Bucky Gleason's Article Today

bob_sauve28

Still, its a depressing read

You wish the whole thing could be pushed aside until June, swept away until the Buffalo Sabres are paraded downtown with the Stanley Cup. Nobody likes to talk about money issues with the season going so well and so much promise in the months ahead.

Chris Drury and Daniel Briere certainly aren't comfortable discussing business and impending unrestricted free agency. Drury is one of the all-time gamers, a guy who seldom loses focus when it comes to winning. He's not thinking about money. He's thinking about his next shift.

No matter what you might have heard, Drury enjoys Western New York. It holds a special place in his heart. His first child was born here. He appreciates how the people have treated him, how fans have struck the proper balance between admiration and space. What's not to like? He's winning and making a good buck.

The same goes for Briere. His family is reaching a stage where they're starting to build a life here. His career turned around the minute he arrived. Look at him now, an all-star center having a career year for the best team in the conference.

Like it or not, Darcy Regier and his cohorts will eventually need to make a decision about these two. The math suggests the Sabres can keep one or the other, probably not both, perhaps not even either. Even if the salary cap doesn't become an obstruction, their value could exceed the Sabres' budget. They're already spending about $7 million more than they had planned.

It's an issue today only because reality visited HSBC Arena on Saturday night. The Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2003-04. They should have thrived under the new collective bargaining agreement and the rulebook that followed. Instead, they've been mostly on the playoff fringes.

Tampa was a victim of its success. It had three superstars in former first overall pick Vincent Lecavalier, former Hart Trophy winner Martin St. Louis and former Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards. Lightning GM Jay Feaster checked the roster, looked into the future and kept all three.

How couldn't he? Wait, how could he?

Despite their greatness, Tampa Bay can't win it all again with them. Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards are making a combined $21 million this season. But because they account for nearly half of the payroll, it's practically impossible to build a supporting cast. Tampa Bay has great players, but not a great team. It lacks depth and sorely misses underappreciated players such as Fredrik Modin, a forgotten man in Columbus.

The same thing could happen to the Sabres, so here's what you do: Enjoy every minute of this season. Soak up the remaining 37 games, knowing they can win the Cup. Pray to the hockey gods during the playoffs. Treasure the experience, and keep in mind it could be years before the Sabres get this crack again.

The NHL is a cyclical league, one bent on building competitive balance. Dynasties are in the past. The CBA was designed to help small-market teams such as Buffalo, but it can also nibble at the roster.

Frankly, fans have no right to complain about the system. It works at the gate. It works on the ice. It works in the accounting office. They can't whine about losing players, not anymore.

If Buffalo can keep Drury or Briere, it would be a major victory. For how much and how long? By the looks of things, it could be too much.

Regier had preliminary talks with Drury last summer and suggested Saturday he could get on the horn again. He was forced to wait until Jan. 1 to get things rolling with Briere because of a stipulation in the CBA that makes teams delay negotiations for players on one-year deals before they enter unrestricted free agency.

Drury looks for the best opportunity to win while making sure his contract is commensurate with his ability. He'll accept what he thinks is fair, perhaps less, if it means keeping him on a Cup contender. He's not the type of person who shops for the best offer and hits the road. But the Sabres can't lowball him, either, because other contenders will meet his definition of fair.

We're talking $5 million to $7 million.

Briere wants to win, too, but he also wants stability. He knows there's value in playing for a winner. He'd be willing to take less money per season from the Sabres than from other teams, but the hometown discount better come with an extra year or two on the deal. Does that mean three years at $18 million or five years at, say, $27 million?

They could play out their contracts and receive offers from other teams they can't refuse. It's what happened to Jay McKee when the Blues offered him a mind-blowing four-year deal worth $16 million. The Sabres could have had him for much less had they negotiated an extension during the season.

The Sabres haven't had serious talks with their co-captains, and it doesn't look like they're in a hurry to start. Every day that passes as they inch toward the playoffs, it becomes less likely they'll keep both.

So sit back, appreciate the months ahead and brace for the summer. No matter what happens in June, it's bound to hurt in July.

If it turns out that Darcy doesn't seriously try to negotiate with them during the season, then loses them to deals that we could have at least matched, then that will be a huge mistake on his part. I think the team could absorb the loss of one or the other, but not both.

The part I have a problem with is "enjoy the ride." I'm not enjoying it. Maybe it's me. But it's been a while since I've been this ticked off at a Sabres team. They've been in slacker mode for weeks and weeks. Very few games this year, even during the first month, have left me feeling this is a Cup team. Yet there's this huge disconnect between that reality (for me) and the almost constant praise this team receives from all corners of the hockey world. It's not the recent slide, either. I've been bitching since October! Think about it this way: the current team plays the team from January 2006. Who wins? 06 in a romp, I'm afraid. I just can't take the turnovers, the soft goals, the atrocious power plays anymore. Very very frustrating to watch.

Why can't they be happy working things out with the "team?"... Why do players always have to make the most or get their market value?...

I could see jumping for money in football... But, to me... The SC is more prestigious and worth eating your ego and money/pocket book... It isn't like DB and CD are making the min...

Look where McKee is...

Working out for J.P. though...

Easier for me to say... Because I would gladly want ONE SC over TEN SuperBowl wins! This all has to do with the game and the franchise's lineage... I just don't feel the same way with the owner and the Bills (for 47 years, hi-jacking WNY with his tactics)

Why can't they be happy working things out with the "team?"... Why do players always have to make the most or get their market value?...

I could see jumping for money in football... But, to me... The SC is more prestigious and worth eating your ego and money/pocket book... It isn't like DB and CD are making the min...

Look where McKee is...

Working out for J.P. though...

Easier for me to say... Because I would gladly want ONE SC over TEN SuperBowl wins! This all has to do with the game and the franchise's lineage... I just don't feel the same way with the owner and the Bills (for 47 years, hi-jacking WNY with his tactics)

Dude that's a nice thought and all but come on. If you were in a profession where you had to make all the money you'll ever earn (or at least the majority of it) in your life in a fairly short number of years, wouldn't you want to maximize your earnings?

Sure a guy might take a little "hometown discount" to remain with a contender or an organization they really like but it's pretty crazy to ask them not to ask for fair market value. It sucks sometimes to see favorite players come and go in professional sports, but we have to remember that this is a job for these guys and it's tough to blame them for making financial decisoins that will benefit them the most.

Dude that's a nice thought and all but come on. If you were in a profession where you had to make all the money you'll ever earn (or at least the majority of it) in your life in a fairly short number of years, wouldn't you want to maximize your earnings?

Sure a guy might take a little "hometown discount" to remain with a contender or an organization they really like but it's pretty crazy to ask them not to ask for fair market value. It sucks sometimes to see favorite players come and go in professional sports, but we have to remember that this is a job for these guys and it's tough to blame them for making financial decisoins that will benefit them the most.

Think about... Hockey players play a long time and usually hit their stride in their 30's!

They will still be making more, much more in even a few short years that I can in almost a lifetime...

Heck... It is almost 20 years to one in comparison! Meaning I gotta work 20 to their one!

It is all about greed and EGO...

And I don't make financial decisions that "hurt" my customers...

The part I have a problem with is "enjoy the ride." I'm not enjoying it. Maybe it's me. But it's been a while since I've been this ticked off at a Sabres team. They've been in slacker mode for weeks and weeks. Very few games this year, even during the first month, have left me feeling this is a Cup team. Yet there's this huge disconnect between that reality (for me) and the almost constant praise this team receives from all corners of the hockey world. It's not the recent slide, either. I've been bitching since October! Think about it this way: the current team plays the team from January 2006. Who wins? 06 in a romp, I'm afraid. I just can't take the turnovers, the soft goals, the atrocious power plays anymore. Very very frustrating to watch.

Couple thoughts.

1. Your finger is always on the panic button. If I remember correctly, in January 06 after the trip to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver you were talking about how the team was finally showing their true colors and coming back down to Earth (as were many others).

2. I thought I remember you talking about getting Center Ice last March. How can you make a fair comparision if you didn't see the games back then?

Couple thoughts.

1. Your finger is always on the panic button. If I remember correctly, in January 06 after the trip to Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver you were talking about how the team was finally showing their true colors and coming back down to Earth (as were many others).

2. I thought I remember you talking about getting Center Ice last March. How can you make a fair comparision if you didn't see the games back then?

Wow, someone is keeping a little folder on me. Do you work for Homeland Security? Will I be getting a little visit from Jack Bauer?

Yes, I and many, many others were wrong about last year's team. That's what made the whole season so fun. Neurotic Buffalo fans finally being proven wrong -- until the ECF, that is.

Your second point is a good one. I just was reminded today that the Sabres were slumping pretty good last January, too. But I still think last year's team to that point had that combination of hunger, passion, chemistry, resilience, etc. that far surpasses the intangibles this team can offer. Are you really impressed by the way this team has played?

I know it is sacrilege to criticize this team, which has been given a honeymoon that is usually afforded to a Cup champion. That's the problem I think. They have received the accolades, the all star votes, the media attention that you usually need a championship to get, and they play with a certain arrogance and casual style that comes with that.

I will continue to call them out. I don't think I'm panicking. Again, it's not one game here or one game there. I see some terrible patterns emerging. I don't like what I see, and I honestly don't think a lot of other people do either. They are just afraid to be critical, I guess. Or maybe they are whistling past the graveyard.

I refuse to believe that all the smart fans on this board also don't see the problem areas. Or that saying what I said makes me a panicky, chronic whiner.

*fixed

You're damned right. And I will keep bitching until we get the championship we deserve. I think we're as close as we've ever been, but I keep getting this sick feeling we're choking on it. Keeping staring at those standings if you want, but I'm just afraid it's fool's blue and gold.

Actually, I predicted this is how the Sabres would play in the first two-thirds of the season, so I shouldn't be surprised. The record belies the way they have played for the most part. Before anyone calls me a pessimist or worse, I also predicted they would turn it on around game 60 and be fine in the playoffs. I foresaw a trade that would shake them up, and I don't think we're far off the annual call for such a move. This time, Darcy might be forced to make it.

Think about... Hockey players play a long time and usually hit their stride in their 30's!

They will still be making more, much more in even a few short years that I can in almost a lifetime...

Heck... It is almost 20 years to one in comparison! Meaning I gotta work 20 to their one!

It is all about greed and EGO...

And I don't make financial decisions that "hurt" my customers...

People like us can sit back and say things like this, but until we're put in the situation these guys are in there is no way you can say that you wouldn't go for the money. Hockey players can play a long time, but there is always risk of the career ending injury. The difference between staying in Buffalo and accepting the big free agent deal could be millions of dollars. Imagine if you're a player and you stay with Buffalo, blow out your knee or get a concussion in pre-season and never play again. You'd be kicking yourself for not taking the money.

As fans, we say it's selfish for players to go for the money, but we are being just as selfish because we want our best players to stay with our favorite team. All we as fans care about is the championship. When is the last time you got really upset when one of your favorite players was seriously injured? How many of us are losing sleep over Connolly's condition? The only thing that we miss about Tim Connolly is his ability as a player, not the fact that his career may be over because of one injury.

We can bitch about the dollars, as we can for any pro athlete or, for that matter, any Hollywood star, any big-name musician, or any top CEO. We tend to give them our dollars anyway, but that's a matter for another day.

If (and from what I see right now, it's a big if) the Sabres were to actually win a Cup this season, I'd have no problem with rewarding Briere and/or Drury with a big contract, even at the price of a few rough seasons ahead.

I want a Cup here that badly, and if the Sabres win one, it won't exactly send the right message to other players if the Sabres refuse to pay those that brought the silver here. Or, more sadly, maybe the Florida Marlins had it right.

trying to add a different point of view, the most distressing thing for me so far is the power play. does anyone else remember when we were considered a team that could only score ON the power play? now, we can't buy a goal on it! i can't believe scott arniel had that much to do with it, can he?

i understand your view though PA and i think i am with you. i'm trying not to run off the cliff, but i just hate the way they are losing some of these games. 82 games is a long ride and it is pretty inevitable that you will hit a skid somewhere, but i said this the other night during the 3rd people of the TOR game. i didn't care that they lost that game or future games if they played like they did the early part of that third period. if they continue to play like that, the wins will come back and that is easier for me to stomach that coasting through games that you win ...

Archived