Martin Biron- Only option I see now

Swedesessed

Now that Hasek has signed on with the Old Wings....the market for Martin Biron has dried up even more....

Not many places for marty to go now, and how much would the Sabres get? probably not a lot.

Unless the Sabres were guaranteed to sign a good backup like Brian Boucher, there is zero reason to move Biron, and here are the reasons:

1. Now we all know Miller should be a top flight goalie, but what, in the unlikeiest of scenarios, he is not? What if Miller has an Andrew Raycroft type year in 2006-2007? I doubt it but one never knows...

2. Knowing how fragile goalies can be, its good to go to a guy like Biron who we know can perform for long stretches if need be.

3. Biron's value should be higher come next Feb or March, you know some team will be salivating for goaltending help. And if Miller is humming along at that point, Sabres can deal Biron and get a backup in another deal and get more help for the team in 2007.

4. Maybe having Biron around would continue to push Miller because he knows Biron is very capable of being a #1 goalie.

What are your thoughts?

Marty is a character guy who wants to be a starter, but can handle being the backup. I am still not convinced about Miller's long term stability. He just seems to have a bit of that "Ricky Williams Syndrome" to me. He's flighty, and is always getting philisophical. Dom was nuts too, but Miller seems like the kind of guy who will go see the Dali Lama at UB, and we won't see him again until 2011.

So this is the second time in marty's career that he has been screwed by dom? First, when Dom was the sabres starter/all-world goaltender for what 8 years? and obviously forcing a young marty into a back-up roll. Secondly, keeping marty in the back-up roll when signing w/ the last team that has an obvious goaltending vacancy in the free agent market of 2006.

So is it safe to say, that if Dom gets mysteriously assasinated tonight, we all can draw the obvious suspect?

Keeping marty till at least miller gets signed makes a lot of sense. Too bad that ryan's contract waited till after the goalie market dried up. We'll see how that plays out in the locker room this year, but i do expect marty to be traded around the trade deadline. (like we all expected last year)

Now that Hasek has signed on with the Old Wings....the market for Martin Biron has dried up even more....

Not many places for marty to go now, and how much would the Sabres get? probably not a lot.

Unless the Sabres were guaranteed to sign a good backup like Brian Boucher, there is zero reason to move Biron, and here are the reasons:

1. Now we all know Miller should be a top flight goalie, but what, in the unlikeiest of scenarios, he is not? What if Miller has an Andrew Raycroft type year in 2006-2007? I doubt it but one never knows...

2. Knowing how fragile goalies can be, its good to go to a guy like Biron who we know can perform for long stretches if need be.

3. Biron's value should be higher come next Feb or March, you know some team will be salivating for goaltending help. And if Miller is humming along at that point, Sabres can deal Biron and get a backup in another deal and get more help for the team in 2007.

4. Maybe having Biron around would continue to push Miller because he knows Biron is very capable of being a #1 goalie.

What are your thoughts?

It is not a terrible option to keep Marty around for a while. It is a long season and just because

he starts the year oin the roster doesn't mean that he has to be moved for less than cost.

Goaltenders go down - (like Miller last year) - and when they do they'll be talking to Buffalo.

There's NO WAY we can afford a $2.25MM back up goalie...he can still wind up in LA or St. Louis, only now, we can't afford to get a real player in return, just prospects/picks/low-cost back up goalie...I'm thinking we'll wait until the arbitration hearings are over, then we'll package Marty and Dumont and/or Max and ship them out west...

Marty is a character guy who wants to be a starter, but can handle being the backup. I am still not convinced about Miller's long term stability. He just seems to have a bit of that "Ricky Williams Syndrome" to me. He's flighty, and is always getting philisophical. Dom was nuts too, but Miller seems like the kind of guy who will go see the Dali Lama at UB, and we won't see him again until 2011.

i share the same concerns. i've tried convincing myself that miller's eccentricities are peculiar to a new generation (what's miller's generation dubbed -- not x, not y ... what, the myspace generation?), but i remain concerned that he'll just up and pack his bags at some point and go home to michigan to start a garage band.

There's NO WAY we can afford a $2.25MM back up goalie...he can still wind up in LA or St. Louis, only now, we can't afford to get a real player in return, just prospects/picks/low-cost back up goalie...

right -- it'd be ideal to hold on to marty until his value went up after the season started, but the team is very unlikely to underwrite that luxury.

There's NO WAY we can afford a $2.25MM back up goalie...he can still wind up in LA or St. Louis, only now, we can't afford to get a real player in return, just prospects/picks/low-cost back up goalie...I'm thinking we'll wait until the arbitration hearings are over, then we'll package Marty and Dumont and/or Max and ship them out west...

If anyone has any prayers for two of the subset (Briere, Dumont, Afinigenov) staying, then they better hope Marty's not on this team at the beginning of the year.

I'm almost convinced that they would cut him first (if the above is indeed their plan.)

If anyone has any prayers for two of the subset (Briere, Dumont, Afinigenov) staying, then they better hope Marty's not on this team at the beginning of the year.

I'm almost convinced that they would cut him first (if the above is indeed their plan.)

The Sabres are most likely under the cap no matter what happens -

but DaveB can check me on this - just because Marty may be likely to

start the year on the roster he is pro-rated for games played.

If he is on the roster for only the first half of the season only half his salary would

count for cap calculations and for revenue sharing. They may be able to bide time for

trade value and still get under the club salary ceiling.

The Sabres are most likely under the cap no matter what happens -

but DaveB can check me on this - just because Marty may be likely to

start the year on the roster he is pro-rated for games played.

If he is on the roster for only the first half of the season only half his salary would

count for cap calculations and for revenue sharing. They may be able to bide time for

trade value and still get under the club salary ceiling.

You are kind of on the right track, but have it slightly backwards if I read what you wrote correctly.

The cap $'s spent to date is calculated each day for each team. All the active roster player contract commitments (20 players + up to 3 spares, and any players on short term IR) and the sum of the buyout $'s have to be equal to or less than the remaining available cap.

If the team salary has been running at a pace that would put the team below the salary cap for the season, they may exceed the salary cap in the remaining portion of the season, provided they never project to exceed the cap during the season. (So you can run below the cap at the beginning of the year to have a team payroll that would exceed the cap if the team had been together for the full season, but can't start out over the cap and then purge players at the end of the season.)

If Marty is on the team for 41 games, he will count $1.064MM against the cap, and the Sabres will have been able to spend an additional $20.936MM to that date, for a total of $22MM. If the Sabres have spent less than $22MM after the season midpoint, they are allowed to have a payroll that would exceed the 2nd half of the season's $22MM by however much they were under on the front half.

For instance, if the Sabres had spent $21MM 1/2 way into the season, then they could trade Marty and his $2.128MM salary for a player whose average salary cap cost is $6.128MM. This is because the Sabres will have $23MM to "spend" in 2nd half of the season and Marty's departure would put the team payroll for the 2nd half of the season at $19.936MM. The $6.128MM players will cost $3.064 over the 2nd half of the season and the total payroll over the 2nd half of the season would be $23MM for a total of $44MM spent over the course of the whole season.

Assuming the salary cap doesn't change in '07-'08, the Sabres would have to lose $2MM worth of salary by opening night of '07-'08, because they would otherwise have a team payroll of $46MM which is $2MM above the cap.

Really? Wow, is there a link showing the current payroll somewhere????

You can check it on TSN's website and there's another one that was posted in other threads. BtP has posted the link a couple of times, so you can do a search off his posts to find the other link.

By my count, the Sabres, with 17 players under contract, are at $30.35MM. Danny will get another 5, and I am guestimating that Ryan, Dmitri, JP, and Adam will get 1.6, 1.8, 2.8, and 0.8. Add on Clark MacArthur (because he is the only Amerk that is signed that I know his salary for next season that might come up next year, not because I necessarily expect him to win the job) at 0.6 to get to a full 23 man roster, and the team would be at $42.95MM.

I would not be surprised if Miller goes home, puts in Incubus, and cuts himself after a bad game, but he is still a No 1 goalie and I expect him to take it to the next level this season.

It is not a terrible option to keep Marty around for a while. It is a long season and just because

he starts the year oin the roster doesn't mean that he has to be moved for less than cost.

Goaltenders go down - (like Miller last year) - and when they do they'll be talking to Buffalo.

My point exactly! Wait for some team to be on the ropes and desperate, then swing a great deal. I have no problem waiting.

Jeff

I would not be surprised if Miller goes home, puts in Incubus, and cuts himself after a bad game, but he is still a No 1 goalie and I expect him to take it to the next level this season.

"Pardon me while I burn in to flames"

Yeah he is a nut job, and it makes me uneasy. Marty has matured into a solid goalie, and I don't think you are gunna find a better back up goalie to step in if need be in the playoffs. I for one think they are going to keep Marty throughout next year. He's good insurance on a possibly $40 million plus investment.

i share the same concerns. i've tried convincing myself that miller's eccentricities are peculiar to a new generation (what's miller's generation dubbed -- not x, not y ... what, the myspace generation?), but i remain concerned that he'll just up and pack his bags at some point and go home to michigan to start a garage band.

Being around the same age as Miller, I don't know if I should feel insulted or laugh. Is that really how the world views 25 year olds these days? :lol:

All goalies are a little nuts ... all I know is he's competitive as hell and hates to lose. So much so he needed to learn how to take a step back and not let it bother him so much. Granted, now peopel worry a bit if he is TOO laid back, but I'd rather have the ultra-competitive guy who learns to deal with it than the guy who maybe doesn't care enough. You can't teach that fire, but you can teach how to deal with it.

Archived