Not Usually One To Look At Power Rankings

CallawaySabres

Looking over at the TSN site, I happened to notice something interesting that bodes well for the Sabres. It really did not have to do with where the Sabres were ranked but how many teams from the Eastern Conference were above them. Buffalo was picked at #8 and the only Eastern team ahead of them was Ottawa at #2.

I do agree that Ottawa should be in the top 5 but Buffalo will still take them. My point is that once the Sabres make the playoffs (no, not over confident - just reality) the majority of the talent is on the Western side where they will pummel each other. Anyhow, I like the way the East is lined up and the Sabres should have another good chance to make it deep in the playoffs.

Well, depending on who you're either talking/listening to, the East is a totally different cat to figure out. All of the prognosticators are saying that Anaheim will come out of the West. IMHO, that's if Teemu Selanne can stay healthy. He's almost as old as Teppo (sorry, Teppo. I had to compare.) Also, just because Giguere won the Conn Smythe a few years ago doesn't mean he'll get it back.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't see how Ottawa can be ahead of the Sabres. They lost some key players, including Big Z, but Hasek is a non-factor at this point. Why so many people fawned over Havlat is beyond me. He's always getting dinged up, and the Blackhawks can have him now. Alfredsson has had a negative spotlight on him for some time now. It seems to me that the best chance for Ottawa to get the cup was when Roger Neilson was with them (shortly before, sadly, he died).

Back to the topic at hand. I don't see how Ottawa can be ahead of the Sabres. They lost some key players, including Big Z, but Hasek is a non-factor at this point. Why so many people fawned over Havlat is beyond me. He's always getting dinged up, and the Blackhawks can have him now. Alfredsson has had a negative spotlight on him for some time now. It seems to me that the best chance for Ottawa to get the cup was when Roger Neilson was with them (shortly before, sadly, he died).

Well, seeing as how Ottawa did lose some big talent, Buffalo lost some talent too. No more Dumont, McKee, lost some grit when Grier left. The only replacement not coming from Rochestor is Spacek. Buffalo is not guaranteed to be as good as last year just because most of the team is back. Buffalo will yet again be dependent on some rookies and young players stepping up and playing at 120% just to match their production from last year. Ottawa dominated Buffalo during the season and only lost to them when they were relying on their backup to beat us. Now they lost Hasek but picked up a reliable (but not as good) starter in Gerber. There was alot of talent on that team last year and they are still going to be the team to beat in the division. I think they have been brought a back a bit closer to Earth but they are still a top team

Archived