Official NHL Trades Thread

Bmwolf21

wow, now I almost hope the Sabres do nothing, that is ridiculous

I agree, I really like what I've seen from the call-ups thus far, most notably Paille, Stafford and to a lesser extent MacArthur, and would not want to see us losing one (or more) of them plus a couple picks for a rental player. I'd rather see a couple moves made for depth or to upgrade someone if possible.

Wow, I heard the asking prices were going to be steep this year at the deadline, but man that is a ton to give up on a rental player.

Atlanta gives away:

C Glenn Metropolit

1st round pick in 2007

3rd round pick in 2007

2nd round pick in 2008

and if Tkachuk signs w/St.Louis in the offseason, a conditional 1st rounder in 2008

wow, now I almost hope the Sabres do nothing, that is ridiculous

This trade from the same man who picked Esche and Grahme over Miller. I heard the news of the trade in the car and couldn't believe how much they gave up!

This trade from the same man who picked Esche and Grahme over Miller. I heard the news of the trade in the car and couldn't believe how much they gave up!

I know, Don Waddell's only triumph was drafting Kovalchuk and Heatley, and hell even a monkey could have figured out those picks, both were a no-brainer. You know I was thinking about it again tonight, essentially this is what Atlanta has done so far:

Atlanta gets Zhitnik, who I think is a UFA at the end(anyone know?) and really isn't very good. And Tkachuk, who will be a UFA and hasn't been that great in the playoffs(only 1 career game winner in 81 playoff games).

Atlanta gives up

Braydon Coburn (former first round pick, one of the top defensive prospects)

Glenn Metropolit (having a career year but will be a UFA)

1st round pick

2nd round pick

3rd round pick

1st round pick if Tkachuk resigns with St. Louis, which I think is a definite possibility

I mean, if Darcy gave up Paetsch for Zhitnik I would be mad, let alone, say, one of our regulars and 3, potentially 4 draft picks just for Tkachuk.

That is grounds for firing if the team doesn't win the cup, IMO. I guess the pressure is on to finally make the playoffs after what, 5 seasons of hitting the golf courses early.

EDIT: Make that 6 seasons of no playoffs, 7 if they fall apart this year.

I know, Don Waddell's only triumph was drafting Kovalchuk and Heatley, and hell even a monkey could have figured out those picks, both were a no-brainer. You know I was thinking about it again tonight, essentially this is what Atlanta has done so far:

Atlanta gets Zhitnik, who I think is a UFA at the end(anyone know?) and really isn't very good. And Tkachuk, who will be a UFA and hasn't been that great in the playoffs(only 1 career game winner in 81 playoff games).

Atlanta gives up

1st round pick

2nd round pick

3rd round pick

1st round pick if Tkachuk resigns with St. Louis, which I think is a definite possibility

I mean, if Darcy gave up Paetsch for Zhitnik I would be mad, let alone, say, one of our regulars and 3, potentially 4 draft picks just for Tkachuk.

That is grounds for firing if the team doesn't win the cup, IMO. I guess the pressure is on to finally make the playoffs after what, 5 seasons of hitting the golf courses early.

They don't have much further to fall to miss out again this year.

Atlanta gives up

1st round pick

2nd round pick

3rd round pick

Sounds like they just got robbed. I think that's way way too much for Tkachuk. I think they will suffer for this trade and look back poorly on it unless they win the Cup.

Smolinski to Canucks for 07 2nd rounder

Link? I haven't seen that one on either Sportsnet or TSN...

EDIT: I saw the rumor on HockeyBuzz (our old buddy is at it again, huh) but nothing confirmed yet.

Three-way deal involving Chicago, Detroit and Philly:

The Blackhawks sent a 3rd round pick and defenseman Lasse Kukkonen to the Philadelphia Flyers for forward Kyle Calder. Chicago then moved Calder to the Red Wings in return for forward Jason Williams.

Seems like the player movement is picking up, and there seem to be a lot of reasonable deals - depth players for picks and younger guys - to be had. Hope Darcy isn't going to sit on his hands throughout the next ~18 hours.

EDIT: Damn, DWarner beat me to it. ;)

That deal makes no sense for Detroit. Calder is horrible and they gave up on Jason Williams. I don't really get why Chicago got rid of Kukkonen either, he was having a breakout year and he's only 25.

Oh man, I just looked at Calder's stats, his plus/minus is -31! That is insanely horrible, even if he was playing on the Flyers.

Three-way deal involving Chicago, Detroit and Philly:

Seems like the player movement is picking up, and there seem to be a lot of reasonable deals - depth players for picks and younger guys - to be had. Hope Darcy isn't going to sit on his hands throughout the next ~18 hours.

EDIT: Damn, DWarner beat me to it. ;)

Let's all hope that Darcy makes moves just for the sake of making moves so we will have something to talk about <_<

Yeah, because that was what I was inferring there. <_<

"sitting on his hands"? That doesn't refer to Darcy not trying to improve his hockey team?

If a trade is out there and it makes sense financially, that players fits in with team and the price is

reasonable then Darcy will make the trade. If there is no trade out there it doesn't mean Darcy was

"sitting on his hands".

So yes. It appears that is what you were inferring there.

Actually, if you read more than one post of mine, you'd see that I am against mortgaging the future for a rental player, particularly since the Blues and Flyers have established a "rape-the-buyers" market, and have been advocating that Darcy simply add some depth or maybe a veteran leader.

What I was inferring there was that a) Darcy has already whined about how his hands are tied at the trade deadline, because of the cap, and for some reason decided to tip his hand, medically speaking, about when injured players would come back and b) there are some moves being made by other teams that he might have been able to make to improve the Sabres' depth heading into the playoffs, even by teams who are tight to the cap.

Regardless, I hope that if they don't make a deal, it's because they felt that the sellers were asking for too much for a rental player, and not because Darcy felt too constrained by the cap to seriously pursue anything.

Archived