What will become of Sabretooth?

buffalowing

They will probably change his colors back to his original orange color that he was prior to 1996 and the change to the black & red uniforns.

They also have to change the Buffalo head at the top of the jumbotron, so hopefully the slug won't look too horrible up there.

I don't see why the Buffalo head has to go. Does every use of that symbol have to be obliterated now? It represents EASILY the most enjoyable and successful 10-year period in team history.

Briere, I agree about sabres.com, but what do you want in a team site? I find myself NEVER going there, and doubt I would go often even if it was fantastic. Media and fan sites serve all my needs.

Well it should be interesting when we have a team called the Buffalo Sabres wearing a jersey with a logo without sabres in it at all, a legless slug at center ice and as the main logo, and a mascot that is a tiger...that all makes a lot of sense.

Youppi! makes no sense but it's still an awesome mascot.

Well it should be interesting when we have a team called the Buffalo Sabres wearing a jersey with a logo without sabres in it at all, a legless slug at center ice and as the main logo, and a mascot that is a tiger...that all makes a lot of sense.

I agree, it's time that these team nicknames and logos make more literal sense. No more American or European players on the Canadiens. The Maple Leafs must change their colors to green or a more autumnish red/orange (a blue maple leaf, yeah right). The Penguins must wear hockey pants where the seat comes down to their ankles (Penguin don't skate, they waddle and sometimes slide on their bellies). The Flames must wear uniforms that spontaneously combust. Columbus must wear blue parkas. And Los Angeles must wear giant plastic heads (like the Burger King in those commercials) and use sceptors instead of hockey sticks. Teams that are named after migrating birds, must be changed. After all, when was the last time you saw a duck or a thrasher walking around on a frozen pond?

I agree, it's time that these team nicknames and logos make more literal sense. No more American or European players on the Canadiens. The Maple Leafs must change their colors to green or a more autumnish red/orange (a blue maple leaf, yeah right). The Penguins must wear hockey pants where the seat comes down to their ankles (Penguin don't skate, they waddle and sometimes slide on their bellies). The Flames must wear uniforms that spontaneously combust. Columbus must wear blue parkas. And Los Angeles must wear giant plastic heads (like the Burger King in those commercials) and use sceptors instead of hockey sticks. Teams that are named after migrating birds, must be changed. After all, when was the last time you saw a duck or a thrasher walking around on a frozen pond?

Did the point he posted make a sound as it was flying over your head?

Nice!

I for one do wish the logo-rrhea would end... Let's play some hockey!

Did the point he posted make a sound as it was flying over your head?

What, that the Sabres management are a bunch of dolts at marketing? That the paranoid posters here believe that Quinn and co. are trying to stick it to the fans?

I agree with the first statement, but can live with it, as I completely disagree with the second.

Let's see, we have a management team that builds a Cup contender and takes care of its STH base, but can't market itself out of a paper bag? I'll take it every time.

What, that the Sabres management are a bunch of dolts at marketing? That the paranoid posters here believe that Quinn and co. are trying to stick it to the fans?

I agree with the first statement, but can live with it, as I completely disagree with the second.

Let's see, we have a management team that builds a Cup contender and takes care of its STH base, but can't market itself out of a paper bag? I'll take it every time.

Well, yeah.

But his point was that the logo or image should have *something* to do with the team's nickname. Every other logo in the league does, except perhaps Boston, which is just weird.

Well, yeah.

But his point was that the logo or image should have *something* to do with the team's nickname. Every other logo in the league does, except perhaps Boston, which is just weird.

Which got me to thinking what if we really took every nickname to its literal extreme, there would be some funny conclusions (at least I hope they were ;) ).

Well, yeah.

The Canadians logo really doesn't go with the nickname (heck, the french have wanted out of canada for years yet their hockey team is named the Canadians) the should have their logo the same as the leafs except in red.

The Wild logo doesn't really go with the nickname (what is a wild?) there logo is a bear head

The Canucks logo has nothing to do with the nickname (it actually has to do with the company that owns them)

What about the Rangers? they just have their nickname written on the jerseys, not even a real logo.

And Sabre tooth is a Sabre tooth Tiger so he does represent their nickname because the name of the pre-historic animal is SABRE tooth tiger. Would you prefer they have a long Giant sword running around hugging children as the mascot? Just be glad no one is trying to get them to change their name like they did in the NBA with Washington where they had to change from the Bullets because they said it promoted violence. A Sabre could promote violence cause it is a sword which is a weapon too.

Buffalo is lucky because the City name can also be used for the log because it is also something a team could be named (after the animal) So they can be called the Buffalo Sabres and have a Buffalo for a logo too. Its not like they have the Paychex logo or HSBC's wave logo as their logo. The new logo is a heck of alot closer to representing them then the Canucks logo

The Canadians logo really doesn't go with the nickname (heck, the french have wanted out of canada for years yet their hockey team is named the Canadians) the should have their logo the same as the leafs except in red.

The Wild logo doesn't really go with the nickname (what is a wild?) there logo is a bear head

The Canucks logo has nothing to do with the nickname (it actually has to do with the company that owns them)

What about the Rangers? they just have their nickname written on the jerseys, not even a real logo.

Buffalo is lucky because the City name can also be used for the log because it is also something a team could be named (after the animal) So they can be called the Buffalo Sabres and have a Buffalo for a logo too. Its not like they have the Paychex logo or HSBC's wave logo as their logo. The new logo is a heck of alot closer to representing them then the Canucks logo

Phoenix, Columbus, Washington, San Jose, Los Angeles and St Loius are all in the same position as Buffalo as far as city name goes yet, there are no flaming bird, Christopher Columbus, George Washington, Saint Joseph, angels or Saint Louis logos out there. All those teams illustrated thier nickname in thier logos.

Why does every team from Buffalo have to have an American BISON as its logo?

Sabretooth is orange and black... like a tiger a Sabretooth tiger. Why would he change colors b/c of a new jersey???

I

Because he did back in '96 when the Sabres changed from B&G to R&B. Sabretooth used to be orange with a slightly differently shaped head. In '96 he drank a flask of "Sabre Red" and was magically transformed into the red, rappeling, guitar playing lug Sabres kids know and love.

I have no idea if he will "change his stripes" again. I just hope if he does that he doesn't end up gold and black. That would just look weird. But on the scrolling message board, the new logo's gold is a bright orange, so maybe that is the color that Sabretooth will end up. (He used to be a much duller orange.)

How do we know what color sabre-tooth tigers were? On the Flintstones, they were tan, and I take the Flintstones and all the historical references within the program, very, very seriously.

Now, as to the matter of what to do with Sabre-tooth? Well, let's begin by taking one of those now un-used sabres, and.....you can fill in the rest.

Well, the name of the Montreal hockey team is Club de Hockey Canadien. (Please note the spelling). Their logo takes the first letters; the "C" in the logo is actually a red C inside a outlined blue C. The H goes in the middle.

-Ed :rolleyes:

Archived