Slow Start is On Ruff

BayAreaSabresFan

The thing I don't get is why this team cannot play strong for a full game. Lets face it, many of the Sabres' early wins were come backs and "just enough" efforts. Early this season, I didn't worry when the Sabs were down 2 or 3 goals and they seemed to be able to get the win, perhaps capitalizing on the other team's "protect the lead" mode.

Still, last night's first period was disgusting. I got the CBC feed last night on DirectTV and those guys were saying that Ruff should have called a time out two minutes into the game! How can these guys not be ready? I think this is on Ruff.

BTW, I tink teams have figured out that the key to stopping our power play is to pressure the puck at all times. Hanging back in the box has resulted in many sweet plays by DB, MA, and CD. By pressuring our power play, our weak links (the points) have been exosed.

Finally, why is our toughest guy also one of our smallest (roy)? Man, our guys are getting hit hard and with no response!

Ok..had to get that off my chest!

The thing I don't get is why this team cannot play strong for a full game. Lets face it, many of the Sabres' early wins were come backs and "just enough" efforts. Early this season, I didn't worry when the Sabs were down 2 or 3 goals and they seemed to be able to get the win, perhaps capitalizing on the other team's "protect the lead" mode.

Still, last night's first period was disgusting. I got the CBC feed last night on DirectTV and those guys were saying that Ruff should have called a time out two minutes into the game! How can these guys not be ready? I think this is on Ruff.

BTW, I tink teams have figured out that the key to stopping our power play is to pressure the puck at all times. Hanging back in the box has resulted in many sweet plays by DB, MA, and CD. By pressuring our power play, our weak links (the points) have been exosed.

Finally, why is our toughest guy also one of our smallest (roy)? Man, our guys are getting hit hard and with no response!

Ok..had to get that off my chest!

Well, I disagree with you about everything! At least you have great taste in hockey teams! :D

They didn't get in til 3:00 AM, so its not surprising they got off to slow start. No team plays start to finish dominating another team in this league. Happens very seldom and I thought we were crushing the Canadians right back. Mair comes to mind as particularily viscious and blood thirsty--in a good way. But Roy is awesome!

Bay, I mostly agree. In the second half, I want to see the real Lindy Ruff return. Maybe he is also beginning to read his own press clippings ? instead of trying to draw attention to officiating, he should call out his team in the paper. A well-placed benching would also be a strong signal the team's play is unacceptable. Ruff has coddled this team more than any in his tenure in Buffalo, IMHO. The fans are soft on them, too. Which would be fine if we were defending champs. But the last I looked, this team has won Jack Squat. This is not the New York Yankees or New England Patriots, who know how and when to flip that switch.

Woooo, now I feel better too. Bring it on, haters. :)

Bay, I mostly agree. In the second half, I want to see the real Lindy Ruff return. Maybe he is also beginning to read his own press clippings ? instead of trying to draw attention to officiating, he should call out his team in the paper. A well-placed benching would also be a strong signal the team's play is unacceptable. Ruff has coddled this team more than any in his tenure in Buffalo, IMHO. The fans are soft on them, too. Which would be fine if we were defending champs. But the last I looked, this team has won Jack Squat. This is not the New York Yankees or New England Patriots, who know how and when to flip that switch.

Oh come on PA, "the teams play is unacceptable"??? We are in first place! I guess I'm one of the soft fans! :D

Oh come on PA, "the teams play is unacceptable"??? We are in first place! I guess I'm one of the soft fans! :D

While I agree that they look good on the scoreboard, I think they've looked weak on the ice since November.

Plus, last time I checked, being in "first place" in January was equal to "winning jack squat" :D

Plus, last time I checked, being in "first place" in January was equal to "winning jack squat" :D

I agree, but its hard to say they suck when they are better than everyone else. We are the best team in a league that is really competitive. If we do win it all it won't be in a romp, it will be a 'slug' :D fest where we squeek out the win. Clip Smith would be proud of me for that one!

The team has been on autopilot for a couple of months. Whether inflexiblity in the roster has led to this complacency, or the boys are a little full of themselves, this team is playing uninspired. I know Mair was pissed at retaliating on Markov last night but I loved it. It was the first time all game I felt like we stood up for ourselves. Why did it take Kovalev decking Drury for him to get focused?

I hope Paille, Stafford and maybe even MaCarthur stay here. Rotoate them along with Paetsch into the lineup benching Kalinen, Numminen, Kotalik, Peters(for good), and whoever else Lindy feels should sit. These guys play with no fear of losing their jobs.

I agree completely with your assessement. I have forseen some benchings for a while, but that will happen when the team is healthy. Paetsch for kalinin and/or teppo for a game or two would do all 3 very well. Paille in permanently for peters is also long overdue. Stafford in for novotny or someone else who's dragging would be great. Unfortunately, there's too many injuries all around to do this right now... All it takes is one well timed benching to turn this entire team on again. I'm not worried yet for the playoffs. Right now, its all about maintaining the #1 seed in the east, holding rank against the division opponents and staying healthy. Ruff is a playoff coach, and this team WILL be ready for the playoffs... But i do agree with you. The PP, recent slide, soft play, etc. is a reflection of the coaching staff as much as it is the players. Hopefully this team will get close to 100% healthy so ruff has that option...

I don't think Ruff is reading his own clippings, I just think it's a different kind of season than we are used to and he is therefire handling it differently. He is picking his spots to really be hard on them because he can, they have built a nice cushion and there is no point beating them down and pushing too hard in early january. I agree, he has to start to ramp up the intensity again, and I think he will. But if he had been too hard with the whip when they were still winning 7 of every 10, which is what they were doing even when they were not playing great until thelast 2 weeks, eventually they would start to tune him out. You can't rant and rave at every mistake over 100 games ... assuming they make any kind of a playoff run, we're still just at the midway point.

Ruff has not been perfect over the years ... he used to tinker with lines too much, he rode Hasek too hard at times, jerked his successors around too much and definitely likes to, uh, discuss the officiating ... but if he has shown us anything over 10 pretty damn good years, it's that he knows how to get a team ready for the playoffs. Maybe he hasn't handled being the front-runner perfectly this past month, but there's not another coach I want in March and April.

I don't think Ruff is reading his own clippings, I just think it's a different kind of season than we are used to and he is therefire handling it differently. He is picking his spots to really be hard on them because he can, they have built a nice cushion and there is no point beating them down and pushing too hard in early january. I agree, he has to start to ramp up the intensity again, and I think he will. But if he had been too hard with the whip when they were still winning 7 of every 10, which is what they were doing even when they were not playing great until thelast 2 weeks, eventually they would start to tune him out. You can't rant and rave at every mistake over 100 games ... assuming they make any kind of a playoff run, we're still just at the midway point.

Ruff has not been perfect over the years ... he used to tinker with lines too much, he rode Hasek too hard at times, jerked his successors around too much and definitely likes to, uh, discuss the officiating ... but if he has shown us anything over 10 pretty damn good years, it's that he knows how to get a team ready for the playoffs. Maybe he hasn't handled being the front-runner perfectly this past month, but there's not another coach I want in March and April.

Exactly!

Still for the month of January they are really off by two games... Right now they sit at 5-5-1 for the month with 3 still to be played...

I agree completely with your assessement. I have forseen some benchings for a while, but that will happen when the team is healthy. Paetsch for kalinin and/or teppo for a game or two would do all 3 very well. Paille in permanently for peters is also long overdue. Stafford in for novotny or someone else who's dragging would be great. Unfortunately, there's too many injuries all around to do this right now... All it takes is one well timed benching to turn this entire team on again. I'm not worried yet for the playoffs. Right now, its all about maintaining the #1 seed in the east, holding rank against the division opponents and staying healthy. Ruff is a playoff coach, and this team WILL be ready for the playoffs... But i do agree with you. The PP, recent slide, soft play, etc. is a reflection of the coaching staff as much as it is the players. Hopefully this team will get close to 100% healthy so ruff has that option...

I agree 100%, and I have been calling for the staff to send some wake-up calls via the healthy scratch for about 2 months now. Lindy's talk about guys who don't battle and don't work hard not seeing ice time seemed to work for one game, then it was back to more of the same old, same old against the Canucks. If the effort is still spotty once the healthy players return, then I think Lindy needs to move from the realm of talk into action, and sit someone down and send a message to the rest of the team.

And I agree with PA - just because they built a good lead in the division and conference doesn't give them free pass to throw out a crappy effort whenever they feel like it. I can understand the Montreal game, given the travel issues, and a game here or there, but it seems to be more often than not we are commenting on the effort.

FWIW, the last couple games Teppo has looked old & slow, IMO. There have been plays where he has been a step or so late, and it resulted in at least one direct goal Saturday. And to be honest, with the way the PK and PP have been struggling, I can't understand why Lindy keeps rolling out the same blueliners. Can Paetsch & Spacek really do much worse?

I agree with everyone who says that the "well timed benching" will yield the results we are looking for. I think the team does look complacent at times. BUT, they are still in first place.

I think Pipes hit on it earlier....WHEN do you play the benching card? If you do it every week it loses its power to pursuede. I think Ruff is chomping at the bit to take action. Being the front runner all year is uncharted territory and he has to restrain himself and pick his moments to act. The players have been paid and made All-Stars. They can't use the "No Respect" tool any more. He has shown over and over that one of his main strengths is reading his players and making adjustments to motivate them.

Lindy wants a Cup so bad he can taste it. He knows this team CAN win one. I think Lindy will get them to peak at just the right time. This is fascinating case study in sports psychology to watch how Lindy handles this situation over a season and particularly down the stretch to have us hit the playoffs at the top of our game.

The team has been on autopilot for a couple of months. Whether inflexiblity in the roster has led to this complacency, or the boys are a little full of themselves, this team is playing uninspired. I know Mair was pissed at retaliating on Markov last night but I loved it. It was the first time all game I felt like we stood up for ourselves. Why did it take Kovalev decking Drury for him to get focused?

I hope Paille, Stafford and maybe even MaCarthur stay here. Rotoate them along with Paetsch into the lineup benching Kalinen, Numminen, Kotalik, Peters(for good), and whoever else Lindy feels should sit. These guys play with no fear of losing their jobs.

I am glad you mentioned Teppo. He is playing way too much hockey and it shows. When Tallinder returns I would like to see Teppo on a play two take one off schedule.

Archived