Martin Biron- Only option I see now

Swedesessed

All goalies are a little nuts ... all I know is he's competitive as hell and hates to lose. So much so he needed to learn how to take a step back and not let it bother him so much. Granted, now peopel worry a bit if he is TOO laid back, but I'd rather have the ultra-competitive guy who learns to deal with it than the guy who maybe doesn't care enough. You can't teach that fire, but you can teach how to deal with it.

My only real concern was how a couple bad outings turned into a bad month. But, he was a rookie. Seeing that he bounced back well, I think he learned his lesson. Especially seeing how he bounced back from his bad game in Philly. I expect when he has a slump this year (It's an 82 game season, every player in the league will have at least one slump), he will bounce back much quicker than last March.

My point exactly! Wait for some team to be on the ropes and desperate, then swing a great deal. I have no problem waiting.

Jeff

I agree that backup goalies are important, but the thing that makes these "spending spree" years possible is long term fiscal responsibility. The $1.5 million we save with Biron elsewhere and a cheap backup here represents (depending on what report you believe) 25% of the profit the Sabres made last year. Even though it appears we are "going for it" this year, that doesn't mean we can afford to have a $2 million+ backup goalie just in case. That $1.5 million also represents money in the coffers for runs in future years.

I would be very disheartened if any significant portion of Biron's salary had to be paid by the Sabres...And I REALLY like the guy.

I agree that backup goalies are important, but the thing that makes these "spending spree" years possible is long term fiscal responsibility. The $1.5 million we save with Biron elsewhere and a cheap backup here represents (depending on what report you believe) 25% of the profit the Sabres made last year. Even though it appears we are "going for it" this year, that doesn't mean we can afford to have a $2 million+ backup goalie just in case. That $1.5 million also represents money in the coffers for runs in future years.

I would be very disheartened if any significant portion of Biron's salary had to be paid by the Sabres...And I REALLY like the guy.

I agree with your point and I too am concerned about how critical the money game is, but I see this as spending money to save money. If they spend the money to keep him on the roster and a month or two of the season goes by and there's two teams without a starting goalie, that money could be a great savings? I think that it's worth the gamble and I have MUCH more trust in the front office to make good choices than I've had in many years.

Jeff

If they spend the money to keep him on the roster and a month or two of the season goes by and there's two teams without a starting goalie, that money could be a great savings?

Could you expound on this a bit for me? I don't mean to say I disagree, just that I'm not ure I understand what you mean fully.

I think that it's worth the gamble and I have MUCH more trust in the front office to make good choices than I've had in many years.

You'll get no argument from me at all on this point. I've always been a big fan of Lindy, but my opinion of Darcy has swung wildly through the years. I feel safe now that he doesn't have a rear end as an owner.

Archived