Decline the Penalty

Allan in MD

As some have been suggesting on the board, it would really be nice if the Sabres could decline penalties incurred by the opposition. They either lead to no scores by the Sabres or a short-handed score by whomever. You almost hate to see the opposition draw a penalty. How do you fix the problem?

It's coaching. Up until last season, the power play was "so called" under Lindy. Last year, he apparently had someone on the staff who knew how to coach power play. He also, of course, had Tim Connolly, a major plus in this regard. Now, with neither of the "fixes" in place, someone has to step in and improvise a fix. Otherwise, we are dead ducks playoff time.

In the meantime, decline the penalty.

Scott Arniel.

I think we miss Arniel and Connolly in equal measure.

I was at the Avalanche game a couple weeks ago. The team was skating a tired road team out of the building until about the 10-minute mark of the first period, when we drew a penalty (again, we were skating circules around them). The 'Lanche got their shorty, and the game was never the same after that. My buddies and I dubbed it a "momentum-killing powerplay" -- there's been a bunch of those this year.

As some have been suggesting on the board, it would really be nice if the Sabres could decline penalties incurred by the opposition. They either lead to no scores by the Sabres or a short-handed score by whomever. You almost hate to see the opposition draw a penalty. How do you fix the problem?

How about having someone stand in the doorway to the bench and skate 4-on-4.

The problem with the power play that I've seen is that the defensman aren't shooting and when they do they dont get it through to the net.

Oftentimes when they do shoot someone is directly in the shooting lane and the result is an odd man rush the other way. I don't mind if they're patient with the puck, especially if they have good puck movement and the end result is a quality scoring chance. In fact I prefer that to just shooting the puck despite the fact that there is no shooting lane.

to make it clear. When I say indecision I mean holding on to the puck to long to make the play. If your gonna shot it from the point shot it, don't hold on to it that extra second or 2. If your gonna pass it then pass it don't sit there and stick handle. And if you don't have the puck then you need to be finding the right spot to be wither that be the side boards for a pass or the front of the net for the rebound.

It's coaching. Up until last season, the power play was "so called" under Lindy. Last year, he apparently had someone on the staff who knew how to coach power play. He also, of course, had Tim Connolly, a major plus in this regard. Now, with neither of the "fixes" in place, someone has to step in and improvise a fix. Otherwise, we are dead ducks playoff time.

In the meantime, decline the penalty.

It shouldn't just be decline the penalty. The team that declines the penalty should be given the puck at the point, (or where the D sets up when the faceoff is outside the zone) for the next 3 faceoffs. When your PP isn't working, that would provide a much more substantial advantage than a 5-on-4.

The problem with the power play that I've seen is that the defensman aren't shooting and when they do they dont get it through to the net.

Hahaha....you would fit right in on WGR 550's "Real Men of Genius" Spoof...perhaps you are the one they were talking about...

Reeaaaall Meeeenn of Geeeniiiuuusss....

Mr "Shoot the Puck on the Poooower-Plaaaay Guy.." The powerplay has been awful. And then you, oh brilliant one have all the answers....shoot the puck....I wonder what it sounds like from the Ice...hey guys, did you hear that guy...we just need to shoot it...why didn't we think of that before??

Archived