Sabres vs. Thrashers (12/30)

PTS

I hear Rick DiPietro got hurt today not sure how bad but maybe that is the opening that miller needs for the olympics. I really do not want to see him over there he could A. Burn out or B. get smoked by all the talent and become a head case.

Is it confirmed that Danny is gonna be out for the hernia???

Also read that Alexei Zhitnik got hurt too take care Islanders

I hear Rick DiPietro got hurt today not sure how bad but maybe that is the opening that miller needs for the olympics. I really do not want to see him over there he could A. Burn out or B. get smoked by all the talent and become a head case.

Is it confirmed that Danny is gonna be out for the hernia???

Also read that Alexei Zhitnik got hurt too take care Islanders

Agree with you and the others that maybe Miller doesn't need the Olympic team (as badly as it may need him) right now. We need him in April. And May. And June!

i agree that lydman has improved his game greatly since the beginning of the season. i remember scratching my head wondering what darcy was thinking, but now the guy is solid if anything. as for the game?? 4-1 buffalo... miller's shutout was spoiled with about 5 minutes to go. great win coming off the back to back effort, a crappy first period, and slanted officiating. sabres are sitting pretty only a couple back from ottawa.

You ask me, I'd prefer if NO Sabre was at the oplympics. They have a mean schedule coming up right after.

Let the other teams top guys wear themselves out, and let our guys rest for 2 weeks.

But that's just the cynic in me :D

Miller has missed a bunch of time?

A run in the Olympics might sharpen his Sabre so to speak.

He is the best USA goalie.

Also,

I hate that Peters takes a roster spot away from a real player. This was a game missed by a player who may someday help this team. But he sits because someone feels sorry for Andjuice Peters. <_<

I hate that Peters takes a roster spot away from a real player. This was a game missed by a player who may someday help this team. But he sits because someone feels sorry for Andjuice Peters. <_<

Typically, I would be in agreement with you regarding Peters, DeLuca. In the new NHL, goons have no place.

But I think dressing him tonight was a good move by Ruff. We all suspected Eric Boulton was going to be looking for some action and I think it was a good idea to have Peters as an insurance policy on Boulton.

I mean the Thrashers were already playing dirty and chippy enough tonight as it was. I think Peters at least kept them honest, in some respect.

Guest Amazing Grant

That was me before, by the way, for what it's worth.

Also, I am another that believes it's better that Miller isn't on the Olympic roster. Sure, there's the chance that he may use it to become even better (which I can barely fathom; how much better can he get?), but I think there's an even greater chance of Miller becoming burned out.

Plus, as I mentioned before, it seems like Miller is playing with a chip on his shoulder since being snubbed. I'd like to keep that chip there.

Typically, I would be in agreement with you regarding Peters, DeLuca. In the new NHL, goons have no place.

But I think dressing him tonight was a good move by Ruff. We all suspected Eric Boulton was going to be looking for some action and I think it was a good idea to have Peters as an insurance policy on Boulton.

I mean the Thrashers were already playing dirty and chippy enough tonight as it was. I think Peters at least kept them honest, in some respect.

"honest"

I say let Boulton run wild and ring up the penalties. For every elbow, high stick or charge it's a power play for the #3 power play in the league.

Totally agree on Peters keeping Boulton & the rest of the thrashers honest. When a guy like Boulton (or McGrattan on the Sens) dresses, we need Peters. That's still how it is in the NHL until they ban fighting.

DeLuca -- I know you've posted favorable opinions of Zhitnik and Miro, and criticized Darcy for letting them go w/o getting anything in return. Did you happen to catch Roby's opinion at the end of the Shootout tonight on that topic? He said that the biggest factor in the Sabres' season so far was addition by subtraction in getting rid of those 2 (whom he named specifically).

Not that Roby is necessarily right, but I will say that I totally agree on Miro. I think he was mailing it in for about 2.5 seasons, and when the highest paid player on the team doesn't hustle, it hurts morale and overall hustle. Zhitnik's problem wasn't hustle but just an inflated market value. I think the Islanders are regretting paying him $3.5 million by now.

Other observations on another very exciting game:

1. Miller is better. Can anyone reasonably dispute this?

2. Campbell, Fitzie and Lydman each had a few shaky moments in our end. I'm ready for the return of Kalinin.

3. I really like Connelly-Kotalik-Vanek.

4. Seemed like a pretty full house. Did anyone hear an attendance #?

5. Although I appreciate the goal of keeping Miller fresh for the playoffs, I'd love to see him make the Olympic team -- and if he does, I think he'll become the starter, which I would also love to see. I would watch every USA game. I think Miller would also do pretty well as an Olympian, which would just add to his (and the Sabres') already pretty solid confidence.

6. Connelly might sneak into the Olympics too if a forward gets hurt in the next 6 weeks. He has had 2 great games in a row.

7. Kotalik has cooled off a little lately.

That's all. Great win (thrashers were 6-0-3 in their last 9). Go Sabres.

was a packed house..sellout crowd, the place was jamming by the second period and we had those pp goals..we even had a wave goin in the third period for at least a couple minutes..it was a blast, great sabres game to go to for a college fan (like myself) who cannot afford to go to each one :D

-I was at the game last night. Crowd was really into it during the second and thrid periods(first period was a yawner).

-Max can be awesome at times and frustrating beyond belief at other times. Great goal!

-Miller was very good. I was hoping he could hang on to get the shutout. 1 goal allowed against a very good offensive team...no complaints here.

-Nice start to the home stand. Someone was telling me that tickets for the other games in January have been selling really well.

-I laughed when I got my coupon for a free pan pizza if your player scores. I got Mike Grier. I went by several other Sabres employees and they were also handing out coupons with Griers name on them. Low and behold, he comes out of nowhere to score a pretty goal in the 3rd period. Thanks Mike! :)

Totally agree on Peters keeping Boulton & the rest of the thrashers honest. When a guy like Boulton (or McGrattan on the Sens) dresses, we need Peters. That's still how it is in the NHL until they ban fighting.

DeLuca -- I know you've posted favorable opinions of Zhitnik and Miro, and criticized Darcy for letting them go w/o getting anything in return. Did you happen to catch Roby's opinion at the end of the Shootout tonight on that topic? He said that the biggest factor in the Sabres' season so far was addition by subtraction in getting rid of those 2 (whom he named specifically).

Not that Roby is necessarily right, but I will say that I totally agree on Miro. I think he was mailing it in for about 2.5 seasons, and when the highest paid player on the team doesn't hustle, it hurts morale and overall hustle. Zhitnik's problem wasn't hustle but just an inflated market value. I think the Islanders are regretting paying him $3.5 million by now.

Other observations on another very exciting game:

1. Miller is better. Can anyone reasonably dispute this?

2. Campbell, Fitzie and Lydman each had a few shaky moments in our end. I'm ready for the return of Kalinin.

3. I really like Connelly-Kotalik-Vanek.

5. Although I appreciate the goal of keeping Miller fresh for the playoffs, I'd love to see him make the Olympic team -- and if he does, I think he'll become the starter, which I would also love to see. I would watch every USA game. I think Miller would also do pretty well as an Olympian, which would just add to his (and the Sabres') already pretty solid confidence.

6. Connelly might sneak into the Olympics too if a forward gets hurt in the next 6 weeks. He has had 2 great games in a row.

7. Kotalik has cooled off a little lately.

That's all. Great win (thrashers were 6-0-3 in their last 9). Go Sabres.

I will disagree with on Peters. Let Boulton rack up the penalties. And if things get ruff you still have Mair and Gaustad. Sitting Paille is a mistake. The Thrashers are a good skateing team. Seeing how he could keep up is what I would like to see. Peters only had 5 shifts for a total of 2:57. The Sabres gained nothing from it. Paille needs ice time in the NHL to prove if he can do it or not. Play the kid and lets find out. Don't waste anymore time with Peters. We already know he can't play.

Robi? He tows the company line well. Not to keep beating a dead horse but the Sabres did offer Z the $4 million a year to stay it was his choice to leave. Miro is a different story. If he was such a problem they should have dealt him and gotten something in return before he hit free agency. Even a mid round pick would be something. Wasn't Miller a 5th rounder. You never know. I will never be in favor of letting players go for nothing.

I will disagree with on Peters. Let Boulton rack up the penalties. And if things get ruff you still have Mair and Gaustad. Sitting Paille is a mistake. The Thrashers are a good skateing team. Seeing how he could keep up is what I would like to see. Peters only had 5 shifts for a total of 2:57. The Sabres gained nothing from it. Paille needs ice time in the NHL to prove if he can do it or not. Play the kid and lets find out. Don't waste anymore time with Peters. We already know he can't play.

I've said this over and over again until I am blue in the face. Peters is a waste of a roster spot. Paille didn't show me anything over the last few games to prove that he can't handle duty on the 4th line.

Please make Andrew Peters disappear from the Sabres roster forever. :angry: