Re-Signing Alert: Maxim Afinogenov

Screamin'Weasel

All it took was one eye opener of an award and Darcy's been avoiding arbitration like the plague(except for Dumont).

Just speculating at this point, but if it averages 4 mil or more over the life of the contract, the money would have been better spent on Briere.

An average of 3.3-3.6 per year for Max is about as high as I feel he is worth.

I like the lengths of the contracts that we are signing them for. Just from gut feel cause I haven't looked up the numbers that it seems like payroll is approaching the cap and past the under-10 mil mark that we had last year. At this rate, with Miller and Kalinin and Briere and Dumont left to add to the pot, is there a possibility that we could actually have a cap problem and something is going to happen one way or the other? Class, discuss...

Adding up the salaries for the ones we have signed (according to TSN), we're at $27.36 mil. If we toss in Briere's 5, that's $32.36 mil. Depending on what Max got, say 3.5 (?), we're at about $36 mil, with Dumont, Kalinin, Miller, etc. left to sign ($8 mil left for the rest). Hmm...looks like shove is going to arrive fairly soon on the heels of push.

I get two feelings...one, that big G let loose of the financial reins a bit and we'll be close to the cap...and two, Briere may not be a Sabre next season.

some sabes are definately gonna be gone, I just dont think Briere is one of them. He stays, and max/dumont or someone like that is packaged with Biron.

I get two feelings...one, that big G let loose of the financial reins a bit and we'll be close to the cap...and two, Briere may not be a Sabre next season.

One of the big names will not be a Sabre next season, and by that I mean Max, Briere or Dumont.

I have to wonder if Darcy avoided arbitration and got a deal done to give himself some flexibility for a potential trade. Max locked up for three years at a reasonable price is a much better asset for the team than Max holding the "Golden Ticket" after winning a big arbitration jackpot...

Anyway if I had to guess, I think this pattern of signings means we've seen Dumont's last game as a Sabre. That might not be a bad thing for JP - he might get to hit FA a year earlier than expected, and as a bonus, he won't have to wear the slug next year... ;)

Anyway if I had to guess, I think this pattern of signings means we've seen Dumont's last game as a Sabre. That might not be a bad thing for JP - he might get to hit FA a year earlier than expected, and as a bonus, he won't have to wear the slug next year... ;)

I would hate to see JP just walk rather than get something decent if we decided not to keep him. At this point, it's probably gonna be prospects or draft picks. Something easy on the pocketbook.

I agree, I don't want to see the Sabres lose an asset without getting something in return, but I just think JP is odd man out right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Max included in some sort of trade package.

Archived