You Gotta Be Effin Kidding Me

CallawaySabres

After watching the highlights on NHL.com, I was going to ask if they used those camera angles on all the shots - I couldn't see how Briere scored and they cut the replay short in the highlight package.

Apparently OLN/Vs. STILL hasn't figured out all the nuances to producing a good NHL game telecast, or they're trying to be the Mike Mularkey of the NHL world, trying to out-cute and out-think everyone all the time...

What a piece of crap - you could not even see two of the saves (or where the shot went). Who are these camera guys?!Won't have to worry about that when at the game tomorrow.....

LMAO!!! no kidding!!! Not only the damn camera angle but how about the stupid black promos running at the bottome of the screen for the NHL and Mountain West football..damn near took up the bottom 6" of my 42" set!!! covering up the puck, players, etc! VS sucks!!!!

Agree on all counts. Those are amateurish broadcasting mistakes. Another annoying thing -- the interview with Bettman during action. Shades of Teddy Brew-ski.

I will say, however, that when Mike Emrick wants to call a game, he is the best national announcer out there. Just terrific.

Agree on all counts. Those are amateurish broadcasting mistakes. Another annoying thing -- the interview with Bettman during action. Shades of Teddy Brew-ski.

I will say, however, that when Mike Emrick wants to call a game, he is the best national announcer out there. Just terrific.

I can't disagree with that statement too much - I would say he is one of the top 2 or 3 national guys out there. Problem is OLN, NBC and all the national networks would rather have the hockey broadcast sound like a MLB or NFL game - a little game talk, then 5 minutes of BS, then a little more game talk, etc, etc...

I can't disagree with that statement too much - I would say he is one of the top 2 or 3 national guys out there.

That's like saying he's the smartest guy on the short bus.

Although I do agree with you, that if they would just call the game and stop yammerin' away, they'd help themselves a lot.

The goal that Briere scored on the shootout was partially blocked by the ref thanks to an odd angle, and what was with that animated VS. logo that would occasionally appear at the bottom announcing their program? That thing came up at the worst times and blocked the action. It was huge and was actually overlayed on the action.

Although I do agree with you, that if they would just call the game and stop yammerin' away, they'd help themselves a lot.

Emerick really bugs me. I could care less which teams these players were on 4 years ago. He also seems to like creating his own phrases like man power advantage. Then there's his worst habit, getting overly excited about the most minor moment. It makes him come across as phony. I'd still take him over those Tampa and Florida announcers though.

And yes, the shootout camera angles were horrible. The whole point of the shootout is whether or not the goalie bites first on one of the fakes. If you can't see the goalie, who the hell knows what's going on.

Emerick really bugs me. I could care less which teams these players were on 4 years ago. He also seems to like creating his own phrases like man power advantage. Then there's his worst habit, getting overly excited about the most minor moment. It makes him come across as phony. I'd still take him over those Tampa and Florida announcers though.

And yes, the shootout camera angles were horrible. The whole point of the shootout is whether or not the goalie bites first on one of the fakes. If you can't see the goalie, who the hell knows what's going on.

My God the Tampa announcers are horrible. When I lived in Orlando, we got the Lightning games on the Sunshine Network (now Sun Sports) and the announcers were so bad that I stopped watching the only free hockey (aside from ESPN) in that market. Friggin brutal...

That thing threw me off a few times... I 'd see it coming up out of the corner of my eye and be like "pass the damn puck to the guy on the wi... oh thats not an actual player"

That animated player appeared to be Mike Peca in his Oilers #37 Jersey. Right hand shot and everything.

I got a bit tired of Emrick's constant references to the fact that Carolina won the Cup last season. He'd keep finding new ways to remind us that they're champions. It reminded me a little of the Sidney Crosby lovefest on OLN from last season when you wouldn't even know that the Sabres were on the ice because they had to discuss just how awesome Crosby is a little more.

Well remember how many times during the ECF did they remind us how loud the arena was, and how they kept ignoring the thousands of Sabres fans in attendance...ignoring the "Let's Go BUFF-A-LO" chant and saying it was all Canes fans...bleh.

You guys are right, Emrick & co. are terrible - we should kill them now... ;)

Define national....maybe it's the nostalgia in me but I love listening to Bob Cole or Jim Hughson. Pay no mind to my Avatar, I'm actually from Buffalo. But I've been lucky enough to have watched them since I was young. I know they can be over the top nationalistic, but why wouldn't they? the majority of their audience is Canadian. I just like the to the point style. Grapes is a pain in the A#$, but he can be funny. And Harry Neale lives in Williamsville.

Sidebar, love the shout out from Broadview Hts, BMWolf. I lived in Westlake for 2 years. Worked at MetroHealth Medical Center.

For my money though, it doesn't get any better than our boy from Switzerland.

"There have been more cheap shots in this game than a Mexican cantina during happy hour!!!"

Define national....maybe it's the nostalgia in me but I love listening to Bob Cole or Jim Hughson. Pay no mind to my Avatar, I'm actually from Buffalo. But I've been lucky enough to have watched them since I was young. I know they can be over the top nationalistic, but why wouldn't they? the majority of their audience is Canadian. I just like the to the point style. Grapes is a pain in the A#$, but he can be funny. And Harry Neale lives in Williamsville.

Sidebar, love the shout out from Broadview Hts, BMWolf. I lived in Westlake for 2 years. Worked at MetroHealth Medical Center.

For my money though, it doesn't get any better than our boy from Switzerland.

"There have been more cheap shots in this game than a Mexican cantina during happy hour!!!"

Nice, Braedon...we just moved to Ohio after five years in Florida...haven't been out to Westlake yet, been mostly around Parma, Independence (where my wife works), Strongsville, those areas mostly. I am trying to get a job with the Cleveland Clinic, but right now its slow going. Its nice to be back "home" in the sense that we can get to our families' homes in WNY in about 3.5 hours for me or 5 hours for the wife's family - as opposed to about 20 hours from Orlando...

same here.

is it just the bitter buffalonian in me, or does the opponent alwasy get a more enthusiastic "GOOOAAALL" when they score than we do?

To be honest, as far as national broadcast announcers go, I think the Joe Beninati/Darren Eliot team is the best. They usually stay pretty focused on the play by play, Eliot is a very good color man and the facts they bring up are usually about the teams actually playing the game they are calling.

However, I must agree on the hatred of made-up phrases. I also hate "man power advantage," the "cage" and my personal peeve: "cancels." Example: "Mair chases into the corner...canceled by Stall..." I despise that.

My God the Tampa announcers are horrible. When I lived in Orlando, we got the Lightning games on the Sunshine Network (now Sun Sports) and the announcers were so bad that I stopped watching the only free hockey (aside from ESPN) in that market. Friggin brutal...

Personally, I love those Boston announcers. Really fair and balanced guys... <_<

Archived