Bills vs. Sabres: Attendance

wudden

Rough math

Sold out 80,000+ seats in Rich Stadium during the early 90's x 8 home games = 640,000 tickets

Sold out 18,690 seats in HSBC Arena x 41 home games in '06-'07 = 766,290 tickets

I never thought in my wildest dreams that more people would attend Sabres games than the Bills games, even in the late 90's.

I mean, its obviously an apples to oranges comparison based on seating and games and all, but its an interesting tidbit never the less, in regards to attendence.

What got me started on this was when the douchebag on ESPN radio this morning said "Hey you Buffalo fans, nobody's watching Hockey, go watch the Bills..."

Thats not to say though that if there were more availible seats or games for the bills that people wouldnt go. It is a good stat but there may be more people that wanted to attend but couldnt as a result of limited seating and number of games. The same could be said about the sabres I guess so its hard to really compare.

What got me started on this was when the douchebag on ESPN radio this morning said "Hey you Buffalo fans, nobody's watching Hockey, go watch the Bills..."

I think its impressive to sell 3/4 of a million seats in a season... with a full playoff run, that number could potentially exceed 1 million. And thats not including suite tickets (I think?).

People can talk all they want about depressed economy, weather, etc...

You hit on the main reason why the Bills are not selling out. It's exagerated this week because of Christmas and the fact that the Tacks didn't look like they'd be any good last summer. Throw in some very recent history where Bills fans hopes for the playoffs were nearly handed to them on a silver platter, only to lose to Pittsburgh's 3rd string defense. I for one am still mad at the Bills for that loss.

The Bills are losing the competition with the Sabres for WNY entertainment dollars this year. I don't know how long that will last. My guess is that even if the Sabres win the cup, their season ticket count will drop because the Bills look like a true playoff contender next year.

I'm calling BS! :)

Can I second that or is it against 'Man Law'?

Two things.

1 ) Fans know the clock is ticking down on the Bills here in WNY. I think many fans are just waiting for the hammer to fall.

2) You have $100. Your choices are :

a) Go downtown and watch one of the best teams in the NHL play a wide open style in a very comfortable arena.

b) Drive all the way to Orchard Park. Walk 2 miles from your car passing guys pissing all over the parking lot and themselves. Get to your cramped seat just in time to watch the guy in the row ahead of you screaming at the top of his lungs until he pukes on himself then passes out.

And you have to wonder why the Sabres are outselling the Bills :doh:

Two things.

1 ) Fans know the clock is ticking down on the Bills here in WNY. I think many fans are just waiting for the hammer to fall.

a) Go downtown and watch one of the best teams in the NHL play a wide open style in a very comfortable arena.

b) Drive all the way to Orchard Park. Walk 2 miles from your car passing guys pissing all over the parking lot and themselves. Get to your cramped seat just in time to watch the guy in the row ahead of you screaming at the top of his lungs until he pukes on himself then passes out.

I'll take B.

Two things.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I agree that the Bills appearing to be turning the corner won't pull the rug out from under the Sabres. It didn't in '74, I doubt it will happen in '07. BUT why do you think that the Bills will automatically pull up stakes? It COULD happen, but I'd be real surprised if it does. Or, by "waiting for the hammer to fall" did you mean JP falls on his face, which isn't going to happen? :doh:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I agree that the Bills appearing to be turning the corner won't pull the rug out from under the Sabres. It didn't in '74, I doubt it will happen in '07. BUT why do you think that the Bills will automatically pull up stakes? It COULD happen, but I'd be real surprised if it does. Or, by "waiting for the hammer to fall" did you mean JP falls on his face, which isn't going to happen? :doh:

Ralph appears to be laying the ground work. He has been for some time. The lists grows.

1) The New CBA.

2) The NY Stadium.

3) The NFL requiring, though not spoken, every NFL team have a new stadium.

4) Ralph claiming financial hardship.

5) Ralph telling fans to "enjoy it while it lasts".

All this and lets face facts. The NFL has outgrown WNY. The NFL no longer cares about the individual fan. The NFL is becoming or has become a league geared towards the corporate dollar. The league is looking towards expanding internationally because it increases it's corporate visability in the new international market place. The NFL cares more about getting games in other countries than it does about holding on to it's small markets.

"The Hammer" is the NFL.

also,

As far as JP Loseman? I have two words for you. Cade McNown. Dumb QB's don't last long

in the NFL. They can have flashes here and there. It happens all the time. It's looks like there

is the next great QB. All of a sudden they are the third string for the 49ers. :w00t:

As far as JP Loseman? I have two words for you. Cade McNown. Dumb QB's don't last long

in the NFL. They can have flashes here and there. It happens all the time. It's looks like there

is the next great QB. All of a sudden they are the third string for the 49ers. :w00t:

I haven't really delved into the JP conversation with you yet but man do you have an ax to grind. Did he come over to your crib and kick your dogs?

Two things.

Point #2 is exactly why my yearly trip back home will include a Sabres game this time. I've no desire to deal with some drunken tool passing out in his own vomit. It's always a sore subject with some, but I personally wish they'd actively start punting people who get like that. I'd put up with it once or twice a year if it wasn't a 1,000 mile ride.

I've a better chance walking out of Sabres game without smelling of someone else's spilled beer. Throw in the fact that I'll have a kid with me and it's an easy decision.

-Jeff

I haven't really delved into the JP conversation with you yet but man do you have an ax to grind. Did he come over to your crib and kick your dogs?

Why does an opinion that doesn't agree with yours become "an ax to grind".

There is nothing about his game I like. I see this kid's upside ending at being an average QB in a league full of bad/average quarterbacks.

Growing up in the '70's and 80's, era's of great QB's, I admit I may have expectations higher than they should be.

Point #2 is exactly why my yearly trip back home will include a Sabres game this time. I've no desire to deal with some drunken tool passing out in his own vomit. It's always a sore subject with some, but I personally wish they'd actively start punting people who get like that. I'd put up with it once or twice a year if it wasn't a 1,000 mile ride.

I've a better chance walking out of Sabres game without smelling of someone else's spilled beer. Throw in the fact that I'll have a kid with me and it's an easy decision.

-Jeff

I was excited a couple of seasons ago to be able to finally become a season ticket holder for the Bills. My excitement last four games. The final four games I gave away. It wasn't fun. Not because of the team on the field. It was the losers in the stand. At Bills games it's not a few losers that give the rest a bad name. The majority are the losers who can't control themselves.

Archived