If I were the flyers GM

Hawk

I wouldnt resign Forsburg, but instead go after Drury and or Ryan Smith (for size and toughness) and then use my remaining cap space to resign Gagne and get a couple fleet of foot mid price defenseman. Nashvilles got the Cripple, Let them deal with him.

I wouldnt resign Forsburg, but instead go after Drury and or Ryan Smith (for size and toughness) and then use my remaining cap space to resign Gagne and get a couple fleet of foot mid price defenseman. Nashvilles got the Cripple, Let them deal with him.

...and they would still have no goaltending. <_<

...and they would still have no goaltending. <_<

After I posted that I said "Someone is going to bring up Goaltending". Another issue for that team, but they have a lot of cap space. Rebuilding for a couple years anyways.

Who knows, if Drury went to Philly, I may become a Flyer fan.. I cant believe I just said that!!! :doh: : :doh: :doh: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

After I posted that I said "Someone is going to bring up Goaltending". Another issue for that team, but they have a lot of cap space. Rebuilding for a couple years anyways.

Who knows, if Drury went to Philly, I may become a Flyer fan.. I cant believe I just said that!!! :doh: : :doh: :doh: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

nobody can. A pox on your house.

The Flyers are in much deeper trouble then they can sign themselves out of.

This is a team that has gotten so used to outspending everybody over the last 10 years, that they've forgotten how to develop their own talent, barring two or three exceptions.

They'll keep signing overrated, overpaid has-beens, just wait and see what happens in the off-season. Sure, they may sign Drury, but for every decent signing this team makes, they make at least three ridiculous ones.

Plus, signing Drury at 6-7 million isn't an all that decent signing, which is what I see them doing. I like Drury, but I'd pay about 5 mill. for him at the absolute max. Look at Tampa and their top three guys. Way too much cash blown on three players.

Plus, Drury is no fool. He'll only go play for a crap team like that if there's HUGE bucks involved, I doubt he'll jump ship for an extra 500k a year.

If the Flyers are 3 or 4 years away from competing, Drury, at 30, might not fit into their time frame.

If I were the Flyers GM, I would continue to try to trade away veterens for draft picks, and then use those picks to go after RFAs like Vanek, who are younger and fit better into their rebuilding arc.

With the cap, I think any team can really make a good run at least once out of 3 years, no matter how bad they are currently. Niittymaki is their goalie of the future and will be good when he is healthy. Flyers got little production out their young players (Carter, Richards, Calder) this year. They will not be this terrible next year.

I thought I would never say this but Rob Ray hit it right n the head last night.

This is a 100% Don Luce Sabres style move. To pick up 3 first round talents, a third round pick and escape the $5.75 million boulder the Flyers were trapped under is a great move.

I also think they picked up Zhitnik with the idea of moving him at the deadline to a team desperate for defense help. To convert Zhitnik into a prospect or a second or third round pick would be another great move. I wouldn't be surprised to see hatcher and Rathje moved in a similar fashion.

I also agree with jad1 that it is way too soon for a Drury type move. They have Gagne who is a great player to have as the face of the franchise. If the Flyers can just stay the course they may be able to undo all the damage Bobby Clarke did to the franchise much sooner then first thought. It's up to the Flyers ownership to trust Don Luce.

I know people hate the Flyers. But the NHL is just better when they are good. It's fun beating them in the playoffs. I'm just an old timer but I like when teams such as the Bruins, Habs and Flyers are good. I couldn't care less about Carolina, Tampa Bay or Nashville.

I also think they picked up Zhitnik with the idea of moving him at the deadline to a team desperate for defense help. To convert Zhitnik into a prospect or a second or third round pick would be another great move. I wouldn't be surprised to see hatcher and Rathje moved in a similar fashion.

The only problem is that they gave up a pretty good prospect in Freddy Meyer to bring him in. They might get a little younger if they do end up moving Zhitnik, but I'm still scratching my head over that one.

The only problem is that they gave up a pretty good prospect in Freddy Meyer to bring him in. They might get a little younger if they do end up moving Zhitnik, but I'm still scratching my head over that one.

I don't think Myers fits the mould Luce is looking for. He is kind of small for a defenseman and doesn't have much of an offensive game to compensate for the lack of size ala a Brian Campbell.

The NHLPA has no draft information listed for Meyer so I will guess he is an undrafted free agent which means the Flyers had little invested in him. If he were a 2nd or 3rd round pick I may have shared your surprise.

I thought I would never say this but Rob Ray hit it right n the head last night.

This is a 100% Don Luce Sabres style move. To pick up 3 first round talents, a third round pick and escape the $5.75 million boulder the Flyers were trapped under is a great move.

I also agree with jad1 that it is way too soon for a Drury type move. They have Gagne who is a great player to have as the face of the franchise. If the Flyers can just stay the course they may be able to undo all the damage Bobby Clarke did to the franchise much sooner then first thought. It's up to the Flyers ownership to trust Don Luce.

I know people hate the Flyers. But the NHL is just better when they are good. It's fun beating them in the playoffs. I'm just an old timer but I like when teams such as the Bruins, Habs and Flyers are good. I couldn't care less about Carolina, Tampa Bay or Nashville.

DeLuca -- I agree with just about everything in your post except the boulder. Why were they trapped? Forsberg is a UFA after this year. Still a good move to trade him for prospects and picks though (assuming Luce gets good mileage out of the prospects and picks, which is always somewhat of a crapshoot).

BTW, I don't think I knew that Luce was the new GM. Shame on me. Another reason to half-root for the Flyers -- and I definitely agree that it's better for the NHL if the Flyers are good.

I don't think Myers fits the mould Luce is looking for. He is kind of small for a defenseman and doesn't have much of an offensive game to compensate for the lack of size ala a Brian Campbell.

The NHLPA has no draft information listed for Meyer so I will guess he is an undrafted free agent which means the Flyers had little invested in him. If he were a 2nd or 3rd round pick I may have shared your surprise.

Yeah, he was undrafted, but that doesn't mean that the team had little invested in him. The fact that he was on their NHL roster (and in their system for 4 years) says otherwise. Judging a player based solely on his draft status is a mistake. As a quick example easy enough for everyone around here, I'm sure most would value Paul Gaustad higher than a 7th round draft pick.

The rumor going around is that they are about to deal him to The City of Philladelphia Traffic department for 2 meter maids to be named later. The City of Philladelphia is getting thin on giant orange pylons, and have plenty of depth at meter maid so this deal works well for both teams

As for Forsberg and his deal, when healthy he is a force on the ice and will move the Preds up to Cup favorite right now. It shows they are determined to win the cup at all costs this season, and Philly gets something in return for someone whos not quaranteed to be back next season

DeLuca -- I agree with just about everything in your post except the boulder. Why were they trapped? Forsberg is a UFA after this year. Still a good move to trade him for prospects and picks though (assuming Luce gets good mileage out of the prospects and picks, which is always somewhat of a crapshoot).

BTW, I don't think I knew that Luce was the new GM. Shame on me. Another reason to half-root for the Flyers -- and I definitely agree that it's better for the NHL if the Flyers are good.

Luce is not the Flyers GM. Paul Holmgren is. Luce was brought in as the Director of Player Development. They brought him in because of all the success the Sabres have had with the young talent. He may have not been the one to pull the trigger. I have no doubt he is the one to go out and scout Nashville and walked into Holmgren's office and said this is our deal.

You are right about the size of the boulder. The Flyers will be saving $1.75 million of Forsberg contract. I should have prorated it. That is still a huge amount to pay a player that does nothing to help your situation over the final 25 games.

The rumor going around is that they are about to deal him to The City of Philladelphia Traffic department for 2 meter maids to be named later. The City of Philladelphia is getting thin on giant orange pylons, and have plenty of depth at meter maid so this deal works well for both teams

:lol:

As for Forsberg and his deal, when healthy he is a force on the ice and will move the Preds up to Cup favorite right now. It shows they are determined to win the cup at all costs this season, and Philly gets a lot in return for someone whos not quaranteed to be back next season

Fixed it for you. ;)

Yeah, he was undrafted, but that doesn't mean that the team had little invested in him. The fact that he was on their NHL roster (and in their system for 4 years) says otherwise. Judging a player based solely on his draft status is a mistake. As a quick example easy enough for everyone around here, I'm sure most would value Paul Gaustad higher than a 7th round draft pick.

I'm not saying Meyer is garbage. I'm saying it's easier for a team to move a undrafted free agent who may be on the bubble then say a top pick. A teams ego sometimes won't allow it.

The financial investment of a walk on is far less than that of a top draft pick. Finding a quality walk on is like finding $20 in your pocket. Instead of saving it you find it easier to spend.

As for Forsberg and his deal, when healthy he is a force on the ice and will move the Preds up to Cup favorite right now. It shows they are determined to win the cup at all costs this season, and Philly gets something in return for someone whos not quaranteed to be back next season

Considering the competition in the West I'm not sure if any team can be considered a clear cut favorite. The Ducks will get healthy. The Red Wings are being the Red Wings. The Preds still have the Wings to play 5 times over this final stretch.

Considering the competition in the West I'm not sure if any team can be considered a clear cut favorite. The Ducks will get healthy. The Red Wings are being the Red Wings. The Preds still have the Wings to play 5 times over this final stretch.

Its true, theres still time for teams to make a run and get healthy, make a deal, or go on a streak, but right now, I would say the Preds are the favorite for the cup as long as Forsberg is healthy

Its true, theres still time for teams to make a run and get healthy, make a deal, or go on a streak, but right now, I would say the Preds are the favorite for the cup as long as Forsberg is healthy

The Preds placed a huge bet on Forsberg's health. To use a poker term they went all in.

The Preds placed a huge bet on Forsberg's health. To use a poker term they went all in.

No doubt. It's a last ditch effort to see if the Nashville market will respond to the move. If the team doesn't start drawing more than 13,000 fans to their games, the team could be headed to a more receptive region.

Archived