Cookie Monster

El Chucko

What's the deal with Jeanneret's "Cookie Monster" stuff? I know Briere looks like he's seven years old, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a Sesame Street fan.

Seriously, I love Jeanneret (I even have his name on a jersey), but I doubt that these calls will make it to DVD anytime soon. Where did he get it from?

rick jeanneret called Briere the "cookie monster" after a goal that he roofed top shelf and commented that Briere always goes top shelf on his goals. its kind of like druuuuuury and pat lalalalafontaine type thing, where rick said it in his drunkeness and it stuck. ever since hes been calling him the cookie monster

Of course it does :) . The "Cookie Monster" call rules.

(Working from memory), the first time Jeanneret called Danny "cookie monster" was in the Atlanta game Feb 6th. Danny scored two regulation goals and a shootout goal "top shelf". I think it was after the shootout goal that he called him cookie monster.

(Working from memory), the first time Jeanneret called Danny "cookie monster" was in the Atlanta game Feb 6th. Danny scored two regulation goals and a shootout goal "top shelf". I think it was after the shootout goal that he called him cookie monster.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find the original call from that game.

Actually, that's a brilliant nick-name. We're in an era of canned comments, safe replies and political correctness in the hockey world.

No one dares say anything that could be a headline the next day.

Back when I first started watching hockey, you had Dave "the Hammer" Schultz, "King Kong" Korab, Dave " Tiger" Williams, "Clear the Track, here comes Shack", and on and on.

Now, nobody wants to stand out and if they do, Sean Avery, the guy is vilified for it by everyone. I believe a guy can still be a class-act and be outspoken.

Generally, the range of nick-names for hockey players nowadays is if you're Miller, it's Millsie, or Tucker might be Tucks, Drury is Dru, Peters is Petey. Pominville is Pommers. The reporters worked overtime to dream up Sid the Kid. Wow. Creativity abounds. That's as trite as the formula answers you get before and after the game. Yawn.

Cookie Monster is great. I can even live with Soupy Campbell. Let's get a little flavor out there.

Maybe we should start a thread with some possible nick-names. Most creative, yet sensible name wins. I'll start. Ryan "Caveman" Miller. "Mad Max" Afinogenov. I'm sure you can do better than that.

RJ drinks? Say it ain't so! :blink: :beer:

EVERYBODY in Buffalo drinks!

after all, that's what makes Buffalo great!

Ryan "Caveman" Miller.

And when he steals someone blind on a scoring attempt, RJ could shriek, "So easy, even a CAVEMAN can do it!!!" :lol:

EVERYBODY in Buffalo drinks!

after all, that's what makes Buffalo great!

And when he steals someone blind on a scoring attempt, RJ could shriek, "So easy, even a CAVEMAN can do it!!!" :lol:

Now yer talking. That's pretty darn funny. Who's that shirt-maker on this board? Try and design a shirt with Miller making a save, but an over-sized caricature head of Miller (looking particularly caveman-esque) and that catch-phrase attached to it.

I would wear a shirt like that. I can see it now, you fans in Buffalo can show up to the game sporting a geico cave-man wig and scruffy beard with Miller shirts on that say Captain Caveman. I would about die laughing to see that.

Only problem is Miller seems like the type who would hate that nick-name. But hey, what can you do, if you look like someone, you look like someone, embrace the nick-name.

great stuff on that caveman joke. its brilliant and i can just picture rick screaming off his rocker how "the caveman just invented fire - hes that hot" and more puns on the gieco commercials about psychologists or roast duck or the escalator ones. the possibilities are endless.

anyone send these ideas to rick himself - it might just make him that much better.

Archived