GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I have a question for the non trolling Sens Fan. Unlike a certain Ottawa Sun writer who danced around a legitimate question posed to him about the "hit" in question.

If the tables were turned. the Sens were already Injury riddled (Say Heatley, Vermette, Eaves, Schubert, Schaeffer, and McAmmond, trying to match up the type of players we lost) and Adam Mair hits Alfredsson or Spezza(I know alfredsson gets alot of grief so I'm not sure who is more of a fan favorite\more respected ala Drury) with the same hit that Neil hit Drury with, Knocking one of your beloved team leaders out with a possible concussion and a nasty gash to boot... how would your view of the hit be?

I understand it was a clean hit, however Neil did make an effort to skate halfway cross the rink to hit Drury. Hence I do believe there was an intent to injure or at least be alot rougher than a simple "trying to knock you off of the puck" type hit. He approached him from about 7 O'clock, so Drury had no chance of seeing him unless he is an Owl.

No chance in hell you'll get this "shoe on the other foot" scenario answered honestly from ANY Sens fan.

No chance in hell you'll get this "shoe on the other foot" scenario answered honestly from ANY Sens fan.

And yet ask just about any sabre fan and you'll get the same answer. It may have been a clean hit, but it damn well seemed to be alittle more than just a normal hockey hit. There seemed to be a more violent tendency behind what Neil was going to do. I think most people seem to feel more pissed about the hit, because of the situation surrounding it.

Drury is one of our teams' captains and he is a fan favorite. If Novotny suffers the same hit I doubt the uproar would be the same. Maybe the reaction by Ruff in the first game doesn't go to the extent it did. Dagwood seems like he may seem to be the exception to your generalization... then again he may plead the fifth and call no foul, but my question isn't about if the hit was legit or not. Its about if the shoe were on the other foot would the situation at hand affect his outlook on the hit.

We score 2/10th of a second after a period ends. Miss a penalty shot.

Miss 2 pucks in the crease and lose on a fluky goal after being down by 3 goals on the road with 6 rookies in the lineup.

Am I proud of my team? You better believe it.

Would I be sick if my team won like that over a team with 1/3 of their players not NHL ready? You better believe it.

Miss 2 pucks in the crease and lose on a fluky goal after being down by 3 goals on the road with 6 rookies in the lineup.

Would I be sick if my team won like that over a team with 1/3 of their players not NHL ready? You better believe it.

My thoughts exactly... Couldn't have said it better...

Now lets carry it down to Toronto on Tuesday!

I don't feel particularly sick. However, earlier in the season I felt great when the Sens beat your "NHL ready" lineup.

The point is this. It's a long season and lots of things happen. Sabres played well last night. Good on 'em. The sens played a poor third period, but in the end, won the game.

I don't feel particularly sick. However, earlier in the season I felt great when the Sens beat your "NHL ready" lineup.

The point is this. It's a long season and lots of things happen. Sabres played well last night. Good on 'em. The sens played a poor third period, but in the end, won the game.

The real point is this: The Sens won the game but have no shot in hell in winning the division, so gloat all you want. I'm also pretty sure there aren't many Sens fans alive that want to see the Sabres in the playoffs. I would love to play the Sens 4 more times this year. No better feeling than bouncing Ottawa, AGAIN!!!

I have a question for the non trolling Sens Fan(Dagwood). Unlike a certain Ottawa Sun writer who danced around a legitimate question posed to him about the "hit" in question.

If the tables were turned. the Sens were already Injury riddled (Say Heatley, Vermette, Eaves, Schubert, Schaeffer, and McAmmond, trying to match up the type of players we lost) and Adam Mair hits Alfredsson or Spezza(I know alfredsson gets alot of grief so I'm not sure who is more of a fan favorite\more respected ala Drury) with the same hit that Neil hit Drury with, Knocking one of your beloved team leaders out with a possible concussion and a nasty gash to boot... how would your view of the hit be?

Long story short. Of course I would be pissed, especially if my team was losing players every time we played, 8 games in a row. Tucker and the Leafs generated lost of hatred in this City towards Toronto for hits like that, mind you the dislike between these two Citys runs deeper than the game itself. The Flyers did the same to the Sens. That said, I was conveying my point of view that it was clean and that Drury was not targeted by Neil. Phaneuf ran Hamel hard not long ago but it was clean, From the front and had his head down, but he did gett up. The part that blew all of this into a full blown feud was the result of Drury being injured. Had he got up...I'm sure most would have said "WOW...Great hit". Buffalo would have praised Drury for being tough as nails and Cherry would run it on Rock'em Sock'em and everyone would have moved on. Emotions ran high in Buffalo after the series of events leading up to and including the Drury hit. I'm fairly certain it would be the same everywhere on every team. There were indeed comparisons of the Bertuzzi incident following that game...Anyway, I dont want to rehash the entire ordeal again or piss anybody off here so Good luck against Toronto. That should be a good test in itself for the Sabres although I do expect Buffalo to Win.

I get what your saying, but do you feel that had that hit been on alfredsson or heatley would you think it was dirty? I think Drury's status on the sabres is the team captain and fan favorite. Drury is not Denny Hamel. Like I said had that hit been on Novotny this would be moot point it was a tough hit and he got injured. the way Neil hit our captain is why I think is why the outcry is intense. Neil ran our captain he was headhunting.

"Shoe on the other foot":

How do you think the LEAGUE would respond to a hit like Neil's if it took out Sidney CROSBY?

How would Garrioch or the league respond to Golisano's letter, if it were written by a new Penguins owner instead?

Those two scenarios require a response from the NHL since they are the ones that have the consistency of Jello with their descisions and punishments. Fans can't control what the Media spews or the random decisions from Colin Campbell. Garrioch is an idiot and carries little respect around here except that he does come up with the odd tidbit now and then. The Man does not belong on TV let alone Radio.

I get what your saying, but do you feel that had that hit been on alfredsson or heatley would you think it was dirty? I think Drury's status on the sabres is the team captain and fan favorite. Drury is not Denny Hamel. Like I said had that hit been on Novotny this would be moot point it was a tough hit and he got injured. the way Neil hit our captain is why I think is why the outcry is intense. Neil ran our captain he was headhunting.

I think the answer to this question can only be answered based on the type of fan you are.

If I'm a fan who simply watches games and learns my information from the Media and others opinions, then Yes I would think it was dirty.

If I'm a fan that simply sees something happen and then base my entire judgement without further review, then Yes.. The hit is dirty.

If I'm a fan that caps games, watches all the replays, reviews those plays again and follows all the reports in the Papers, NHL Centre Ice, NHL on the Fly, Sportsnet, TSN and everything else..

Then initally I would probably be upset, then change my opinion based on research to it being a clean hit that caught Drury with his head down, .5 seconds after the puck left his stick by a guy who lives to hit, leads the league in hits and is paid to cause #%^$#! and exploded on an unsuspecting player who simply wore a jersey from the opposing team and all of it made worse because his head hit the ice in a most unfortunate turn of events. <Sorry> The Sens just happened to be the Team in town to bring it all to the surface.

again, I agree with just about points except his head was not down... Drury was facing the play he had just made... with his head up, If Neil hits him from an angle that was more in front of him... fine... nice hit. Unfortunately he came from his blindside.

Also, your not really answering my question...

If the hit is on Heatley Spezza or Alfie do you think you would not be pissed? Drury is part of the heart of the sabres not some 3rd or 4th liner who no one really cares about (I.E. Novotny) so you can see why all of Buffalo is pissed about the hit. Your goon/Pest Blindsided our captain which resulted in injury.

To make things easier... Consider the hit on Mcgratton that Kaleta delivered. Its Brian McGratton, He's a goon and not gonna be counted on to score the game wining goal in Game 7 of an intense playoff series. Now what if that hit was on Alfredsson he got sent flying into the bench which bloodied him up. Possibly knocking him out for a few games. you can't truthfully say, wow that was a great hit I can't be pissed at that hit even though he hit our captain and possibly injured him for a few games.

All I'm trying to get at is If that type of hit befell one of your top players you would be questioning the hit as headhunting too.

I think the answer to this question can only be answered based on the type of fan you are.

If I'm a fan who simply watches games and learns my information from the Media and others opinions, then Yes I would think it was dirty.

If I'm a fan that simply sees something happen and then base my entire judgement without further review, then Yes.. The hit is dirty.

If I'm a fan that caps games, watches all the replays, reviews those plays again and follows all the reports in the Papers, NHL Centre Ice, NHL on the Fly, Sportsnet, TSN and everything else..

Then initally I would probably be upset, then change my opinion based on research to it being a clean hit that caught Drury with his head down, .5 seconds after the puck left his stick by a guy who lives to hit, leads the league in hits and is paid to cause #%^$#! and exploded on an unsuspecting player who simply wore a jersey from the opposing team and all of it made worse because his head hit the ice in a most unfortunate turn of events. <Sorry> The Sens just happened to be the Team in town to bring it all to the surface.

Drury had his head up, so you obviously need glasses.

This post is directed squarely at Dagwood. You need to get a few things straight:

If an action on the ice needs many, many replays AND in-depth analysis to determine if it was clean or not, then BY DEFINITION it wasn't. Replays and analysis may show no clear rule violation, thus making it non-"dirty" but that doesn't make it clean, just borderline.

You deliberately cling to the false notion that Drury had his head down. It has been shown on this forum through video and screen caps that Drury had his head up when he was hit. This is an indisputable fact that you disregard in an attempt to shift blame away from Neil. If you fail to stop making this assertation you will be admitting your bias that you so profusely try to disown.

Drury was initially injured on contact with Neil, not the ice:

"Drury said he lost consciousness on the initial hit and woke up when he landed facefirst." - Buffalo News, February 26, 2007.

Meaning that the injury cannot be blamed simply on an unlucky fall as you keep implying. Neil skated at least a quarter of the width of the ice while behind Drury until the very last instant to knock Drury unconscious with a blow to the head after Drury, with his head up, had already shot the puck and let up on his skating. It may not have broken any rule, but that certainly doesn't make it clean. Try to spin it as much as you want but in the end, it's just spin.

This post is directed squarely at Dagwood. You need to get a few things straight:

If an action on the ice needs many, many replays AND in-depth analysis to determine if it was clean or not, then BY DEFINITION it wasn't. Replays and analysis may show no clear rule violation, thus making it non-"dirty" but that doesn't make it clean, just borderline.

You deliberately cling to the false notion that Drury had his head down. It has been shown on this forum through video and screen caps that Drury had his head up when he was hit. This is an indisputable fact that you disregard in an attempt to shift blame away from Neil. If you fail to stop making this assertation you will be admitting your bias that you so profusely try to disown.

Drury was initially injured on contact with Neil, not the ice:

"Drury said he lost consciousness on the initial hit and woke up when he landed facefirst." - Buffalo News, February 26, 2007.

Meaning that the injury cannot be blamed simply on an unlucky fall as you keep implying. Neil skated at least a quarter of the width of the ice while behind Drury until the very last instant to knock Drury unconscious with a blow to the head after Drury, with his head up, had already shot the puck and let up on his skating. It may not have broken any rule, but that certainly doesn't make it clean. Try to spin it as much as you want but in the end, it's just spin.

Tough crowd....

Listen, if all you want to know is "Would I be pissed" if it happened to one of the Sens? Of course I would, which fan wouldn't be? To be frank with you... I love having Neiler on our team. The guy plays with Heart, shows up game after game and is the type of player that other teams need to keep in mind when on the Ice. He is also the type of player that doesn't get much respect from opposing teams fans and their respective teams. I'm sorry that Drury got hurt...but it doesn't change the fact I loved every second of that clip as a Sens Fan...just as you probably would have if the "Shoe were on the other foot"

Good luck the rest of the way. Anything more to this thread is simply a matter of worthless bickering which I prefer to leave to the kids.

Tough crowd....

Listen, if all you want to know is "Would I be pissed" if it happened to one of the Sens? Of course I would, which fan wouldn't be? To be frank with you... I love having Neiler on our team. The guy plays with Heart, shows up game after game and is the type of player that other teams need to keep in mind when on the Ice. He is also the type of player that doesn't get much respect from opposing teams fans and their respective teams. I'm sorry that Drury got hurt...but it doesn't change the fact I loved every second of that clip as a Sens Fan...just as you probably would have if the "Shoe were on the other foot"

Good luck the rest of the way. Anything more to this thread is simply a matter of worthless bickering which I prefer to leave to the kids.

Nice post. :)

Tough crowd....

I'm glad you responded. I'm also glad you acknowledge that if you the shoes were switched you would be equally angry.

Neil's energy and intensity level is admirable. The reason he does not get respect from other teams (and why he is reprehensible in my eyes) is because he enjoys seriously injuring opposing players. Campbell and Schaeffer took so much less flack last year for hits partly because they weren't dancing around the ice smiling about it afterwards. Neil did that, and he also made up excuses (such as Drury had his head down) while never even acknowledging Drury was badly hurt. He defies basic sportmanship.

The real point is this: The Sens won the game but have no shot in hell in winning the division, so gloat all you want. I'm also pretty sure there aren't many Sens fans alive that want to see the Sabres in the playoffs. I would love to play the Sens 4 more times this year. No better feeling than bouncing Ottawa, AGAIN!!!

Win the division. You really have your sights set pretty high.

Archived