Yo-Yo-Jochen Hecht grabs his 20th... and 21st...

SDS

So...was it Briere who made Hecht and Pominville look good, or was it Hecht and Pominville that made Briere look (that) good?

I know one thing, it was Jason and Yo-Yo that covered Danny's ass in the defensive zone, and those are two of the best defensive forwards in the game. Philly is finding out the hard way that if you don't have two wet blankets on the ice with Briere, the puck is going to find it's way into the back of your net.

I know one thing, it was Jason and Yo-Yo that covered Danny's ass in the defensive zone, and those are two of the best defensive forwards in the game.

That was why everyone's line got juggled last year except Danny's.

Lindy loves juggling it up. But he never dared with Briere.

I was really happy for Hecht... did you notice that Pominville knew it was number 20 for him as soon as he congratulated him, he hugged him and yelled NUMBER 20!!!! with his head held back. That was really cool, I thought. The guys knew it was the first time to 20 for him and they were all really excited...

I was really happy for Hecht... did you notice that Pominville knew it was number 20 for him as soon as he congratulated him, he hugged him and yelled NUMBER 20!!!! with his head held back. That was really cool, I thought. The guys knew it was the first time to 20 for him and they were all really excited...

Didn't Hecht say in his post-game interview that Pommer thought his 19th was his 20th and congratulated for hitting the mark the last time he scored?

The theories above about Briere are pretty sound. I suppose that one could make the argument that on a line like that, Danny is worth the money he got, but personally, I rather not have to worry about it. Line changes aren't perfect, players get injured, etc. I rather know that all of our guys are at least decent in their own end. Now, if only that were true of our defense ...

Didn't Hecht say in his post-game interview that Pommer thought his 19th was his 20th and congratulated for hitting the mark the last time he scored?

>snip

Yep he did, something to the effect of telling Yokes "don't you want the puck?"

Did we mention this is the first time ever he's hit 20? hit 19 with the Blues. Seems odd he wouldn't have more. I think his shot has gotten better this year.

Did we mention this is the first time ever he's hit 20? hit 19 with the Blues. Seems odd he wouldn't have more. I think his shot has gotten better this year.

Nah, it's just that having to cover for Danny on defense was holding him back. ;)

(Might as well keep the bashing going.)

I was guilty of vastly under-estimating Hecht's value. When TSN's Pierre Maguire was singing his praises last year I was dismissive. Hecht - "he's okay, a workmanlike player" or earlier this year "the Sabres are in trouble if one of their best forwards is Hecht" were among my thoughts.

Oh how wrong I was. (Imagine that - a former professional hockey coach like Maguire having better insight than me. I KNOW. I'm shocked too).

Hecht isn't flashy. But he is pretty close to a complete hockey player. Winger. Centre. Penalty killer. playmaker. strong on the puck. scores the occassional goal. fast. back-checks.

Two thoughts:

i) I don't think I'd trade Hecht straight up for Ryan Smyth of Colorado ... who makes approx $5 mil more per year.

ii) Hecht and Pomminstein will be on the Briere family Christmas Card List for years to come

Archived