New Rbk Jerseys Update

Bmwolf21

FWIW, I found this while trolling through the sportslogos.net forums...

Link

The best news I received is that the new RBK jerseys the NHL plan to unveil during the All-Star festivities next week look much different than the Nike Bauer sweaters on display at the Olympics last year and during the recent World Junior Championships.

Most people agree those tight fitting sweaters are horrendous.

This basically means next season NHL players will still look like hockey players as opposed to competitors in the Tour De France.

I had a chance to get a peak at the new RBK jerseys this past week as Blues players were being fitted. Not one player had a complaint about the new design or fit. Several told me they felt no difference in terms of the feel and flexibility.

RBK is calling the new jerseys Performance Fit, not tight fit. New materials used in the RBK jersey include a product called stretch mesh and extrafill. There are also significant improvements in Moisture Management.

And possibly the best part, if true:

I’ve been told the NHL will return to home teams wearing white beginning next season. NHL clubs will not have a third jersey next season either.

Everything i have seen says no 3rd jerseys next year because of the new jerseys being rolled out, but they would return the following season.

Besides, we weren't supposed to have a 3rd jersey this year, since we rolled out our new ones a year before the rest of the league, yet we still have the original B&G... :thumbsup:

Another article on the new jerseys, this one from The Hockey News: (Bolded parts added by poster)

NHL set to unveil new form-fitting uniforms after three years of work

(CP) - The NHL is getting a new look and J.P. Dumont likes what he sees in the league's new uniforms.

The Nashville Predators forward and his teammates tested them this season and Dumont feels the new form-fitting jerseys and socks from Reebok will be a hit. "It looks really good," Dumont said Tuesday from Nashville. "I was surprised because I was hearing that they would be more fitted and I was thinking they might be too tight. But they feel really comfortable."

Reebok and the NHL will give a sneak peak to a small media contingent Wednesday in New York before the full-fledged media launch Monday in Dallas during the all-star festivities.

What exactly is in store for the league's 700 players next season?

More form-fitting socks and a more streamlined jersey with a material that's lighter, very breathable, water resistant, and more flexible.

The new uniforms aren't nearly as radical as the original concept. That's because the players got involved in the process.

"It's something that they've worked with the players to improve," said Buffalo Sabres centre Daniel Briere. "I think they did it the right way where they asked a lot of questions, they asked for feedback from us, tried to find out what the guys liked and what the guys didn't like about the jerseys to try and make it work."

There will surely still be critics - some players may be resistant to change - but the shock value dissipated when the original idea of tucked-in jerseys went by the wayside after the players politely gave them the thumbs-down. Jerseys worn out, please.

Still, the new form-fitting sweaters are different than the traditional baggy ones. Briere, whose Sabres squad also tested the new uniforms, says the cut of the jersey will likely stand out the most for fans.

"These are more fitted to each player. It's just a different cut, I think that's the thing that's going to jump out from the people's point of view," Briere said. "It'll be interesting to see how the fans react to it."

The new uniforms will be worn at the Jan. 24 all-star game in Dallas and then next season by all players.

"They're really extendable," said Dumont. "Every movement you make, it doesn't bother you at all.

"And the waterproof thing is great. That's something we should have had a few years ago, it's unbelievable."

While the jerseys are tighter than the current baggy ones, Dumont says they're not constricting.

"Even though it's a fitted jersey you're not stuck in them, you're able to move around really well," Dumont said. "And it's really light. I know right now here in Nashville, our third jersey gets really heavy when it's wet. These new jerseys will be great."

They're apparently not as tight-fitting as the Nike jerseys worn by Canada's NHL stars at last February's Turin Olympics.

"I just don't want them to make us look like robots out there, the Olympic ones were too tight I thought," said Edmonton Oilers star Ryan Smyth, who played on the Olympic team.

The "new uniform system" as the league calls it, has been three years in the making. Originally slated to be in use for this season, the NHL wisely held off as Reebok modified and tested with players to get it right. Or so they hope.

By all accounts the communication process between Reebok, the NHL and the NHL Players' Association has been smooth and no one is complaining behind the scenes.

"We've worked closely with the league in the testing process of the jersey," said Mike Gartner, director of hockey affairs at the NHLPA and the union's point man on the new uniforms. "More than half of our players have worn them in practice and have made comments and suggestions which the league and Reebok have made adjustments on."

Credit the NHL for holding back the launch this season and getting the players more involved in testing. Just look at what happened with the NBA and its failed new ball. The players were not involved in testing and ultimately the complaints prompted the league to switch back to the old ball.

Last summer, Reebok reps attended the NHLPA's player meetings in Whistler, B.C., so that players could provide input. In addition, both Gartner and Vincent Damphousse, the NHLPA's director of business relations, have attended team practices where the new uniforms were tested by the players this season.

If all this is true, then it gives me some hope that they won't be as bad as feared - especially the part about not being as tight as the Nike Swift jerseys. I am looking forward to seeing them unveiled at the AS game...

That's not the best part if it means no more vintage jerseys ...

I don't think they'll ever stop using our original logo, it's by far the best.

They have it on the back of their helmets this year, it's always around somewhere.

I won't buy anything with the slug on it, I'm cool with my vintage jersey.

I'd like to see us wear the new jersey with the original logo.

given that most sources have said round logos won't work on the new uni design, has anyone photoshopped what the original logo would look like on the new uniforms without the circular boarder?

im4bflo, your avatar looks about as close as i can imagine. just lose the yellow circle, and see how it looks, eh? i could live with that (rather than the snot smear).

just sayin'.

I've seen the reports about the circular logos not working on the new designs, but haven't seen any confirmation on this. I can't imagine that the circle would cause that much of a problem, but if they did make teams change the circle you'd be looking at a minimum of four teams (Bruins, Oilers, Devils and Islanders) who would have to change their primary logo, and possibly six more who have variations of the encircled logo (Hurricanes, Avs, Sens, Flyers, Red Wings, Lightning - and maybe the Thrashers, with their shield-shaped background.)

BTW, if you guys didn't catch this in today's Buffalo News:

The NHL has teamed with Reebok to develop new uniforms for every team for next season. Sabres fans who rushed out to buy the team's new duds can rest easy. The Sabres' sweaters will retain the same design.

The league is changing the jerseys and socks to make them more streamlined and water resistant. The material is lighter and more flexible.

The uniform design was unveiled to select media members Wednesday in New York and will get the full blowout Monday during All-Star festivities in Dallas. The style will debut during Wednesday's All-Star Game.

Many teams will be changing designs because horizontal stripes at the bottom of the jersey will either disappear or diminish. The Sabres were made aware of the upcoming changes, so their jersey does not have stripes at the bottom. The new sweaters will have different cuts and seams under the arms and along the sides.

I've seen the reports about the circular logos not working on the new designs, but haven't seen any confirmation on this. I can't imagine that the circle would cause that much of a problem, but if they did make teams change the circle you'd be looking at a minimum of four teams (Bruins, Oilers, Devils and Islanders) who would have to change their primary logo, and possibly six more who have variations of the encircled logo (Hurricanes, Avs, Sens, Flyers, Red Wings, Lightning - and maybe the Thrashers, with their shield-shaped background.)

Exactly what I said about it when the new jerseys were discussed earlier. Too many teams have design that use simple geometric shapes that would distort if they are flexible enough. I also can't imagine a slew of teams slugging their logos without causing an uproar. Also last time I looked, those crests are pretty stiff. Unless they are going to alot more soft and stretchy, I can't imagine them distorting that much on those new jerseys. But I could be wrong, maybe they are making the crests whimpier. I wonder if that circle argument is just a crap excuse used for the sluggalo design.

after taking a gander at the crosby photo, i can't imagine the circular crests (if kept as stiff as they are currently) would cause that much restriction of movement during game-play.

also, with all of this relatively new info out about how the input from players has altered the designs, i wouldn't be surprised now if the circular logos were allowed to be retained*. my guess is the initial backlash from teams like the bruins, oil, isle, and motor city influenced reebok to reconsider what they were asking teams to do. who knows?

by the way, does anyone think horizontal striping would be all that bad on that uni in the all-star photo? i think it could work...then again, i'm not an apparel designer.

*opening the door for the full-time return of the original sabres logo!

do any of you guys wear your shinguards over your laces like that?

I can't imagine Crosby wears shins like that. They look 3 inches too long. I believe they are supposed to go to the top of you boot, not the top of your foot. Those would ride up as soon as he flexed his ankle.

Inside the USA Today article about the NHL all-star jerseys and being the template for all teams next season, I thought this was interesting:

All 30 NHL clubs will have the opportunity to redesign their individual looks this summer, Jennings says. Hockey uniforms for teams such as the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens are revered as the best in any sport. Any change causes fierce debate. The Buffalo Sabres unveiled a new jersey last season. While some fans like it, critics say the new logo looks more like a "Buffaslug" than a bison.

Now would be the time to get rid of the Slug :thumbdown: and get something better :thumbsup: .

"All 30 NHL clubs will have the opportunity to redesign their individual looks this summer, Jennings says."

interesting...

i wonder if larry will relent, and take this opportunity to get it right with a second chance.

Inside the USA Today article about the NHL all-star jerseys and being the template for all teams next season, I thought this was interesting:

All 30 NHL clubs will have the opportunity to redesign their individual looks this summer, Jennings says. Hockey uniforms for teams such as the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens are revered as the best in any sport. Any change causes fierce debate. The Buffalo Sabres unveiled a new jersey last season. While some fans like it, critics say the new logo looks more like a "Buffaslug" than a bison.

Now would be the time to get rid of the Slug :thumbdown: and get something better :thumbsup: .

Amen to that bro! :thumbdown: with the slug!

given that most sources have said round logos won't work on the new uni design, has anyone photoshopped what the original logo would look like on the new uniforms without the circular boarder?

im4bflo, your avatar looks about as close as i can imagine. just lose the yellow circle, and see how it looks, eh? i could live with that (rather than the snot smear).

just sayin'.

I can live without the circle, no problem.

And I havn't seen anything better than our original buffalo and crossed sabres yet.

It looks great on the new uni's!

USA Today Article with Photo of the Eastern Conference All-Star uniform, modeled by Cindy Crosby...

LINK

Here's the link directly to the picture, I'd post it here if I knew how...

anyway, I think the uniform looks great. That would be a sweet jersey to have for pickups... I like those much better than the Western unis.

I don't think they'll ever stop using our original logo, it's by far the best.

They have it on the back of their helmets this year, it's always around somewhere.

I won't buy anything with the slug on it, I'm cool with my vintage jersey.

I'd like to see us wear the new jersey with the original logo.

Maybe if they've left the door open for a tweak we can get the old one back or similar. I'm on your bandwagon.

Archived