard did seem to be woeful.

Our scoring % had to be near the bottom of the league in that category. OTOH, it seemed like every team who had a 5-3 against us always scored eventually. <_>

I'm not even sure I remember a time when a pass was snapped from the point across ice to the man down low who then scored. That seemed to be the MO against us.

True, and the Einstein quote about the definition of insanity - doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results - comes to mind. It was truly painful to watch the PP sometimes, and I got the impression that any success they had was based on the talent and skill of the guys out there, and not the scheme/strategy.

I can't seem to find a detailed PP breakdown on NHL.com. Right now all I could find is we scored 8 goals in 5-on-3 situations this year, but that doesn't mean anything without some context.

Does Berard still have the vision problem in his one eye?

You know ever since they said his career could be over, I haven't heard too much negative since he came back. I assume he is fine, just as long as he is on the right point. <_< Just kidding BB.

As stated earlier this year, I would like to see Pominville get more time up front.

Free-agent-to-be, Mark Streit.

I really like his game... In fact there are a bunch of guys in Montreal I covet: Higgins, Kovalev, Streit come immediately to mind. I have no idea of UFA/RFA/under contract status of these guys. All I know is when I watch them play, me likey..

I've heard a lot of Liles too. I'm looking at his stat line and it's not that impressive.

80 GP 6 Goals 26 Aassists 32 Points Only 5 PP goals and a +1 Overall

Spacek in only 59 games

9 Goals 23 Assists 32 Points 7 PP Goals, and a +6 Overall.

I've heard a lot of Liles too. I'm looking at his stat line and it's not that impressive.

80 GP 6 Goals 26 Aassists 32 Points Only 5 PP goals and a +1 Overall

Spacek in only 59 games

9 Goals 23 Assists 32 Points 7 PP Goals, and a +6 Overall.

Liles has had an off year, so that should keep his price down a little.

Compare his career numbers to Jaro's (and Campbell's, our last "PP QB") and you'll see a little better why people want him to QB the PP:

Liles - 4th year, age 27

312 GP, 44-115-159, +13; 21 PPG, 69 PPA, 90 PPP

Campbell - 8th year, age 28

410 GP, 35-159-194, +3; 11 PPG, 64 PPA, 75 PPP

Spacek - 10th year, age 34

620 GP, 65-193-258, +22; 29 PPG, 94 PPA, 123 PPP

In half the number of games played and less than half the number of years, Liles is just 30 PPP short of Spacek; in just under 100 fewer GP than Campbell Liles has more goals, more PPG, PPA and PPP, and a better +/-. Liles would be a pretty good upgrade to the power play.

Liles I think is going to be out of the Sabres price range given the market last year for offensive defensemen. Streit I think would be a good fit, but you have to wonder a little if he might just be a product of Montreal's amazing Powerplay system. Dont get me wrong I would like to see either in B&G but those are my concerns

Archived