"Love" from Sporting News

That Aud Smell

Anyone see the Sporting News article by Kara Yorio? (Some name, btw.)

Sporting News Piece

While I'm all for national media outlets calling for the Sabres to bring home the Cup, I can do without endorsements from "writers" who sound like they still chat with their "editors" during homeroom, lunch and study hall.

What's wrong with Yorio's article or prognostications? I didn't get a hint of her not knowing what she's talking about, or talking in "national media generalities"; rather, she seemed to cover all the bases, short of going deep into who replaces some of the departed (Grier and Dumont.) Besides, her profile seems to indicate that she has some experience covering the NHL on both a local and national level.

Wolf, I won't try to defend my post, since I'm a little ashamed of having put it up in the first place. By way of explanation, I'll agree with you that Yorio's piece was thorough (if superficial) and even conscientious -- it just came off as awfully sophomoric to this reader.

Thanks for "getting it," PA.

Sorry guys - I guess I just didn't get the joke. When I read the article, I never saw the word "Sabers" and I'm usually pretty quick to catch typos like that. Maybe subconsciously my expectations lower dramatically when reading a blog, I don't know...

Ironically, she did correctly pick the Cup winner at the start of the playoffs last year...

I'm not sure I understand why you guys are ragging on her. It's a blog. As such, I actually thought it was pretty decent.

IF the Sabres don't get struck by the injury bug like they did last year AND they don't suffer too many "sophomore slumps", the Sabres will definitely be contenders this year. So, hopefully, she's correct.

Yorio has been following the NHL for several years now. She's no Jim Kelley or John Buccigross, but she is better than most US based hockey writers.

Yorio has been following the NHL for several years now. She's no Jim Kelley or John Buccigross, but she is better than most US based hockey writers.

Please tell me you didn't just use Jim Kelley and Buccigross in the same sentence. You might as well compare him to Bucky Gleason while you're at it.

Please tell me you didn't just use Jim Kelley and Buccigross in the same sentence. You might as well compare him to Bucky Gleason while you're at it.

Nine minutes. I didn't think it would take that long for someone to post back on that one.

Look, one is in the HoF (deservedly) and the other isn't (again, deservedly). And I can see where all the "pop" music references (I use pop in quotation marks, because I think one of the prerequisites for being called pop is that the music is actually POPular, and several of his favorites definitely aren't; not that that is a bad thing) in his articles can be annoying; but he is one of only 3 people at all of ESPN (John Saunders and Bill Pidto (sp?) being the other 2) who seem to actually like hockey and when he is actually writing about hockey his columns are pretty good IMO.

EDIT: But I will also give you, that I should have put the word "even" in front of "John" in the original post.

I'm not sure I understand why you guys are ragging on her. It's a blog. As such, I actually thought it was pretty decent.

IF the Sabres don't get struck by the injury bug like they did last year AND they don't suffer too many "sophomore slumps", the Sabres will definitely be contenders this year. So, hopefully, she's correct.

Yeah, she used to write a weekly NHL column for the Sporting News (not sure if SN still has weekly NHL coverage). She hit the Sabres pretty hard during the bankruptcy, and even touted them as a candidate for contraction.

Nine minutes. I didn't think it would take that long for someone to post back on that one.

Look, one is in the HoF (deservedly) and the other isn't (again, deservedly). And I can see where all the "pop" music references (I use pop in quotation marks, because I think one of the prerequisites for being called pop is that the music is actually POPular, and several of his favorites definitely aren't; not that that is a bad thing) in his articles can be annoying; but he is one of only 3 people at all of ESPN (John Saunders and Bill Pidto (sp?) being the other 2) who seem to actually like hockey and when he is actually writing about hockey his columns are pretty good IMO.

EDIT: But I will also give you, that I should have put the word "even" in front of "John" in the original post.

Yeah, I knew what you were saying, but I still had to call you on it. I miss Jim Kelley. We were really lucky to have him writing for our paper for all those years.

But hey, if you ever need a name for your kid, Buccigross is the way to go.

I must admit, I hadn't picked up on the fact that the piece was ensconced in a "blog." Still, I think it's an immaterial distinction. The publication is holding her out as a sports journalist (an expert, in fact (but that's not my issue).) She's likewise holding herself out as a sports journalist. My point being, this ain't a case of NHL-superfan Kara Yorio maintaining a hockey blog at blogspot.com or whatever. If that had been the case, I certainly would've refrained from taking a shot at the quality of her writing. And that's all it was, btw. I'm not quibbling with her conclusions or the bases therefor.

she is better than most US based hockey writers.

Wow. Like I said, I read that piece and got the overwhelming vibe that it was written by the terrifically talented sports editor at the local high school. Maybe that's just a roundabout indictment on the quality of U.S. hockey writers.

I must admit, I hadn't picked up on the fact that the piece was ensconced in a "blog." Still, I think it's an immaterial distinction. The publication is holding her out as a sports journalist (an expert, in fact (but that's not my issue).) She's likewise holding herself out as a sports journalist. My point being, this ain't a case of NHL-superfan Kara Yorio maintaining a hockey blog at blogspot.com or whatever. If that had been the case, I certainly would've refrained from taking a shot at the quality of her writing. And that's all it was, btw. I'm not quibbling with her conclusions or the bases therefor.

Wow. Like I said, I read that piece and got the overwhelming vibe that it was written by the terrifically talented sports editor at the local high school. Maybe that's just a roundabout indictment on the quality of U.S. hockey writers.

Yahoo often posts her articles. I'd say for the most part it's usually a pretty good read. As for not spelling Sabres right, that might not be her fault. Go type Sabres into Word, spell check wants to change it. She may have run a spell check without re-reading it after, or someone else may have made the change.

Archived