This Day in Sabres History :: January 30

PASabreFan

January 29, 1971

In a game against the California Golden Seals in California, Gilbert Perreault records the very first hat trick by a Sabre. Buffalo wins, 4-2. Two days later in Vancouver, the Sabres win 6-1 to finish their three-game western swing undefeated. In the first western trip in franchise history, back in late October and early November, the Sabres went 0-3 and were outscored 17-5. The franchise was finding its bearings. From January 14 until February 4, the Sabres were 6-1-3. After 10 losses in their next 13 games, the Sabres finished the season 8-3-4, 15 games under .500, in fifth place in the East Division and, of course, out of the playoffs. But all in all it was a very respectable first season in the National Hockey League.

January 29, 1977

In the midst of the Blizzard of ?77, only 14 Sabres have made a flight to Montreal for a game with the Canadiens. The Sabres still find a way to tie the powerhouse Habs, 3-3, at the Forum. And Voice of the Sabres Ted Darling, snowbound back in Buffalo, still finds a way to broadcast the game: while watching it on TV, he does play by play over the phone from his living room.

January 29, 1997

Dominik Hasek makes perhaps the iconic save of his Sabre career, sprawling across the crease and stabbing Mario Lemieux's sure goal in his glove. Referee Rob Shick adds the unforgettable postscript, peeling apart The Dominator's glove to convince his eyes that what they just saw is true: the puck is really in there. The Sabres win, 3-1, at Marine Midland Arena, to close to within two points of the Penguins for first place in the Northeast Division, a division the Sabres would go on to win going away. The win starts a 12-game unbeaten streak for the Sabres.

January 29, 2000

The Sabres lose 1-0 at Boston, the second time in as many days they are involved in a 1-0 game. It's the first time in 10 years that the team has been involved in consecutive 1-0 games.

January 29, 1971

In a game against the California Golden Seals in California, Gilbert Perreault records the very first hat trick by a Sabre. Buffalo wins, 4-2. Two days later in Vancouver, the Sabres win 6-1 to finish their three-game western swing undefeated. In the first western trip in franchise history, back in late October and early November, the Sabres went 0-3 and were outscored 17-5. The franchise was finding its bearings. From January 14 until February 4, the Sabres were 6-1-3. After 10 losses in their next 13 games, the Sabres finished the season 8-3-4, 15 games under .500, in fifth place in the East Division and, of course, out of the playoffs. But all in all it was a very respectable first season in the National Hockey League.

January 29, 1977

In the midst of the Blizzard of ?77, only 14 Sabres have made a flight to Montreal for a game with the Canadiens. The Sabres still find a way to tie the powerhouse Habs, 3-3, at the Forum. And Voice of the Sabres Ted Darling, snowbound back in Buffalo, still finds a way to broadcast the game: while watching it on TV, he does play by play over the phone from his living room.

January 29, 1997

Dominik Hasek makes perhaps the iconic save of his Sabre career, sprawling across the crease and stabbing Mario Lemieux's sure goal in his glove. Referee Rob Shick adds the unforgettable postscript, peeling apart The Dominator's glove to convince his eyes that what they just saw is true: the puck is really in there. The Sabres win, 3-1, at Marine Midland Arena, to close to within two points of the Penguins for first place in the Northeast Division, a division the Sabres would go on to win going away. The win starts a 12-game unbeaten streak for the Sabres.

January 29, 2000

The Sabres lose 1-0 at Boston, the second time in as many days they are involved in a 1-0 game. It's the first time in 10 years that the team has been involved in consecutive 1-0 games.

Does anyone have access to the clip of this save by the dominator? I can't believe I don't remember which one this is, which is why I'd desparately like to see it.

January 29, 1977

Thanks for jogging my memory. The Sabres fans have been privileged to have two all-time greats in the booth...Ted Darling & Ric Jeanneret.

The only low point in Sabres play by play announcer history is when John Gurtler held the TV job for a couple of years. I don't know where is he is now and I don't really care. Freakin' terrible is an understatement. :angry:

The only low point in Sabres play by play announcer history is when John Gurtler held the TV job for a couple of years. I don't know where is he is now and I don't really care. Freakin' terrible is an understatement. :angry:

Come on, nothing beat his "...skates unmolested into the zone" call.