Luongo Makes Tough Choice

Bmwolf21

From TSN:

The Vancouver Canucks' postseason hopes took some hits on Thursday.

Forward Brendan Morrison is done for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs after suffering a torn ACL, and star goaltender Roberto Luongo has left the club to be with his wife for the birth of their first child.

Morrison, 32, has battled injuries all season and missed significant time (38 games) after having wrist surgery in mid-December. He had nine goals and 16 assists over his 38 games.

It had been expected that Luongo would be leaving the team, but the Canucks are unsure when he will return. Even if the baby is born on Thursday, the Canucks are not certain he will be able to make Friday's important game against the Minnesota Wild.

FWIW, the Canucks are in 8th place, two ahead of Nashville and three ahead of Edmonton. He started in the Canucks' 6-3 loss to Colorado on Wednesday and left the team Thursday. The Canucks play Friday at Minnesota, Sunday vs. Calgary and Tuesday at Colorado.

Thoughts?

From TSN:

FWIW, the Canucks are in 8th place, two ahead of Nashville and three ahead of Edmonton. He started in the Canucks' 6-3 loss to Colorado on Wednesday and left the team Thursday. The Canucks play Friday at Minnesota, Sunday vs. Calgary and Tuesday at Colorado.

Thoughts?

Luongo's wife thinks that Vancouver is like Siberia, wants to have it at home. Why are they having a baby during the playoffs, can't thye count backwards 40 weeks and plan that in the summer? She likes the 7 mill chacks but not the town, oh come-on. Ridiculous.

From TSN:

Thoughts?

Without knowing all the particulars, i.e. and complications or such, this is a hard call especially because its the first born. I am sure his wife wants him there but I can't help but thinking that as someone making over $6 million this year there wasn't a way to have her closer to Vancouver for the last couple of months. On the other hand, I know how important it is to the wife to be in familiar surroundings and with familiar medical personnel.

This is all complicated by the fact that he is not just am employee but someone whose presence has enormous financial implications for not only the franchise but for some of his teammates and other staff.Tough call.

Besides, he'd be a head case during the game, wondering if the kid was born yet, feeling guilty for not being there and worrying about the repercussions.

That said, there are plenty of jobs that pay far less that don't let you run off to witness your child being born. Is it fair to the rest of the team and the hundreds of thousands of fans that he risks their post-season? They knew when they got pregnant that he would playing in the most important part of the season. It was a risk that they accepted.

Luongo's wife thinks that Vancouver is like Siberia, wants to have it at home. Why are they having a baby during the playoffs, can't thye count backwards 40 weeks and plan that in the summer? She likes the 7 mill chacks but not the town, oh come-on. Ridiculous.

Sometimes spndnchz crazy things happen like unplanned pregancies. Maybe she wants the baby where they live so family can visit? I love hockey, but lets put things in perspective. If it was Ryan Miller, I would tell him to go be with his family.

Sometimes spndnchz crazy things happen like unplanned pregancies. Maybe she wants the baby where they live so family can visit? I love hockey, but lets put things in perspective. If it was Ryan Miller, I would tell him to go be with his family.

I say induce the bugger on an idle day.

Everyone cries, says it's beautiful, he starts the next night.

Geez, am I the only guy thinking these things out.

At seven million and needing to win to make the playoffs, I'd rent a house in town and fly everyone there, including my family doctor.

I say induce the bugger on an idle day.

Everyone cries, says it's beautiful, he starts the next night.

Geez, am I the only guy thinking these things out.

This is 2008... If you're going in that direction, cut it out.. :rolleyes:

So the last word of your post describes the rest of your post, right?

:angry:

Nice call X.

If nay on the inducing then I say that it is a non decsion. Be with your with and child. Family takes precident over everything in sports. Unless my wife is telling me that I need to do some inane chore while the game is on then I tell her to pound salt!

At seven million and needing to win to make the playoffs, I'd rent a house in town and fly everyone there, including my family doctor.

Oh c'mon... Even at seven mil that's easier said than done. There could have been to his wife's pregnancy that the general public doesn't know about. Complications, etc. Either way, Luongo is probably better off not being in net right now.

Oh c'mon... Even at seven mil that's easier said than done. There could have been to his wife's pregnancy that the general public doesn't know about. Complications, etc. Either way, Luongo is probably better off not being in net right now.

The Canuks message board said she came early. You only want to induce a kid under certain parameters. Missing a hockey game at 7 mil isn't one of them.

Actually, his wife was having minor complications throughout the pregnancy: http://www.momblognetwork.com/content/robe...e-pregnant-wife

It's from a blog, but it's actually the NHL that is the source. So, given that he skipped the All-Star game due to his wife having complications in the pregnancy, it's a no brainer to be around when the baby is born, which he was. Good for him, and good decision by Luongo. Family is way more important, and if the team can't understand that, then too bad. It's their loss if they suspend him or whatever because he controls the entire fate of that team.

Agreed. Holding my newborn sons is something I will remember until I die. Sports is entertainment, this is life.

To us the fans, it is, to the players, its their job and their means of employement. Its what allows them to have their nice houses for them and their families, give that kid everything it needs growing up, a good education, etc.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to get the time off for the birth, but the team does have every right if they wanted to to say no, we need you to do your job and be ready to play, or to penalize him for missing time. Just because his career is playing a game, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a responsibility.

Its lucky for him and the team that it all worked out in the end and he will be back in time for the game

The team is paying him around $7 million for him to play hockey, and help them make the post season

To us the fans, it is, to the players, its their job and their means of employement. Its what allows them to have their nice houses for them and their families, give that kid everything it needs growing up, a good education, etc.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to get the time off for the birth, but the team does have every right if they wanted to to say no, we need you to do your job and be ready to play, or to penalize him for missing time. Just because his career is playing a game, it doesn't mean he doesn't have a responsibility.

Its lucky for him and the team that it all worked out in the end and he will be back in time for the game

The team is paying him around $7 million for him to play hockey, and help them make the post season

Agreed, but his responsibilty is to his family first. Let's take the example of Troy Williamson of the Vikings. His grandmother died last year and she had raised him. At the same time his brother has been in the hospital, going in and out of a coma. And so Williamson did what anyone would do: he made funeral arrangements. He booked a ticket home to say goodbye to his grandmother and be with his ailing brother. And because of all of that, he told the Vikings that he'd have to miss a game in order to support his family.

A reasonable request, and one that people make every day. Most employers allow for bereavement leave to attend the funeral of a close relative. An employee isn't going to be in their right mind when dealing with the death of a loved one, and besides it's seen as a decent and human thing to do. We're all going to lose loved ones over the course of our lives. Only someone with no basic humanity would object to such a request.

Yes, the Vikings responded to Williamson's request by docking him a game check -- $25,588, based on his salary. That's the same penalty that they imposed on Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie after the infamous "Love Boat" scandal -- one game check.

Those guys were engaged in lewd behavior in public. Williamson was burying his grandma. Public uproar made the Vikings cave on the penalty. Sure he was an employee of the Vikings needing to make the playoffs, but he is also human. Things happen in life that a person must deal with regardless of employment. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't care if I got fined or suspended for missing a hockey game. No amount of money is worth missing that special time. Lucky for him things did work out.

It's an odd situation. If he were playing for an American team he'd be covered under the FMLA. I don't know about Canadian laws. He would go without pay, for the days he missed, but legally I don't think there would be any fines. Technically, he could take unpaid leave for 12 weeks.

Three years ago my wife gave birth to twins, two months early, and they spent eight weeks in Boston, about 45 miles from our house. I took about 4 weeks unpaid as my wife wasn't able to drive after the c-section. It's funny. As the husband, the worst thing in my memory about the experience was bringing my wife home with no babies.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't take the time off, my response is more about the comment that its just a game. I could understand the team saying that they would dock him a game check for missing a game due to it. That would be his choice then, is being there worth a game check, and obviously it would be

Its a tricky situation when you starting comparing entertainer's lives to that of the rest of us. While we all would like to think that we are vital to the success of whatever enitity we are employed by, most of us are in a position were taking a couple of days or even weeks off is not going to effect the well being of said entity. Either there is someone to fill in adequately for us, or our function can be done without for a little while.

Luongo is in a different place. Like I said before, he is vital to the success of that corporation and people's livelihoods are attached to his being there.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but it isn't as easy as saying that he is entitled just like the rest of us. That contract comes with some enormous benefits, it also comes with some complicated responsibilities.

Archived