Just for conversation...

nfreeman

Specifically, who scares you the most if we have to play them in the playoffs?

Here's my ranking:

1. Carolina

2. Detroit

(big dropoff)

3. Montreal -- could fall behind Ottawa depending on their respective goaltending

4. Ottawa

5. Rangers -- this one is a little skewed since we didn't see Lundquist

(huge dropoff)

6. Boston

7. Philly

Here's my ranking:

1. Carolina

2. Detroit

(big dropoff)

3. Montreal -- could fall behind Ottawa depending on their respective goaltending

4. Ottawa

(huge dropoff)

6. Boston

7. Philly

Lundqvist hasn't been himself this year yet.

Here's my ranking:

1. Carolina

2. Detroit

(big dropoff)

4. Ottawa

(huge dropoff)

6. Boston

7. Philly

1. Carolina - They will be very tough all season. This is our new rival.

2. Detroit - 43 shots on net, this is one I think we stole.

3. Montreal - They look like one of the better teams this year.

4. Ottawa - We'll always have difficult games against them.

5. Boston - I might even put Boston ahead of Ottawa. The score may indicate we blew them out, but I thought Boston played a pretty good game.

6. Rangers - I'll admit, I didn't see this game. I know we were down 2 and came back, so I'm not sure how good the Rangers were.

7. Philadelphia - Nothing needs to be said other than, they suck.

Detroit - 43 shots on net, this is one I think we stole.

That is the perception in the league - but I wouldn't make too much of those 43 shots.

Sometimes Lindy allows the outside shot and they play it like a turnover by design.

(The same strategy was used in game one of the ECF)

It basically allows the low percentage shot from the outside from between the blueline and halfwall,

and feeds Buffalo's transition game back up ice. Carolina in the ECF simply stopped taking that shot - and I think if Detroit played Buffalo again they would stop taking that shot too.

Some see 43 shots - but from another point of view a good percentage of those shots really did nothing but sacrificed possession.

You'll often hear the Buffalo D talk about keeping play to the outside - this is part of Buffalo's system.

I'll eat my new Sabres hat (that still doesn't fit) if it's not Buffalo and Carolina in the ECF.

It's awfully early in the year to make statements like that.

As for the rest of it, the East is currently a pretty weak conference outside the Slugs (ask yourself how the hell the Penguins are a division leader after more than 2 games are played). Ottawa is still trying to figure out who they are. Everyone else is battling for the 3rd tier. The real power is out west in the form of San Jose, Minnesota, and the Ducks.

Carolina is a much different team right now, especially in their end. Ward has struggled and they're missing Aaron Ward eating so much blueline ice time. Some things may change when Stillman comes back in a couple of months but there's no way they go into the playoffs with their current defensive corp.

I'll eat my new Sabres hat (that still doesn't fit) if it's not Buffalo and Carolina in the ECF.

I think you're right on this. Montreal doesn't have the goaltending. I think Ottawa is going to get cashed out in the 1st round. Maybe then they will fire that loser coach and bring in some guys with guts.

We haven't played them yet, but what are people's thoughts on Toronto? I haven't seen one of their games yet, but I see they have won some games, and have 11 points to our 18, sitting second in the division. They are 4-3-3 so it's not like they're doing stellar, but they are getting points out of losses (OTL's) which keeps them in the points race.

Also, someone said above that the real power (outside of the Sabres) is in the west. I'd agree, at least so far. League points leaders are (after the Sabres) Dallas, Minn, Anaheim (16 points), then Atlanta also has 16, and then it goes back out West with San Jose (14) Vancouver (13) and Edmonton (12).

Of course, the East might look weak by comparison because the Sabres keep sending Eastern teams home with Zeros and a few with 1's. Are we just hoarding all the points and making the rest look worse than they are?

Archived