GAME THREAD

Corp000085

i'm with you PTR... this team has shown that it can come back from being down... That and shooting the puck from the point (ala mckee from last night) have really given the sabres an advantage in the third period. People rag on the goaltending because it is a weakness (at least goaltending depth... remember people,. we have a calder cup candidate who's about to be able to play again)... This is a playoff team, who can do some damage.

Teppo scored a sweat goal tonight. That was one of the best tips I've ever seen.

Anyway, that was a nice come from behind win. They were flat out dominated for the first 40 minutes. Luckily they turned it on at the end. Sure, it would be nice to control for the entire game, but all that matters in the end is that 4-3 score.

OK, here is my report from NYC after attending tonight's game: great win for the sabres. We came out flat and got dominated in the 1st period. Understandable given that we were starting our 3rd string goalie (yes, I am officially giving that status to Marty), were missing our best player (no info on Briere but he wasn't playing, that's for sure), lost a shootout last night after being ahead in regulation with 4 minutes left and had to travel today.

Even so, we got it together and took it to them in the 2nd and dominated the 3rd and OT. The D was pretty solid -- looks like we dressed 7 defensemen since Briere couldn't go. Pyatt's stock is rising, as he took Briere's spot on the top line with Connolly (who led all forwards in ice time) and Kotalik. Connolly again was not as aggressive as I'd like in the offensive end but still solid, esp. on the PK.

Glad to have Max back. He just makes things happen. the goals will start to come for him. Same for Vanek and Roy, although Roy needs a little more muscle and feistiness to his game -- like Max has.

Kotalik is officially our most dangerous goal scorer or at least is tied with Briere for that honor. One Kotalik item I've noticed in the past couple of games is that he is now playing the right point on the PP, instead of the left, where he scored all those goals with the big slapper. I really liked him on the left, but Lindy knows what he's doing.

I'll say it again: LINDY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING. If the Sabres weren't a well-coached team they would've gone into the tank when down 3-1 in this game (on the road, 2nd game of back-to-back, lost in shootout previous night, etc.). Instead we pulled it together and are now 3 games over .500 and have won 4 out of 6 plus gotten a point in one of the 2 we didn't win -- all after losing our goalie and promptly going 1 and 5.

BTW, Miro Satan flashed back to his last 3 years as a Sabre, playing 24 minutes and recording ZERO shots on goal. He was completely invisible -- and at $4 million per year (which is I think what he's making), that's $50K the Isles paid him for punching the clock tonight. Notice they didn't bother putting him in the shootout (although he might have been the 3rd shooter had they gotten that far).

Speaking of which, Marty obviously deserves a lot of credit for stoning 2 good players in the shootout, esp. after getting abused last night (which was putting him in an unfair situation).

Finally, I'll say that I really like the Nassau Coliseum. It's an older, smaller arena, very reminiscent of the Aud, the Boston Garden and the other small bandboxes. Easy to get to, relatively inexpensive (parking was $6.50 and we walked up to the box office and got $95 face value tickets -- about 15-20 rows behind the goal with a great view -- for $38 on a "student" discount for my 5-year old son) and the seats are close to the action. I'll definitely go back there and would recommend it to anyone in the NYC area.

Go Sabres. Time to take it up a notch and beat those smelly Habs.

OK, here is my report from NYC after attending tonight's game: great win for the sabres. We came out flat and got dominated in the 1st period. Understandable given that we were starting our 3rd string goalie (yes, I am officially giving that status to Marty), were missing our best player (no info on Briere but he wasn't playing, that's for sure), lost a shootout last night after being ahead in regulation with 4 minutes left and had to travel today.

Even so, we got it together and took it to them in the 2nd and dominated the 3rd and OT. The D was pretty solid -- looks like we dressed 7 defensemen since Briere couldn't go. Pyatt's stock is rising, as he took Briere's spot on the top line with Connolly (who led all forwards in ice time) and Kotalik. Connolly again was not as aggressive as I'd like in the offensive end but still solid, esp. on the PK.

Glad to have Max back. He just makes things happen. the goals will start to come for him. Same for Vanek and Roy, although Roy needs a little more muscle and feistiness to his game -- like Max has.

Kotalik is officially our most dangerous goal scorer or at least is tied with Briere for that honor. One Kotalik item I've noticed in the past couple of games is that he is now playing the right point on the PP, instead of the left, where he scored all those goals with the big slapper. I really liked him on the left, but Lindy knows what he's doing.

I'll say it again: LINDY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING. If the Sabres weren't a well-coached team they would've gone into the tank when down 3-1 in this game (on the road, 2nd game of back-to-back, lost in shootout previous night, etc.). Instead we pulled it together and are now 3 games over .500 and have won 4 out of 6 plus gotten a point in one of the 2 we didn't win -- all after losing our goalie and promptly going 1 and 5.

BTW, Miro Satan flashed back to his last 3 years as a Sabre, playing 24 minutes and recording ZERO shots on goal. He was completely invisible -- and at $4 million per year (which is I think what he's making), that's $50K the Isles paid him for punching the clock tonight. Notice they didn't bother putting him in the shootout (although he might have been the 3rd shooter had they gotten that far).

Speaking of which, Marty obviously deserves a lot of credit for stoning 2 good players in the shootout, esp. after getting abused last night (which was putting him in an unfair situation).

Finally, I'll say that I really like the Nassau Coliseum. It's an older, smaller arena, very reminiscent of the Aud, the Boston Garden and the other small bandboxes. Easy to get to, relatively inexpensive (parking was $6.50 and we walked up to the box office and got $95 face value tickets -- about 15-20 rows behind the goal with a great view -- for $38 on a "student" discount for my 5-year old son) and the seats are close to the action. I'll definitely go back there and would recommend it to anyone in the NYC area.

Go Sabres. Time to take it up a notch and beat those smelly Habs.

nice write up.

$95 tix for 38 is a bargain!

Go sabes, nice comeback win againt shitnik and shitan.

Kotalik is officially our most dangerous goal scorer or at least is tied with Briere for that honor.  One Kotalik item I've noticed in the past couple of games is that he is now playing the right point on the PP, instead of the left, where he scored all those goals with the big slapper.  I really liked him on the left, but Lindy knows what he's doing.

To me, it looks like teams have started to lock down on him on that left point. When he's on the right point, he's not as effective, but they're hoping that he'll still draw the attention, opening up someone else.

To me, it looks like teams have started to lock down on him on that left point.  When he's on the right point, he's not as effective, but they're hoping that he'll still draw the attention, opening up someone else.

Exactly what happened on that first goal tonight. The Sabres kept it in that zone--tiring themselves, surely, but tiring the 4-man defense even more. As the two mins. drew to a close, it was Campbell's, not Kotalik's, slapper that found its way to DiPietro and eventually to Drury.

Would not have happened without both superior puck control and the Isles' concentration on Kotalik. It was a great example of what happens with constant pressure in the defending team's end (as was the Isles' first goal), and I hope the Sabres remember and duplicate it.

It's not fashionable to praise this team on this website, but the Sabres really seem to thrive in one-goal situations. How many games have they won after being down in the 3rd? Could it be the coaching? Naw!

PTR

I still don't know what a Coach like Ruff could tell a player like Vanek. 3 goals in 22 games?

The Dog Days of the Hockey Season are coming up. Ruff will have a tough job keeping this team skateing. They need to make sure that the "nights off" are few and far between. It's really simple. If this team skates it can win almost any night.

Ruff would be served well if Drury can keep the offense going while dropping his -9 +/-.

Also,

I know Roy is a board fav. But at 10 games, 3 points and a -6 +/- it might be time to give someone else from the ROC a shot.

hmm excuse me for being harsh... but register!

you heard it here for the 15475384970th time...

I'll register if you give me 20 bucks. That's cheap considering how important registering is to you and how unimportant it is to me and many others.

This team will advance to no less than the second round of the playoffs.

You heard it here first.

I'll take it considering they were supposed to finish 13th in the conference. ;) Besides, I find this club to be entertaining 85% of the time and then down right frustrating the other 15%. They have my support no matter what place they finish this year or how far they get in the playoffs, but I guess that is why I call myself a Sabres fan.

hmm excuse me for being harsh... but register!

you heard it here for the 15475384970th time...

Now that I have registered, you have all admitted my arguments as correct since the only thing you said to me before was "REGISTER!"

:ph34r: <------- DeLuca