Connolly's Return...

cesna

OK... I am not buying the whole "two month" thing the Sabres are putting out there about Timmy's return. I think he will play his first game in early March!!!!

I honestly don't think that's out of the question. Jim Lorentz said last night that he's skating regularly with the team now (during practice). While this doesn't mean he'll be playing real games anytime soon, it's definitely a real good sign. If he's really ready, I'd be ecstatic if he comes back in a month.

Considering that skating in practice and skating in real games are two completely different things, can they send him to Rochester to get into some form of game shape? Is that even possible with him?

Im not 100% on this but I think he can go down and do a 5 day thing in Rochester but some other CBA guys would know more.

I just checked the Amerks schedule in case this is accurate. In late Feb or early March the most he could do was get 3 games in in a 5 day period. Feb. 21, 23, 24. Interestingly that stretch would begin one day before the trading deadline.

OK... I am not buying the whole "two month" thing the Sabres are putting out there about Timmy's return. I think he will play his first game in early March!!!!

I'm encouraged TC is skating. That being said, the drills he is participating in our all non-contact drills. Also, up until a month or so again, he wasn't able to exercise at all. He can't be anywhere near game shape.

I'll be more satisfied when he makes it through the drill, where TC skates along the boards and Lindy has someone take a run at him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm encouraged TC is skating. That being said, the drills he is participating in our all non-contact drills. Also, up until a month or so again, he wasn't able to exercise at all. He can't be anywhere near game shape.

I think the first reports of him 'exercising' were in late November/early December - albeit it was only on the exercise bike, but yeah, he still probably couldn't be ready for a while.

Im not 100% on this but I think he can go down and do a 5 day thing in Rochester but some other CBA guys would know more.

This was brought up to Lindy on WGR a couple of weeks ago. Lindy said even if they could, they would not send Connolly down to Rachacha for conditioning. When he is ready to go, he'll be in the Sabres lineup in a limited role.

This was brought up to Lindy on WGR a couple of weeks ago. Lindy said even if they could, they would not send Connolly down to Rachacha for conditioning. When he is ready to go, he'll be in the Sabres lineup in a limited role.

Due to where they are wrt the salary cap, that makes sense. Unless someone else is on BLTI-IR, or someone has been traded or waived, the Sabres will have to send the guys who started the year with the Amerks back to Ra-cha-cha when Timmy's salary no longer gets the BLTI-IR status. That occurs when he is activated back onto the roster OR when he begins a conditioning stint.

can anyone accuartely describe what will happen capwise and player wise if he returns, since arent we over the cap based on bringing players up from the amerks?

Basically, like dave said, they'll have to go back to the original roster from day 1 (unless they trade someone before that). So Paille needs to be sent back.

Briere Hecht Pominville

Drury Kotalik Gaustad

Roy Vanek Afinogenov

Novotny Mair Peters

Connolly

Numminen Kalinen

Tallinder Lydman

Spacek Campbell

Paetsch

Miller Biron

This leaves the team with around 200k worth of cap space. Dropping a guy like Peters wouldn't free up enough cash to keep Paille on the roster. Paille doesn't have to clear waivers though, so there's no risk of losing him.

Come playoff time, all salaries have been paid, so essentially the cap is gone. They can call up anyone they want.

I'll be more satisfied when he makes it through the drill, where TC skates along the boards and Lindy has someone take a run at him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lindy was on the morning talk show with Howard Simon and Jeremy White last week and he said he felt Connolly could probably withstand contact now and have no-ill effects, but he said why risk a setback when he isn't even in shape to play yet...smart decision IMHO

There is hope for TC... Look at what Patrick Lalime did after he herniated a disk and had surgery...

Came back strong... We will see how long?

Lalime hadn't played an NHL game since last April after undergoing surgery for a herniated disk in September. However, he was 3-1 with a .930 save-percentage during a recent conditioning stint in the AHL, and it carried over with Chicago as he made his best save on Trevor Linden's power-play tip midway through the third period.

Archived