Great summary of our salary/FA situation

nfreeman

check it out: http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/

First point that jumps out is that Drury and Briere are both UFAs after this year. If we can lock up those 2 plus Connolly, get Connolly to stay healthy, and get Miller to play consistently like he did last year -- we are going to be in the hunt EVERY year.

Go Sabres.

check it out: http://members.shaw.ca/cdelosreyes/

First point that jumps out is that Drury and Briere are both UFAs after this year. If we can lock up those 2 plus Connolly, get Connolly to stay healthy, and get Miller to play consistently like he did last year -- we are going to be in the hunt EVERY year.

Go Sabres.

First of all, if whoever does that thing keeps it accurate, it is the coolest thing I have seen this off season. thanks for finding it.

Second, you might be asking a lot with all that stuff you suggested ... the next week or so will be interesting ... I think they have a lot of the pieces in place to be in it but finding a way to keep both Drury and Briere around long-term will be a challenge.

Second, you might be asking a lot with all that stuff you suggested ... the next week or so will be interesting ... I think they have a lot of the pieces in place to be in it but finding a way to keep both Drury and Briere around long-term will be a challenge.

A challenge, yes, but it's what I want!

Seriously, I feel like we ought to be able to lock up each of Danny and Drury for $20 million for 5 years per person. That is a heckuva lotta cabbage but if our most expensive player is $5 million per year, we're doing better than most teams.

I think Connolly staying healthy and Miller staying sharp are just as unpredictable. Concussions are very tricky (and scary), and there are a lot more one-year wonder goalies than there are consistently great goalies.

It's a lot to want to work out in our favor, but if it does, we're very strong up the middle for a long time.

A challenge, yes, but it's what I want!

Seriously, I feel like we ought to be able to lock up each of Danny and Drury for $20 million for 5 years per person. That is a heckuva lotta cabbage but if our most expensive player is $5 million per year, we're doing better than most teams.

I think Connolly staying healthy and Miller staying sharp are just as unpredictable. Concussions are very tricky (and scary), and there are a lot more one-year wonder goalies than there are consistently great goalies.

It's a lot to want to work out in our favor, but if it does, we're very strong up the middle for a long time.

I'm not disagreeing with you other than to say it is unrealistic ... briere just got awarded $5 million for this season, why would he agree to a paycut over the next 4?

I'm not disagreeing with you other than to say it is unrealistic ... briere just got awarded $5 million for this season, why would he agree to a paycut over the next 4?

Geez -- I used to be OK at math. I meant $5 million per year for 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

This warning can be found elsewhere on the site but not on each individual team page:

"Most of the listed salaries are accurate. However, a few are estimates. Please take with a grain of salt."

I know he got Roy's # off the NHLPA site, but I don't believe it is correct. He signed his QO and he made more than that last year according to multiple sources. It appears his real salary is ~$842k.

I have no idea where he got Paille's # because the NHLPA site doesn't include Paille in it's database and I couldn't find #'s for him last year. Maybe it's on the Sabres site which I typically don't check out on principle.

The other #'s seem to be correct.

I know he got Roy's # off the NHLPA site, but I don't believe it is correct. He signed his QO and he made more than that last year according to multiple sources. It appears his real salary is ~$842k.

I have no idea where he got Paille's # because the NHLPA site doesn't include Paille in it's database and I couldn't find #'s for him last year. Maybe it's on the Sabres site which I typically don't check out on principle.

The other #'s seem to be correct.

Take a look at Pittsburgh and Washington. Maybe you can come up with an explanation for the cap hits for Crosby and Ovechkin.

Take a look at Pittsburgh and Washington. Maybe you can come up with an explanation for the cap hits for Crosby and Ovechkin.

That is a very good question. Crosby signed a league min 3yr X $850,000 per deal on 9/9/05 The contract provided for performance incentives that could potentially double his salary, but even so that doesn't avg out to $3.7M <_< The site being cited for salaries seems to have several errors in it...not the end all beat all for info IMHO

I believe (but am not positive on this) that Ovechkin isn't covered under the new CBA's entry level system $ limits because he was drafted in the old system. I haven't looked closely at that portion of the CBA, so I could be very mistaken about that.

As for Crosby, my quick look at the performance bonus portions of the CBA would have his salary and bonuses hit to the salary cap capped at $2.2MM. But again, I've only taken a quick look at that section of the CBA and probably won't be able to look closely at it for another couple of weeks.

I know that the numbers the website link use are ones published in THN last fall. (Doesn't mean they are correct, but the source is typically reliable.)

Archived