This Day in Sabres History: February 15th

PASabreFan

February 15, 1989

Mike Foligno is named captain two days after Lindy Ruff turns in the C. The Sabres beat New Jersey at the Aud, 5-3.

February 15, 1995

Alexei Zhitnik scores on his first shot in his first game as a Sabre in a 2-1 loss to the Rangers at the Aud.

February 15, 1996

The Sabres trade defenseman Craig Muni and a first-round draft choice in 1996 to Winnipeg for Michal Grosek and Darryl Shannon.

February 15, 2003

Over 18,000 fans at HSBC Arena watch as Marty Biron makes 48 saves and Miroslav Satan scores on a penalty shot as the Sabres defeat the Rangers, 5-4, to snap a franchise-long eight-game losing streak.

February 15, 1989

Mike Foligno is named captain two days after Lindy Ruff turns in the C. The Sabres beat New Jersey at the Aud, 5-3.

February 15, 1995

Alexei Zhitnik scores on his first shot in his first game as a Sabre in a 2-1 loss to the Rangers at the Aud.

February 15, 1996

The Sabres trade defenseman Craig Muni and a first-round draft choice in 1996 to Winnipeg for Michal Grosek and Darryl Shannon.

February 15, 2003

Over 18,000 fans at HSBC Arena watch as Marty Biron makes 48 saves and Miroslav Satan scores on a penalty shot as the Sabres defeat the Rangers, 5-4, to snap a franchise-long eight-game losing streak.

Wasn't that the infamous Messier shot into the open net for the winner game?

I know it's the game where Zhitnik pushed Graves with one hand from the goalline into the boards HARD.

Wasn't Rick Dudley the coach in 89?

He took over for '89-'90 after Sator made a goaltender decision that even Captain Hook wouldn't have made. Cloutier shut out the Bruins in game 1 in the Gaaaden. So rather than come back with Jacques in game 2 (why bother riding the hot goalie), he put Malarchuk in for IIRC his 1st start since he had nearly died. I did mention that the start was in the friggin' Baaaston Gaaaden, right? :angry: (What a great way to let a goalie get back into action, start him in the playoffs in one of the most difficult rinks for a visitor to play in AFTER the other guy pitched a goose egg. :doh: )

He went back to Cloutier for the rest of the series, but the damage had already been done and the Sabres were out in 5 and Ted was out the door.

You mean where he came in on two on one, took the puck all the way behind the net, had a guy wide open in front but kept going and shot it in open net? I don't know if that was the same game but remember the goal

No, the Strangers cleared the puck out of their zone late in the 3rd and the puck was going slowly into the Sabres end. Messier was going to have a breakaway, but everybody's favorite 2x Hart Trophy whipping boy thought he could beat Messier to the puck. The 6x Vezina winner was wrong, kind of slid toward Messier and the puck once he realized he was in no man's land, Messier sidestepped him and walked in essentially from the blue line to an empty net. Ooops.

No, the Strangers cleared the puck out of their zone late in the 3rd and the puck was going slowly into the Sabres end. Messier was going to have a breakaway, but everybody's favorite 2x Hart Trophy whipping boy thought he could beat Messier to the puck. The 6x Vezina winner was wrong, kind of slid toward Messier and the puck once he realized he was in no man's land, Messier sidestepped him and walked in essentially from the blue line to an empty net. Ooops.

I guess I was thinking of something else

Archived