DirectTV, NHL Center Ice and the Sports Package

BayAreaSabresFan

Hi Outside-of-Buffalo Sabres Fans with DirectTV:

Are there any games on MSG that are not on NHL Center Ice? I have the sports package that allows me to get MSG and I have NHL Center Ice. I got great value in the sports package when it picked up Empire but now I have it only for Sabres games. Do I need both?

Thanks

No.

If you only had CI and didn't have the sports package, the only way you would not see a Sabres game that is broadcast by either/both the Sabres or their opponents (and this year it looks like all the Sabres games will be broadcast by MSG, OLN, or NBC) is if they were playing against SJ and either the station holding SJ's broadcast rights decided not to show it in your area or if the CI feed was the MSG feed and you don't get the channel that broadcasts SJ's games. Whoever has SJ's broadcast rights gets to choose whether or not to show the game and their feed has to be the one shown in SJ's market, although they take a back seat in the pecking order to OLN and NBC. Which is why I get all the MSG feeds living in the Ra-cha-cha area.

So you can save your money and dump the sports package. But remember, CI doesn't show any of the pre/post game shows (occasionally the feed doesn't cut off right when the game ends, but that is definitely not typical). The regional sports networks only black out the game itself. They do not black out their pregame and postgame shows, so if you like catching those (and it doesn't sound like you do), you'd need to keep the sports package.

there is one wrinkle here that I think is worth mentioning, although I don't yet have full info: if you have HD, the regional sports network (RSN) package MIGHT get you a bunch of sabres/other NHL games in HD. The reason I say this is that the DirecTV website says that if you have the HD package and you get the RSN package, you will get a bunch of the RSNs in HD (and there is a page on the DirecTV website that lists which RSNs it broadcasts in HD). In theory, this means that when one of those RSNs is showing its local NHL team in HD, a subscriber to the RSN, CI and HD packages would get that NHL game in HD.

For example, NESN, which I believe shows the bruins, is one of the RSNs that DirecTV broadcasts in HD. Hopefully, this means that when CI shows the NESN feed of a Sabres-Bruins game, it would be in HD if you have the HD, CI and RSN package (which would go a long way toward making up for the putrid NESN announcers and general production quality).

I have not been able to get confirmation of this theory anywhere, but I will probably spring for the RSN package for the 1st couple of months of the season to see if it's true. I dearly hope so, since it looks like DirecTV will again fail to carry OLN/VS in HD.

there is one wrinkle here that I think is worth mentioning, although I don't yet have full info: if you have HD, the regional sports network (RSN) package MIGHT get you a bunch of sabres/other NHL games in HD. The reason I say this is that the DirecTV website says that if you have the HD package and you get the RSN package, you will get a bunch of the RSNs in HD (and there is a page on the DirecTV website that lists which RSNs it broadcasts in HD). In theory, this means that when one of those RSNs is showing its local NHL team in HD, a subscriber to the RSN, CI and HD packages would get that NHL game in HD.

For example, NESN, which I believe shows the bruins, is one of the RSNs that DirecTV broadcasts in HD. Hopefully, this means that when CI shows the NESN feed of a Sabres-Bruins game, it would be in HD if you have the HD, CI and RSN package (which would go a long way toward making up for the putrid NESN announcers and general production quality).

I have not been able to get confirmation of this theory anywhere, but I will probably spring for the RSN package for the 1st couple of months of the season to see if it's true. I dearly hope so, since it looks like DirecTV will again fail to carry OLN/VS in HD.

That would be AWESOME! Let us know what you find out. I'd definitely get the sports pack if I could see more games in HD. Doesn't sound right to me, though.

OLN in HD would usually be in the channels from 90 to 99. Keep your eyes open and check for Sabres games (on OLN) in that range.

your out of market regional feeds will be blacked out for live games. Also, since the sabres actually play on MSG alternate, the alternate channel is blacked out outside of buffalo. Your best bet to ensure youreself of all 82 games is to get nhl center ice (or spend a hell of a lot of money on plane tickets and game tickets. )

also, as dave mentioned, the pre and postgame shows will be blacked out... however, if someone forgets to hit the switch at nhl center ice headquarters, you'll see the postgame show. this happened to me for about 3 or 4 games last season, including the sabres/senators jp dumont OT game, however as soon as you switched the channel, it was gone.

There is a "shootout postgame show" podcast available for itunes though, through sabres.com. I use that to see roby and the boys break things down.

Does anyone know when the Center Ice free preview is available? I know its usually within the first week, with a discount for ordering early, but the Center Ice InDemand website hasn't been updated - keeps saying "check back soon for the next season's schedule."

Just want to make sure that I am going to be able to see the Sabres break the Canes' hearts on opening night...

Does anyone know when the Center Ice free preview is available? I know its usually within the first week, with a discount for ordering early, but the Center Ice InDemand website hasn't been updated - keeps saying "check back soon for the next season's schedule."

Just want to make sure that I am going to be able to see the Sabres break the Canes' hearts on opening night...

That game is on Vs. (OLN) so it won't be on Center Ice.

That game is on Vs. (OLN) so it won't be on Center Ice.

Thanks, hopelessly. Now I have to check and see if Cox Cleveland carries OLN/versus.

Anyone know what channels Center Ice is on with DirecTV?

Usually it's the 700s but all I see is NFL, MLB, ESPN then MLS channels.

Last year our cable carrier in Orlando used the same channels for both the MLB & NHL packages, so yours might be doing something similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So of course the sons of beotches here in Ohio (Cox Cleveland) don't have OLN/versus as part of their lineup - regular or digital.

Does anyone know, if OLN is not carried by your local cable provider, will the games be available on the Center Ice package, or do they still screw you with the blackout rules/ (I am afraid to hear the answer on this...)

Thanks, hopelessly. Now I have to check and see if Cox Cleveland carries OLN/versus.

Last year our cable carrier in Orlando used the same channels for both the MLB & NHL packages, so yours might be doing something similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So of course the sons of beotches here in Ohio (Cox Cleveland) don't have OLN/versus as part of their lineup - regular or digital.

Does anyone know, if OLN is not carried by your local cable provider, will the games be available on the Center Ice package, or do they still screw you with the blackout rules/ (I am afraid to hear the answer on this...)

CI only picks up games that aren't on Vs. or NBC. They aren't allowed to show Vs. games.

Sorry.

Anyone know what channels Center Ice is on with DirecTV?

Usually it's the 700s but all I see is NFL, MLB, ESPN then MLS channels.

Channel 216 had the center ice promo and order screen running last nite....usually they are in the 700s and will be listed once the guide is updated sometime this week i guessing. I picked it up 4 payments of $37.25, wife's gonna kill me but then again she loves hockey!

When I first got DirecTV I signed up for the Sports Package and looked forward to seeing Sabres games, but was shocked that they blacked them out. When I complained to DTV, they said the only way to see the games themselves is to get Center Ice. So I canceled my Sports Package and switched to Center Ice. I've had it ever since.

I was born and raised in Cheektowaga, and lived in Detroit for a while, so my two teams are the Sabres and Red Wings. The Red Wings held sway for a while, but the Sabres are definitely the team to watch these days. What a great run they had last year; looking forward to a good season this year. After all, they have a few defensemen that have more Conference Finals experience than Regular Season experience, don't they? I figure that's a pretty good way to start a career!

Anyway, Center Ice saves me from having to watch the Stars to see any hockey at all. Before I got Center Ice, that nearly killed me.

Halleluhah! Even though there's nothing on them, the NHL Center Ice channels have been turned "on" by DirecTV.

It's on channels 764 to 774 and they even have the Sabres-Canadiens (10/6 @ 7:30 EST/6:30 CST) and Sabres-Senators (10/7 @ 7 EST/6 CST) showing as upcoming broadcasts.

I'm going to watch Wed on "VS"/OLN, DVR the TO-Ottawa game which should be showing on the free preview and check it for a special special early bird price better than the $149 - if they don't beat that I'll sign up for it right then and settle in for a season of Sabres hockey!

BTW - as I said in an earlier post last month, with MLB this spring, they had another $20 off promo showing during the free preview but as others have said, $149 is probably the best deal they're offering this year - still, doesn't hur to wait as the free promo runs through the 10th - same day the EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT ends. DON"T PAY $169 anyone!

Bumping this to see if you ever got any additional information on this? I had heard D* was not able to do the NHL in HD this year, like they do for Sunday Ticket, although we will probably get the OLN HD games on channel 95 periodically. If they are able to offer it via the RSN's that would be fantastic! But I just don't think they have the bandwidth to do that right now. Let us know if you know anything - I'd gladly pay for the sports package if that were the case :rolleyes:

Bumping this to see if you ever got any additional information on this? I had heard D* was not able to do the NHL in HD this year, like they do for Sunday Ticket, although we will probably get the OLN HD games on channel 95 periodically. If they are able to offer it via the RSN's that would be fantastic! But I just don't think they have the bandwidth to do that right now. Let us know if you know anything - I'd gladly pay for the sports package if that were the case :rolleyes:

I am informed that there is a new satellite that has recently been put into service called the MPEG-4 that offers a lot more HD content, POSSIBLY including HD feeds of the RSNs, which could POSSIBLY get you more NHL in HD. How's that for a non-definitive answer? Accessing the new satellite requires that you get a new dish and a new receiver. The new receiver has a DVR option, but it's not Tivo -- which means it won't be as good. However, it will probably do what we need, ie record the games.

I am going to let the dust settle on the beginning of the season and check the directv/HD forums periodically as to whether there is in fact more NHL shown in HD before I make the plunge. I will post if there is good news.

In any case, I'm sure you're aware that the game tonight is being shown in HD on channel 95. That's a pretty sweet bonus, although I'm also sure that it will only make me want more games in HD.

This is complete bull-#%^$#!. I'm out here in Western Canada, and I can't see tonights game. We don't get OLN or vs., TSN shows the games featured on that channel. But, oh goody, we get the Leafs/Sens and Avs/Stars.

No Sabre game. I hate that mutha-fukka TSN, Toronto Sports Network so much. They always find a way to screw the Western Canadians. As far as I know, there is no way for us Sabres or Canes fans to see that game. The NHL and Bettman should step in and say,"We want our product shown, if the rights to a game (held by TSN) are not exercised, then the game should appear on Center Ice, or the NHL network, or SOMETHING!!!

Work it out, it's major BS that the Leaf/Sens game will be on 3, maybe 4 channels on my cable, but I can't see the Stanley Cup champs and the East finalists play the banner-raising game.

Great freakin' marketing job. It's all about the fans, right? As long as they live in New York City or Toronto.

Cox Cleveland doesn't carry OLN/Vs. AT ALL - not on a sports tier, not in an extended digital package - nothing.

I go back to last year's standard WTF are they doing on OLN anyway? What, Lifetime wouldn't pony up enough cash for the TV rights?

Anyway this pretty much guarantees that I'll be switching to DirecTV in the very near future...

Oh, this is brilliant. I checked out all the OLN games featuring Buffalo. Of the 6 remaining games, only one, the Oct.17th game, is being shown on TSN. And, as it stands now, Centre Ice in Canada isn't showing those OLN games. So, we're screwed.

To make it even better, the 5 games I will miss, are on Mondays and Tuesdays. I work every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. The only Sabre games I get to see are on the remaining 4 nights, you know, like a Monday or Tuesday....and there aren't a lot of games that come on those nights.

Doesn't this seem like a major screw-up by the NHL? How, in this day and age, can you let ridiculous red-tape and restrictions keep someone from seeing the game? Oh I understand OLN has paid money to show these games, but what harm is there in me, a Canadian, with access to almost all the same products as an American, seeing the advertising on the OLN network? Wouldn't the businesses advertising with OLN be thrilled to think their product was getting a little extra viewership? Depending on the game, they may have more Canadians watching than Americans.

Meanwhile back at Lumbourg Industries, major sponsor of NHL hockey on OLN....

"Gee sir, we've received 10,000 orders from Canada on the internet, for our Lumbourg Sonic Resonators. We don't even advertise in Canada."

"Hmmm, it must be that damned OLN network showing hockey in Canada again. I hate money and commerce. Call the guys at OLN and cancel our advertisements. I'd rather be poor than get Canadian money. Oh, and I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. 'kay?"

I am informed that there is a new satellite that has recently been put into service called the MPEG-4 that offers a lot more HD content, POSSIBLY including HD feeds of the RSNs, which could POSSIBLY get you more NHL in HD. How's that for a non-definitive answer? Accessing the new satellite requires that you get a new dish and a new receiver. The new receiver has a DVR option, but it's not Tivo -- which means it won't be as good. However, it will probably do what we need, ie record the games.

I am going to let the dust settle on the beginning of the season and check the directv/HD forums periodically as to whether there is in fact more NHL shown in HD before I make the plunge. I will post if there is good news.

In any case, I'm sure you're aware that the game tonight is being shown in HD on channel 95. That's a pretty sweet bonus, although I'm also sure that it will only make me want more games in HD.

Thanks - I knew about the MPEG4 technology, but I am not ready to jump to their DVR. Appreciate any updates you bring back here if you learn more. The RSN's via HD would probably be enough to make me jump. As it is, I'm basically waiting until they turn the switch to MPEG4 for all the additional national network feeds in HD, and possibly even Sunday Ticket games in HD. I could care less about my locals in HD since I have an OTA. However, after the recent software upgrade to 6.3a to my HD Tivo I could be persuaded to move more quickly....

Doesn't this seem like a major screw-up by the NHL? How, in this day and age, can you let ridiculous red-tape and restrictions keep someone from seeing the game? Oh I understand OLN has paid money to show these games, but what harm is there in me, a Canadian, with access to almost all the same products as an American, seeing the advertising on the OLN network? Wouldn't the businesses advertising with OLN be thrilled to think their product was getting a little extra viewership? Depending on the game, they may have more Canadians watching than Americans.

Don't get me started on the red-tape BS regarding blackouts and Center Ice/DirecTV and all that. I understand the idea of protecting the national broadcast, but if you are in an area that doesn't get the channel its on, wouldn't you be better served to make sure some people in that untapped market can see the game (and your advertisers) via the Center Ice package? Cox Cleveland doesn't get OLN/Vs. AT ALL - not as part of a tier, or extended package, or anything. Not at all. Nothing - zip, zilch, zero, nada. Yet in under the guise of protecting their national broadcast rights, they would rather say "screw you guys - if your cable company doesn't carry us - you won't see us at all." Guess I should have chosen the right cable carrier when I moved in. Oh, that's right - I didn't have a choice...

How soon can I get DirecTV?!?

I have DirecTV with middle package of channels ($49 a month or so) - it has OLN/VS and is a better deal than Dish which I had last year (and didn't have OLN unless you paid like $60 a month). Am also going to get Center Ice tomorrow for the $149.

You should be able to get DirecTV hooked up within a few days (mine took 3 or 4) but might take longer in a bigger city. You can get 4 rooms & DVR (which works nicely) for free - just have to pay the extra $5 per room and $6/month for DVR.

If you know someone who already has DirecTV, get them to refer you so they/you can split the $100 bonus.

I really feel for the guy in Western Canada and it is time the government makes some common sense regulation of blackout rules - there shouldn't be monopolies in this day & age and that's in effect what's happening. I'm surprised some Trial Lawyer hasn't filed a class action law suit - aren't there lots of those in Buffalo (always seeing their commercials when it's the Buffalo feed) - maybe someone should call one of them - I bet they could come up with a snappy catch phrase such as "screwed by the NHL??? Then call the law firm of G, H & L!"

Archived