This is the litmus test

wjag

Our next five will tell us a lot about this team. Stocked with the JV, can they compete at the NHL level against teams with incentive?

Some of you will truly jump on this next statement, but I'm just gonna let it fly anyway.

How the Sabres do in these next five will go a long way to determining how far they will go in the playoffs. If they can compete and win, then I'll feel pretty good about the post season. If they get exposed as a JV-laced team, then I think we'll be ripe for an early exit. We've had a tough time winning consistently in the division and now we are looking at 3 road games and five divisional opponents.

The six, er seven guys who are out may (1) not comeback, (2) have a setback in rehab, (3) play at a level subpar of expectation, or (4) be traded (although not as likely, thinking Max and Max only here).

So until I see them on the active roster, the team that played Philly last night is the team that will enter the post season (well with one more body from somewhere). I just don't believe you can add back that many people and have any chemistry immediately. Especially in do or die time.

It all starts with the Sens.. Let's knock 'em back on Thursday and start this off right.

Our next five will tell us a lot about this team. Stocked with the JV, can they compete at the NHL level against teams with incentive.

Some of you will truly jump on this next statement, but I'm just gonna let it fly anyway.

How the Sabres do in these next five will go a long way to determining how far they will go in the playoffs. If they can compete and win, then I'll feel pretty good about the post season. If they get exposed as a JV-laced team, then I think we'll be ripe for an early exit. We've had a tough time winning consistently in the division and now we are looking at 3 road games and five divisional opponents.

The six, er seven guys who are out may (1) not comeback, (2) have a setback in rehab, (3) play at a level subpar of expectation, or (4) be traded (although not as likely, thinking Max and Max only here).

So until I see them on the active roster, the team that played Philly last night is the team that will enter the post season (well with one more body from somewhere). I just don't believe you can add back that many people and have any chemistry immediately. Especially in do or die time.

It all starts with the Sens.. Let's knock 'em back on Thursday and start this off right.

Not a chance. There is no way in the world we are trading Max. He's our 2nd leading scorer, averaging over a point per game, under contract at a reasonable cost for another 2 years and one of the most exciting players in the NHL.

Having said that, I agree with most of your post. This is a big litmus test given the number of division games and road games. We certainly don't know how much we can expect to get out of Max, Spacek, Novotny, Connolly, Paille or Kotalik upon their returns. There are reasons to be concerned about each of them. Peters will not be playing in the postseason. We are probably going to need significant contributions from at least a couple of the kids if we want to make another deep playoff run.

Of course, Briere and Drury sure seem like they're capable of carrying this team a long way, don't they? Esp. with Tallinder and Miller back there?

Go Sabres.

I don't agree with the litmus test comment. Assuming we get guys back when they are telling us we will (by the playoffs) how can you say that playing these teams without Max, Spacek, Paille, Novotny, Kotalik and possibly Conolly and a trade is a litmus test?

I say it because we don't have them now, and we may not. Guys might rush back and get re-injured. Guys might not come back. Guys might get traded. Other guys might go down. That can't happen right? I mean what is the probability of losing a player in FIVE straight games? Unthinkable at three, ridiculous at four, unbelievable at five. What's to say another one doesn't go down against the Sens? Briere said tongue-and-cheek "at least it wasn't two"..

These next five games are against teams who very likely may be three of the eight seeds. And they know how to play the healthy Sabres man-up. I think these teams are a real good barometer of how good this current team is. Your fantasy team is on the bench.

Gaustad is out. Of the remaining walking wounded, Max is the only one I think we need back ASAP. The rest could very well watch the post season from the press box IMO.

Think about it. Do we really want a rusty Kotalik back in when Stafford has 24 games under his belt? I'm all for getting the A team back, but not at the start of the playoffs. If these guys can come back in with a couple of weeks left, that would allow the team to readjust. Timing and chemistry are everything come playoff time.

Not a chance. There is no way in the world we are trading Max. He's our 2nd leading scorer, averaging over a point per game, under contract at a reasonable cost for another 2 years and one of the most exciting players in the NHL.

I agree with you. Just thinking out loud. He's a guy a team might take even though he is injured now. Let me be clear, in no way do I want to see Max play for anyone else. We simply don't have much to trade with. Hell even our best prospects are locking up roster spots.

Couldn't agree more.

Our next five will tell us a lot about this team. Stocked with the JV, can they compete at the NHL level against teams with incentive?

Two of the three teams they play probably won't even make the playoffs. With the Sabres having 5-6 guys who won't even be on the roster at playoff time I don't see how it can be considered a harbanger of things to come.

Keeping in mind that the Sabres won't be a "JV team" come mid-April, I don't think this statement is valid. Yes, it's possible that 1 or 2 guys might have a setback in rehab or not come back and play at the level they had been, but I'm willing to bet that not every one of the injured will have problems coming back.

This team will be ready....and considering they prepare everyone in Rochester to be called up at any moment, I think they'll be fine. They may lose a few games, but they won't be for lack of effort.

Archived