New Unis = winning championship

FormerFreddie

To my knowledge, the only teams that have ever changed their uniforms/logo and subsequently won a championship that year are the Houston Rockets (1994?) and Denver Broncos (1997). Am I missing any?

Here's to adding a third team to that list!

Why are you no longer a Freddie?

To my knowledge, the only teams that have ever changed their uniforms/logo and subsequently won a championship that year are the Houston Rockets (1994?) and Denver Broncos (1997). Am I missing any?

Here's to adding a third team to that list!

Do the Nordiques count? That was one hell of a uniform change.

Do the Nordiques count? That was one hell of a uniform change.

Did you ever see the uniform the Nordiques were going to switch to, had the team not relocated? (According to nhluniforms.com)

This was going to be a dramtic change, although I am not sure how the logo ties in with the team name...

EDIT: Fixed link.

This is a What if? (I don't want to jinx anything)

Say the Sabres eventaully win a Cup with the new unis then when they raise the banner the slug would be on it. So for eternity, whenever you looked up in the rafters the Slug would always be there. Maybe the hockey gods know the anger towards the slug from the fanbase and as a punishment have the Sabres win the cup with the new unis. I think that would be a nice punishment.

This is a What if? (I don't want to jinx anything)

Say the Sabres eventaully win a Cup with the new unis then when they raise the banner the slug would be on it. So for eternity, whenever you looked up in the rafters the Slug would always be there. Maybe the hockey gods know the anger towards the slug from the fanbase and as a punishment have the Sabres win the cup with the new unis. I think that would be a nice punishment.

Not necessarily. The Sabres this season will be using the abominable snot smear, a blue skewered B, a gold skewered B, the original logo, and a decent word mark. Any one (or a combination of those) could end up on a banner (or banners).

According to a post from this board (~1 month ago), the Sabres plan on wearing the vintage unis in a potential Stanley Cup deciding game on home ice. Assuming the post was correct, if the Sabres don't want to wear the abominable snot smear while winning the Stanley Cup, why would they want to immortalize the abominable snot smear?

Why do you automatically assume the team will put the abominable snot smear on a banner if we are fortunate enough to see them raise one next October?

Also, if they DID put the abominable snot smear on the banner, who is to say that they wouldn't change the banners if the team changed logos? The Bandits championship banners hanging in the rafters all use the new logo even though the 1st wins came while the team wore its original logo.

Not necessarily. The Sabres this season will be using the abominable snot smear, a blue skewered B, a gold skewered B, the original logo, and a decent word mark. Any one (or a combination of those) could end up on a banner (or banners).

According to a post from this board (~1 month ago), the Sabres plan on wearing the vintage unis in a potential Stanley Cup deciding game on home ice. Assuming the post was correct, if the Sabres don't want to wear the abominable snot smear while winning the Stanley Cup, why would they want to immortalize the abominable snot smear?

Why do you automatically assume the team will put the abominable snot smear on a banner if we are fortunate enough to see them raise one next October?

Also, if they DID put the abominable snot smear on the banner, who is to say that they wouldn't change the banners if the team changed logos? The Bandits championship banners hanging in the rafters all use the new logo even though the 1st wins came while the team wore its original logo.

Possibly a stupid question, but does anyone know if they will replace any of the existing B&R banners with a blue & gold version? I haven't been to a game in HSBC in about 5 years, so I can't remember what ones are hanging and in what colors.

I don't know about the uniform thing, but I remember someone (maybe Jim Lorentz?) saying that in 03-04 Tampa Bay opened up the season against New Jersey (defending cup champs) and won, then won the cup that year. In 05-06 Carolina opened the season against Tampa Bay (defending cup champs) and won, then won the cup that year. The Sabres opened the 06-07 season against Carolina.....you see where this is going!

I don't know about the uniform thing, but I remember someone (maybe Jim Lorentz?) saying that in 03-04 Tampa Bay opened up the season against New Jersey (defending cup champs) and won, then won the cup that year. In 05-06 Carolina opened the season against Tampa Bay (defending cup champs) and won, then won the cup that year. The Sabres opened the 06-07 season against Carolina.....you see where this is going!

New Jersey opened up against Boston, not Tampa Bay. (Coincidentally, Tampa Bay also opened up against Boston)

Also, while Carolina did open their season against Tampa Bay last year, they lost 5-2.

Archived