Soo tell me why miller was in net tonight?

FearTheReaper

Because it seems to me that we had the whole #%^$#!ing game under control untill he decided to do his usual weak goal . Lets see if i can make sense of this, biron makes two starts because "miller needs to refocus", then biron plays his best game of the season on thursday and still does'nt get the start tonight. So miller plays and loses the whole damn game for us,LINDY NEEDS A GOALIE SYSTEM. BIRON MUST PLAY EVERY 3 TO 4 GAMES. i'm sick of this crap, when miller plays 10 games in a row and maybe has 6 good games 3 basic games and 1 game, if there was a system,like every 3 games biron starts we would have this problem

Looked like the right decision for 2 periods! He was awesome in the first 2 periods. Bad goals happen.....he needs to learn to let them go.

But, I do agree that Biron should have got the nod tonight regardless. He has been very good the last 2 games and I would have given Miller tonight off as well. Miller would have started Tuesday for me. But yes, Biron should have go the start tonight regardless of how Miller played.

I want to know where it says in Miller's contract that he must allow 3 goals every game... Come hell or high water - 3 goals get past him religiously. It is frustrating as hell waiting for him to shut down the other team in these close games, only to have the usual snap shot cruise by him.

I want to know where it says in Miller's contract that he must allow 3 goals every game... Come hell or high water - 3 goals get past him religiously. It is frustrating as hell waiting for him to shut down the other team in these close games, only to have the usual snap shot cruise by him.

Well, that's obviously not correct since his GAA is under 3. I think people just need to cool down before they post things that don't make sense. Yes, Miller tends to let a bad goal in most games, and would have 5 more shutouts if not for this bad habit. But don't overly criticize Miller for one bad period. We still have to play better at every position, not just goaltender.

what weak goals did miller let in tonight? i might give you the marty-starts-tonight argument, but he had one covered, a fluky deflection, and then parise's goal was perfectly placed....

I'm waiting to hear this answer, as well...

what weak goals did miller let in tonight? i might give you the marty-starts-tonight argument, but he had one covered, a fluky deflection, and then parise's goal was perfectly placed....

Parise's goal was a good one. Parise is a great young player with a great shot. Miller had no chance, Parise's shot was very accurate.

Maybe we trade Miller and give Marty a shot!!!!!! Miller drives me crazy with great saves and weak goals.........

Why can Broduer go 30+ games (at an older age) but Miller can't go 1 all-star game week, then he needs a rest. Trade a goalie, we need more O with Miller in net.........Plain an simple. He lets too many weak goals, so we need to counter that with more offense, or better D. Maybe we trade Kalinin. I was really high on him in the playoffs, but he f's up every night and it costs us. How do u trip on the puck and let the other team score, specially the B's. It was a trip, but this guy takes P's and just seems to have bad Karma......

I think you're nuts if you think any of those goals were weak. To me, it looked more like a complete breakdown by the rest of the team after they went down 2-1.

1st goal: Miller makes the save and doesn't get the quick whistle.

2nd goal: Breakdown in the zone and fluke goal of Kalinin's skate.

3rd goal: Another breakdown in the zone, great shot by Parise.

The only reason any of you are ragging on Miller is b/c our backup played well against the bottom feeder Bruins. Miller played a strong game against one of the hottest teams in the league.

The Sabres played a defensive style which was similar to the rope a dope they played against Ottawa in the playoffs last year. Unfortunately, the bounces didn't all go their way.

Maybe we trade Miller and give Marty a shot!!!!!! Miller drives me crazy with great saves and weak goals.........

Why can Broduer go 30+ games (at an older age) but Miller can't go 1 all-star game week, then he needs a rest. Trade a goalie, we need more O with Miller in net.........Plain an simple. He lets too many weak goals, so we need to counter that with more offense, or better D. Maybe we trade Kalinin. I was really high on him in the playoffs, but he f's up every night and it costs us. How do u trip on the puck and let the other team score, specially the B's. It was a trip, but this guy takes P's and just seems to have bad Karma......

I am trying to guess if you were being serious or sarcastic...Marty is much more unreliable, lets in way more soft goals and has had more than enough chances to win the starting job over the last 5-6 years...

The difference between Brodeur and Miller? Aside from Brodeur's 14 years of experience, or the Devils' suffocating defense-first system?

But I won't argue with you about Kalinin. I think he has hit the proverbial glass ceiling here, and might need a change of scenery and maybe a new coach to get him to the next level.

Because it seems to me that we had the whole #%^$#!ing game under control untill he decided to do his usual weak goal . Lets see if i can make sense of this, biron makes two starts because "miller needs to refocus", then biron plays his best game of the season on thursday and still does'nt get the start tonight. So miller plays and loses the whole damn game for us,LINDY NEEDS A GOALIE SYSTEM. BIRON MUST PLAY EVERY 3 TO 4 GAMES. i'm sick of this crap, when miller plays 10 games in a row and maybe has 6 good games 3 basic games and 1 game, if there was a system,like every 3 games biron starts we would have this problem

Wow--all that and with still a little more than six months to go before Laudry Day 2007.

Sorry, but I have zero confidence in Ryan Miller right now or his ability to hold a tie or lead. I don't like much about his game right now. SOmetimes the goals are not his fault, I agree, but elite goaltenders give up1 maybe 2 on nights when the offense isn't there and Ryan , lately, gives up that one extra goal to just kill the team.

Once again the sky is falling, blame the goalie for everything, even though he was simply brilliant for most of the game................My God, we lost a game to a very good team in their rink on a special night for them............. <_<

Miller was very strong for the 1st 2 periods. He looked like the Ryan Miller that earned those 1/2 million allstar votes. The 1st goal against should have been blown dead when Miller covered it. The 2nd goal was a fluke, but I don't know that Ryan would have stopped any decent shot because he was still thinking about the 1st goal. He's stopped strange bounces similar to that before when he is on his game. The 3rd goal definitely should have been stopped. Ryan stopped it at least 3 times in the 1st 2 periods.

I'm not worried that Ryan will get his game back. If he keeps his head last night, it is back. He had a slump or 2 last year and pulled out of it.

Would Marty have won last night? I have no idea. But Ryan losing his focus for a few minutes did cost them at least 1 point and maybe 2.

Please tell me you're kidding. Marty has had plenty of years to show he is a number one goalie and although he has shined sometimes , "he" not Miller has been the "weak goal kid". He is particularily weak on passes from behind the net to the guy in the slot. He is victimized by it constantly and has been, since playing for the Sabres, to the point that other teams have picked up on it. I think the difference between Marty and Miller is that over the years Miller has steadily improved relying on technique coaching and focused practise whereas Marty has always relied on "reflexes" and has changed his style little over the years.

In any case to say there were weak goals last night is crazy. If you look back Miller almost stopped Kalinen's deflection and did stop the first goal. The last one was just a great shot...if the shooter pics the right spot and nails it from that distance no goalie can move fast enough to stop it.

2003-2006 W-L-T(OL) GAA SV%

Miller 54-28-6 2.68 .913

Biron 58-30-9 2.70 .908

Uh......???? Yeah, Marty's horrible. He had one losing season after Hasek left the team.

What would you rather have.....a goalie who lets in soft goals, consistantly every now and then.....or a goalie who needs to rest for a week because he can't take the pressure of hockey?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....Miller is a crazy cat. He's a good kid, but he's always searching for answers from himself. While he has matured, I can't get that Rochester series out of my head where he imploded in the playoffs and had a nervous breakdown in front of us in the locker room. When he is on his game, he is a better option than Biron.....but when is he on his game?

I will bet anyone $20 that Miller will not be our goalie in 4 years...in fact, he may be out of the NHL in 4 years doing other things. I don't question his heart...he gives 100%, but I'm sure he questions if he ever wanted to do this hockey gig in the first place.

2003-2006 W-L-T(OL) GAA SV%

Miller 54-28-6 2.68 .913

Biron 58-30-9 2.70 .908

Uh......???? Yeah, Marty's horrible. He had one losing season after Hasek left the team.

What would you rather have.....a goalie who lets in soft goals, consistantly every now and then.....or a goalie who needs to rest for a week because he can't take the pressure of hockey?

I've said it before and I'll say it again....Miller is a crazy cat. He's a good kid, but he's always searching for answers from himself. While he has matured, I can't get that Rochester series out of my head where he imploded in the playoffs and had a nervous breakdown in front of us in the locker room. When he is on his game, he is a better option than Biron.....but when is he on his game?

I will bet anyone $20 that Miller will not be our goalie in 4 years...in fact, he may be out of the NHL in 4 years doing other things. I don't question his heart...he gives 100%, but I'm sure he questions if he ever wanted to do this hockey gig in the first place.

Uh, can you say darn near every game prior to the all star break? He played poorly in Columbus and on the Isle. He was very strong in the 1st 2 periods last night. Unfortunately, he appeared to let a horrible call get into his head (at least for 1 shot).

I am not worried that he will have his A game come April. Heck, I expect to see it by next week at the latest.

I vote for trading Kalinin as well. He has been hot and cold his whole career (mostly cold to me). Even if we got a defensemen who was not as good, it might be a good idea to get a more consistent player so that we at least know what we are going to get every night. I also think trading Biron is a good idea. It would free up cap space and end all the goalie contreversey. The whole arguement for keeping him is because Miller lets in fluke goals and is streaky but the argument for letting him go is that he is streaky and lets in fluke goals. Sounds like two of the same goalies to me. No sense having both when a good defensemen would lessen the number of turnovers in our own zone leading to less goals per game in the long run anyway.

Uh, can you say darn near every game prior to the all star break? He played poorly in Columbus and on the Isle. He was very strong in the 1st 2 periods last night. Unfortunately, he appeared to let a horrible call get into his head (at least for 1 shot).

I am not worried that he will have his A game come April. Heck, I expect to see it by next week at the latest.

I hope he doesn't regress because when he is on, he is very consistant. I am just worried of the long term ramifications of Miller admitting he gets stressed out and need a break. If you were a Cop and your partner stressed out and needed a break twice a year...would you feel safe? Would you want to be a Marine in a foxhole with someone who you have seen "freak out"? Same goes for pro athletes. There is a little confirmed nugget planted in the back of each of those guys' heads now that wonders if the next string of 3 goals in 2 minutes is going to ruin Miller.

I hope he doesn't regress because when he is on, he is very consistant. I am just worried of the long term ramifications of Miller admitting he gets stressed out and need a break. If you were a Cop and your partner stressed out and needed a break twice a year...would you feel safe? Would you want to be a Marine in a foxhole with someone who you have seen "freak out"? Same goes for pro athletes.

I'm not concerned one bit. Ryan wasn't the only goalie to struggle coming out the all-star game, and Lindy even admitted that he should have realized that Ryan wasn't ready to play versus Columbus, and that he definitely shouldn't have brought him back the next night against NYI:

LINK

Miller conceded he was worn out after a hectic All-Star week schedule in Dallas. As the Eastern Conference's starting goalie, he was in demand. Miller helped country music icon Garth Brooks open a playroom at a Fort Worth children's hospital and greeted U.S. troops arriving home from the Middle East. There were media obligations, photo shoots, luncheons.

"I wasn't going to shy away from experiencing the All-Star week," Miller said. "I'm not going to point at it as an excuse, but it's something that's going to all add up eventually."

Ruff shouldered some of the blame for Miller's weariness. Ruff coached the Eastern Conference squad and was aware of the burdens placed on the players.

Goaltenders would seem even more susceptible to having their delicate routines thrown out of whack. In fact, Miller wasn't alone in his All-Star hangover. The six honored goalies combined won two of their next nine games entering Monday.

"To go through the week he went through with the All-Star and come out of that and play a couple games, maybe my decision to play him both games . . . I may look back on that as a decision I'd like to have back," Ruff said. "I'm going to get his game back to where it needs to be, and I think practice for two or three days is a good place for him to be."

Miller said he has gone through at least one difficult stretch every season he has played.

There is a little confirmed nugget planted in the back of each of those guys' heads now that wonders if the next string of 3 goals in 2 minutes is going to ruin Miller.
Somehow I doubt that. I think the guys realize that Ryan was the guy who backstopped them to withing 20 minutes to the Stanley Cup finals last year, and that there is a lot of time between now & the playoffs for Ryan to get his head and game where they should be.

Damn near every game? lets look at the last month and we'll exclude Columbus and the Isl, since you have already admitted he played poorly.

Mon Jan 1, 2007 HOME Islanders 1 - 3 W <---------- One goal A

Wed Jan 3, 2007 AWAY Senators 3 - 6 L <---------- 6 goals F---

Fri Jan 5, 2007 HOME Penguins 4 - 2 L <---------- 4 goals F--

Wed Jan 10, 2007 AWAY Blackhawks 2 - 1 W <---------- One goal A

Sat Jan 13, 2007 HOME Lightning 3 - 2 L <---------- 3 goals C

Mon Jan 15, 2007 AWAY Bruins 2 - 3 O-L <---------- 3 goals C

Wed Jan 17, 2007 HOME Bruins 3 - 6 W <---------- 3 goals C

Fri Jan 19, 2007 HOME Canucks 3 - 4 W <---------- 3 goals C

Fri Jan 26, 2007 AWAY Blue Jackets 2 - 3

Sat Jan 27, 2007 AWAY Islanders 3 - 5

That looks like a 3.0 GAA over the last month. :thumbdown: I case you didn't know, the LOWER the number the better and 3 SUCKS. If were keeping Miller and his severe inconsistancies, then we better get some more offense and start scoring 4-5 every night.

Funny how Biron let 2 goals in back to back games against Boston bottom dwellers, but Miller last month went 1-1 and let 6 goals in.

Damn near every game? lets look at the last month and we'll exclude Columbus and the Isl, since you have already admitted he played poorly.

Mon Jan 1, 2007 HOME Islanders 1 - 3 W <---------- One goal A

Wed Jan 3, 2007 AWAY Senators 3 - 6 L <---------- 6 goals F---

Fri Jan 5, 2007 HOME Penguins 4 - 2 L <---------- 4 goals F--

Wed Jan 10, 2007 AWAY Blackhawks 2 - 1 W <---------- One goal A

Sat Jan 13, 2007 HOME Lightning 3 - 2 L <---------- 3 goals C

Mon Jan 15, 2007 AWAY Bruins 2 - 3 O-L <---------- 3 goals C

Wed Jan 17, 2007 HOME Bruins 3 - 6 W <---------- 3 goals C

Fri Jan 19, 2007 HOME Canucks 3 - 4 W <---------- 3 goals C

Fri Jan 26, 2007 AWAY Blue Jackets 2 - 3

Sat Jan 27, 2007 AWAY Islanders 3 - 5

That looks like a 3.0 GAA over the last month. :thumbdown: I case you didn't know, the LOWER the number the better and 3 SUCKS. If were keeping Miller and his severe inconsistancies, then we better get some more offense and start scoring 4-5 every night.

Funny how Biron let 2 goals in back to back games against Boston bottom dwellers, but Miller last month went 1-1 and let 6 goals in.

1st off, I case you didn't know (sic), not only have I forgotten more about this team and this game than you will probably ever know (literally), but this conversation won't last too long if you decide to continue to be a jerk.

Yeah, for this team, that gives up several odd man rushes per game and has serious issues killing penalties when Tallinder isn't in the lineup, 3 goals against "sucks". <_< The Sabres have ONLY won 9 games where he gave up 3 or more and had an OTL in there as well. If Turco is giving up 3+ per game in the system Dallas plays, that would be pretty bad. 3 against in the Sabres system isn't horrible.

The guy's record is 24-11-3. Take away the last 3 and it's 24-8-3. I will take that ANY year and it is close enough to playing well darn near every game for me.

You must be right, he's lost 8 games in the span that I am referring to. Anyone that only has a 72.9% winning percentage is horrible and clearly isn't coming anywhere close to playing well darn near every game. The 11th best save %age including his recent slump and the style game the Sabres play also indicate that he rarely, if ever, plays an A game. <_<

So you're saying that every loss - the 6-3 loss against Ottawa, the losses against Boston and the Isles - they are all completely and solely Ryan's fault? When you look at it as pure black & white - how many goals = how well he played, regardless of how the team plays around them, then of course his grades look bad.

And it's easy to selectively pick games here and there and try to make them fit your argument. Nobody complained when he beat Carolina 3 times, allowing 7 goals in three games; no one complained when he went 3-1-1 against Montreal; no one complained when he stopped 41 of 43 and stole the game against Detroit, no one complained when he won his first 8 games of the season...

Here's the facts:

Pre-ASG: 24-8-3, 2.62, .915

Post ASG: 0-3-0, 3.70, .883

Ryan is in just his second full season in the NHL, and he's hit a little bit of a sophomore slump. Now is the time where Ruff and Corsi have to help him through this - they have to figure out what his problem is and get him straightened out. He will get everything straighetened out, and he'll be back on top of his game in no time. Until then, the Sabres' skaters will have to - gasp! - put in a full 60 minute effort, and try to score more than 2 goals a game...

No one is saying that Ryan Miller sucks or is at fault for all the losses. We are saying that his GAA is up lately and his penchant for giving up 3rd period ties and leads is frightening. If he can even get these game to OT at least the team gets a big point and that might be the difference between finishing 1st overall in the East or not.

I also don't like the double standard. If Biron was playing like this over the last couple months then Everyone would be saying how we need better goaltending in order to be a serious contender. Since it's Miller, he gets a pass. I tell you, Lindy is going to give Marty every chance to earn more of the playing time very soon.

Archived