Some Stats from Last Night

wjag

Shots on Goal Philly 38 Buf 37..

Buffalo was outshot 16-12 in period 2 and came away with a 6-0 lead... Stunning...

I don't get how they outshot us. I was listening to the game vice watching, but this still amazes me that they had an equal number of chances. It surely didn't sound like Miller was that busy.

16 of 18 Buf players had at least one shot on goal (exceptions: Campbell and Lydman). Although both Campbell and Lydman did get an assist.

How often do you see a penalty shot not counting as a shot on goal? That has to be a horrid feeling.. Kinda like shanking a field goal or sending up an air ball when the games on the line. And on top of that, it was on enemy ice so you get treated to all the heckling afterwards.

I haven't seen anyone point this out, but Miller was very sharp last night. Until we went up 3-0, Philly had plenty of good scoring chances in addition to the penalty shot, including a few lasers from Gagne (who scored 50+ last year). Miller smothered everything. He was one of ESPN's 3 stars for the game, and deservedly so IMHO.

PA, good point about Miller's positioning. It's such a change from watching Dom flop all over the ice, making the spectacular save by contorting like crazy, but Miller is more calm, cool & collected, and makes most of his saves look easy.

It did seem like the Flyers were just bombing away from everywhere, out of frustration.

Even though Buffalo was outshot, at one point in the game we had more scoring chances by a margin of 25-6. The Flyers getting desperate had alot to do with a high shot count but not many chances.

Shots on Goal Philly 38 Buf 37..

Buffalo was outshot 16-12 in period 2 and came away with a 6-0 lead... Stunning...

I don't get how they outshot us. I was listening to the game vice watching, but this still amazes me that they had an equal number of chances. It surely didn't sound like Miller was that busy.

16 of 18 Buf players had at least one shot on goal (exceptions: Campbell and Lydman). Although both Campbell and Lydman did get an assist.

How often do you see a penalty shot not counting as a shot on goal? That has to be a horrid feeling.. Kinda like shanking a field goal or sending up an air ball when the games on the line. And on top of that, it was on enemy ice so you get treated to all the heckling afterwards.

About half of the shots on Miller hit the slug - what we used to refer to as "wearing out the emblem" Those are not scoring chances. I'll take one like Roy's goal for 20 that hit the goalie in the chest.

I guess that is his key, positioning. I'm used to equating speed and skill in the final results of a player, but smarts are just as important. I mean Miller can be mistaken on the street for a week 4 hunger strike participant, but he "plays so big".

On the other hand...Max is really starting to look like Gil. That is probably the one line that will stick all year. Max-Roy-Vanek. Thank you New NHL.

Archived