Hasek hurt

Two or less

Interesting to learn that Hasek had been complaining about only one day between traveling to Italy and playing. And that he was upset that his equipment was lost along the way, forcing him to borrow some from Sabres goaltending coach Jim Corsi. Add the vagueness of the injury ("tense left leg"), Hasek's fragile psyche and his history of bailing out, and the question becomes a valid one -- is he faking? I doubt it, but with this guy, you just never know.

This is great, Hasek will melt down and you know he'll quit as soon as he doesn't "feel" right.

Interesting to learn that Hasek had been complaining about only one day between traveling to Italy and playing. And that he was upset that his equipment was lost along the way, forcing him to borrow some from Sabres goaltending coach Jim Corsi. Add the vagueness of the injury ("tense left leg"), Hasek's fragile psyche and his history of bailing out, and the question becomes a valid one -- is he faking? I doubt it, but with this guy, you just never know.

2 days to get the official "is he faking" post. I never thought it would take this long to get to it. ;)

That is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Somehow because Jim Kelley the hockey writer, who has a personal beef with Hasek, writes it and repeats it on the radio it somehow becomes truth.

With the style of goal Hasek plays he relies more on his legs then other goalies. He is a reflex goalie more then an angles goalies. His legs are his tools of the trade. He would know more then anyone else when something is wrong. Look how long it took to find Briere's injury?

Hasek is a great goalie who has won at the highest levels. Atheletes that "bail out" don't achieve those lofty standards.

That is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Somehow because Jim Kelley the hockey writer, who has a personal beef with Hasek, writes it and repeats it on the radio it somehow becomes truth.

With the style of goal Hasek plays he relies more on his legs then other goalies. He is a reflex goalie more then an angles goalies. His legs are his tools of the trade. He would know more then anyone else when something is wrong. Look how long it took to find Briere's injury?

Hasek is a great goalie who has won at the highest levels. Atheletes that "bail out" don't achieve those lofty standards.

I know you are a really big Dom supporter, but you have to admit his psyche is fragile at best. He was great when he was in Buffalo but NO ONE in the dressing room really considered Dom one of the guys. This, by no means, is the tell-tale sign of Doms character, but it might offer a glimpse.

He is straight up weird. Should his heart be questioned? Maybe, but the guys that play with him know the real deal and it's them he has to answer to.

I know you are a really big Dom supporter, but you have to admit his psyche is fragile at best. He was great when he was in Buffalo but NO ONE in the dressing room really considered Dom one of the guys. This, by no means, is the tell-tale sign of Doms character, but it might offer a glimpse.

He is straight up weird. Should his heart be questioned? Maybe, but the guys that play with him know the real deal and it's them he has to answer to.

First. All goalies are weird. Who else would stand there in front of rocks being shot at 100 mph?

Second. How much time have you spent in the Sabres locker room? Considering the talent level at the time almost every player (Peca and Zhitnik aside) should have spent every day kissing Hasek's arce.

How can any athelete who rings up a six period shut out against the Devils have his heart challenged. The same goalie that made 40 incredible saves against the Sens that started the Sabres run to the Finals.

I can sit here and shut down servers with the list of Hasek's greatest moments. Hasek is a first ballot Hall Of Fame goalie. The day he retires is the day the Sabres should raise his jersey to the rafters. They should probably even do it before he retires.

For better or worse, greatest and most beloved are two different things ... it's apples and oranges comparing a forward to a goalie in some ways, but like DeLuca says, can't argue with Hart Tropies. No one says we have to like him more.

1. I agree comparing forwards to goalies is apples to oranges.

2. I agree that Dom deserved the Hart trophies - awarded to the league MVP for that season

3. I agree that Dom is a first ballot Hall of Famer, as a matter of fact the only goalie I have seen play - not in person, but in my lifetime - in his league is Tretiak

4. I have #39 on both a blue/gold and a red butter knife jersey

BUT - "greatest" anything is a SUBJECTIVE determination. In my opinion, Bert is without a doubt, the GREATEST SABRE. I hope someday he's not - all that means is that we've enjoyed another extraordinarily special player.

First. All goalies are weird. Who else would stand there in front of rocks being shot at 100 mph?

Second. How much time have you spent in the Sabres locker room? Considering the talent level at the time almost every player (Peca and Zhitnik aside) should have spent every day kissing Hasek's arce.

How can any athelete who rings up a six period shut out against the Devils have his heart challenged. The same goalie that made 40 incredible saves against the Sens that started the Sabres run to the Finals.

I can sit here and shut down servers with the list of Hasek's greatest moments. Hasek is a first ballot Hall Of Fame goalie. The day he retires is the day the Sabres should raise his jersey to the rafters. They should probably even do it before he retires.

Exactly. I can't understand how people in Buffalo hate Hasek. He was, arguably, the best athlete in Buffalo sports history. He was great. I don't blame him at all for wanting to leave. This franchise was dead in the water at the time.

The day he retires is the day the Sabres should raise his jersey to the rafters. They should probably even do it before he retires.

The problem is -- how many times has the guy retired?! :)

DeLuca, can you deny that Hasek bailed out on the Sabres franchise after the 2001 playoffs? Even more so than 1997, that's his biggest bail-out of all. He took the easy route to a Cup. And spare me with this idea that Hasek's dream was to win a Stanley Cup so he could retire in peace. If that's true, why is he still around?

Exactly. I can't understand how people in Buffalo hate Hasek. He was, arguably, the best athlete in Buffalo sports history. He was great. I don't blame him at all for wanting to leave. This franchise was dead in the water at the time.

I've never questioned Dom's greatness or importance to Buffalo as a city and franchise. Maybe if I got to know him personally, I would see things differently. I don't blame him for wanting to leave, I blame him for how he did it. In a cowardly and classless fashion. I won't question him as a Goalie but as a teammate he left a lot to be desired. I just don't like the guy.

Maybe it's just me. I think I have a nuerological disorder. All of my favorite teams icon's I despise. Dom, Jim Kelley, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Nomar and the list goes on.

The problem is -- how many times has the guy retired?! :)

DeLuca, can you deny that Hasek bailed out on the Sabres franchise after the 2001 playoffs? Even more so than 1997, that's his biggest bail-out of all. He took the easy route to a Cup. And spare me with this idea that Hasek's dream was to win a Stanley Cup so he could retire in peace. If that's true, why is he still around?

Because he is a competitor. Being a world class athelete is something fans and media can never understand. We can pretend to. But we're not even close.

1997. I guess being injured means bailing out? What should have Hasek done? Gone out and played and injured himself worse? If he did that then people would be whining that he was selfish and put himself first. Saying he should have taken himself out.

And 2001? The Sabres made it to game seven in overtime. That's bailing? Hasek didn;t bail. The good old Canadian boy Gilmour bailed. Don't blame that on Hasek. Gilmour was the one floating around as he did during most of his time in Buffalo.

I love #11 as much as the next fan. But compared to Hasek they weren't even in the same league. Bert was an all-time Sabre player. Hasek is an all-time NHL player.

I've never questioned Dom's greatness or importance to Buffalo as a city and franchise. Maybe if I got to know him personally, I would see things differently. I don't blame him for wanting to leave, I blame him for how he did it. In a cowardly and classless fashion . I won't question him as a Goalie but as a teammate he left a lot to be desired. I just don't like the guy.

Maybe it's just me. I think I have a nuerological disorder. All of my favorite teams icon's I despise. Dom, Jim Kelley, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Nomar and the list goes on.

Ink? Could you go into more detail?

IF my memeory serves me correctly (don't count on it, I don't), Hasek put forth his trade request through the media. He would have done the franchise a little service had he kept it in house. Maybe he had his reasons, and don't forget, I just don't like him. I'm always going to have a huge bias in this matter.

I don't really want to argue with you. I see your points and agree with most of them. I just don't hold him in the same regard as you do. (as a person, not as a player) I guess the heart of the matter is that you feel I should be more grateful for what he brought to the table. I was always teetering on the fence with Dom. His play spoke for itself but he never endeared himself to me.

IF my memeory serves me correctly (don't count on it, I don't), Hasek put forth his trade request through the media. He would have done the franchise a little service had he kept it in house. Maybe he had his reasons, and don't forget, I just don't like him. I'm always going to have a huge bias in this matter.

I don't really want to argue with you. I see your points and agree with most of them. I just don't hold him in the same regard as you do. (as a person, not as a player) I guess the heart of the matter is that you feel I should be more grateful for what he brought to the table. I was always teetering on the fence with Dom. His play spoke for itself but he never endeared himself to me.

Hasek used his leverage (retirement) to force a trade. Considering the direction the franchise was going who could blame him? As a competitor, Hasek wanted to go to a team that would give him a chance to compete on a high level. He did and was successful. He owes Sabres fans nothing. He left it all on the ice while playing for the Sabres and that's all anyone could expect. But I guess there will be those (not saying you) that revise history to fit their own bitterness. Hasek couldn't bring them a Cup all by himself and when he left the team went down the toilet. I guess they blame him for that to.

;)

I know you are a really big Dom supporter, but you have to admit his psyche is fragile at best.  He was great when he was in Buffalo but NO ONE in the dressing room really considered Dom one of the guys.  This, by no means, is the tell-tale sign of Doms character, but it might offer a glimpse. 

He is straight up weird.  Should his heart be questioned?  Maybe, but the guys that play with him know the real deal and it's them he has to answer to.

I am not entering into the fray on this one, as my position is well known and has been stated far too many times. But, I don't think this is a fair assessment of his psyche. Historically, there have been very few exceptional goalies that "fit in" with the rest of the team. Saying his psyche is fragile because of that is almost as far out there as saying a place kicker's psyche is fragile because HE isn't one of the guys.

And 2001? The Sabres made it to game seven in overtime. That's bailing? Hasek didn;t bail.

I said AFTER the 2001 playoffs. We can all debate whether Hasek folded on the Sabres in 1997, but there should be no doubt he bailed on the franchise in 2001. How can anyone argue that? He forced a trade out of town! He quit on the team. Justify it if you will, but the fact he did it is not in dispute.

I said AFTER the 2001 playoffs. We can all debate whether Hasek folded on the Sabres in 1997, but there should be no doubt he bailed on the franchise in 2001. How can anyone argue that? He forced a trade out of town! He quit on the team. Justify it if you will, but the fact he did it is not in dispute.

So he should have stayed on and imploded with the rest of the franchise? Do you have any understanding on what was going on? The Sabres were not going to pick up the option. The Regis family knew what was going on.

Anyway. Whatever. Be bitter if it works for you. If it saves you some time. Pick which one of the current Sabres you will blame for not winning the Cup this year.

Go Swiss. It's what the Olympics is all about.

And Go Miro. Please will someone post how he sucks again?

And Go Miro. Please will someone post how he sucks again?

Well, I don't think he sucks. He is a floater with amazing hands and a flare for the dramatic. His time with the Sabres was enjoyable. I think the team's transformation to it's current state can be partially traced back to the exodus of Miro. Drury hated him, and demanded he be taken off his line. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a major factor why they let him go. We can debate all day long about what we could have got for him, but in order to do that he would have been under contract. The Sabres weren't going to take the chance of being stuck with him and maybe they were making a statement.

Well, I don't think he sucks. He is a floater with amazing hands and a flare for the dramatic. His time with the Sabres was enjoyable. I think the team's transformation to it's current state can be partially traced back to the exodus of Miro. Drury hated him, and demanded he be taken off his line. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a major factor why they let him go. We can debate all day long about what we could have got for him, but in order to do that he would have been under contract. The Sabres weren't going to take the chance of being stuck with him and maybe they were making a statement.

Ink. I understand what you're saying. And perhaps Miro wasn't a good fit for this team. It just drives me nuts when people try to down play his contributions and those of others like Hasek and Zhitnik. They are all great players who gave everything to this Franchise and somehow find themselves villified because they couldn't win a Cup here. Yet a Rob Ray is revered while doing nothing to get this team closer to a Cup. I'd rather have a player with 200 goals then 200 visits to the local hospitals.

Archived