Ok, I've bit my tounge long enough

envirojeff

Why is Adam Mair still on this team? All he seems to do is create power plays for the other team and he can't score to save his life! IMO he's wasting a spot for someone else. I don't see him losing a game for you, but he sure as hell won't win one for you.

Jeff

Such is life when you can't field 18 all-stars on one team....

I think Mair would be a solid 3 liner on most teams in the NHL. He does the job he is asked to do, to bring intensity to the lineup with his physical presence. I am guessing some of his intensity will be less visible now that he is not playing with Gaustad, but i will say, the other night against the Isles, i was shocked he only had about 9 mins of ice time. He was one of our hardest working forwards in the 2nd and 3rd period and i could have swore he played 16 mins or so. His penalties usually come from him playing too fast, or a bit out of control, but his intensity is more than welcomed in my opinion.

Why is Adam Mair still on this team? All he seems to do is create power plays for the other team and he can't score to save his life! IMO he's wasting a spot for someone else. I don't see him losing a game for you, but he sure as hell won't win one for you.

Jeff

I'm with you. He couldn't put the puck into a soccer net. He leads in PIMs. His role has been reduced to thumper. He does remain the role model of Peters though.

He leads in PIMs.

Big deal. Someone has to. Nearly half of his penalty minutes for the year came on ONE SHIFT.

His role has been reduced to thumper.

Reduced to? Has he been something else at some time during his career? It's called knowing your role and doing it. Mair's effectiveness has been reduced by the fact that there is no stability for him as far as his line is concerned.

dude, Mair works his a$$ off and I love that he is on this team. No, he doesn't score but he rarely hurts us. His role isn't as a scorer... his role is to keep the pressure and annoy the other team while giving a breather to our skill guys... and he does that perfectly. His line does create chances... although they don't put them in the net it still keeps the other team on their heels and they can't just take their shift off, they might not score but they wear down the opponent so possibly someone else can later. I have no real complaints about him.

I say "real" complaints because every fan could complain about every player not scoring enough, but like I said that's not his role.

the "taking penalties" aspect has been addressed above and doesn't need any further explanation

I thought Mair would break out this year and score 10-15 goals. He has good speed and decent puck handling skills, but appears to have hands of stone when it comes to putting the puck in the net. When he is being a physical and disruptive force, he is an effective 4th liner(even when being saddled with Peters :nana: ). When he is not, he is a sub par 4th liner.

I thought Mair would break out this year and score 10-15 goals. He has good speed and decent puck handling skills, but appears to have hands of stone when it comes to putting the puck in the net. When he is being a physical and disruptive force, he is an effective 4th liner(even when being saddled with Peters :nana: ). When he is not, he is a sub par 4th liner.

He'd probably score if he got more than 6 minutes a game on the ice on a regular basis. I have seen nothing but positives from Mair this year. He has made some mistakes on the ice but so has everyone else on the team (nobody was calling for Millers head when he let in that bouncer with 1 minute left). Mair brings energy, attitude, and a responsible defensive player that creates offensive chances by playing tough in the corners. He hits everything that moves and has even shown some nice stick handling in a few games this year.

Although Mair is not getting that much ice time on the Sabres, he could be a regular third liner on a lot of other teams and be effective in that role. I don't blame Lindy for not playing him more than he already does because who is he going to take that ice time away from? A guy like Mair makes other players stay on their game because if they don't he is more than ready to take their spot on the line-up. I hope they can work out a 3-4 year deal with him because not only can they get him on the cheap, but I also think that commitment from the team could help push him to bring it to the next level.

He'd probably score if he got more than 6 minutes a game on the ice on a regular basis. I have seen nothing but positives from Mair this year. He has made some mistakes on the ice but so has everyone else on the team (nobody was calling for Millers head when he let in that bouncer with 1 minute left). Mair brings energy, attitude, and a responsible defensive player that creates offensive chances by playing tough in the corners. He hits everything that moves and has even shown some nice stick handling in a few games this year.

Although Mair is not getting that much ice time on the Sabres, he could be a regular third liner on a lot of other teams and be effective in that role. I don't blame Lindy for not playing him more than he already does because who is he going to take that ice time away from? A guy like Mair makes other players stay on their game because if they don't he is more than ready to take their spot on the line-up. I hope they can work out a 3-4 year deal with him because not only can they get him on the cheap, but I also think that commitment from the team could help push him to bring it to the next level.

I just don't see the "hit everything in sight" Adam Mair each and every game. Maybe that is the reason why he doesn't see more ice time. Like I said in my earlier post, if he is not playing "his game", he is not very useful to Lindy.

I'd like to see Mair be a little more hard-nosed on the forecheck than he has been, but as it's been mentioned in this and several other topics, it's easy to pick out the weaker links in a team that's so solid. The job of Mair and the fourth line is to be physical and be the spark that gets some momentum going when the team skates itself into a lull. He's kind of like a football offensive lineman -- if he's doing what he's supposed to do, his name won't show up on the statsheet often.

Last year we were a four line team. This year we are clearly a three line team with a fourth line only sent on the ice to send a message or right a wrong. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just different.

Last year we were a four line team. This year we are clearly a three line team with a fourth line only sent on the ice to send a message or right a wrong. Not that there is anything wrong with that, its just different.

Sounds about right. Mair, Gaustad and Peters are the chastity belt to this team of kitty cats. Take them away and we get drilled by every thug out there.

And it almost works just as well, with none of our forwards averaging more than 20 minutes per game.

I think Mair could be a solid 3rd line winger on many other teams in the league. The best example is Taylor Pyatt, who is averaging 13:12 of ice time with Vancouver this year (playing in 36 games), where as last year playing in 41 games, Pyatt averaged just 11:14. He's gone from being scratched half the season, to playing almost every night, and actually being on the ice more as well.

Since I'm off of work today and have some time to kill, let's take a look at Mair's stats though...

2005-2006 40 games 7 points 47 PIM

2006-2007 39 games 4 points 62 PIM

The biggest reason for the spike in PIM in a similar number of games is the Washington game where Ovechkin hit Briere. Mair was assessed 27 minutes of penalties (10min misconduct, game misconduct, for which he is asessed 10mins, 5min Fighting, 2min Instigator) in that game alone.

62-27= 35, which puts him back in the ballpark of his stats last season. Last year Mair was only charged with two major penalties (both fighting) and no misconducts.

Personally, I'd rather have him doing what he's done so far and sticking up for our top forward, than not having anyone other than Peters and Gaustad who is willing to throw down in fisticuffs.

As for stupid minor penalties he's taken lately, I guess I can't say that I've really noticed, and you guys might have a reasonable gripe. I'm just saying that comparing his year to last year, he's spent about the same amount of time in the box.

Good stuff, TSC.

Personally, I'd rather have him doing what he's done so far and sticking up for our top forward, than not having anyone other than Peters and Gaustad who is willing to throw down in fisticuffs.

I had to laugh when I read this, though, because Max immediately came to mind. :D

Archived