This may not be a popular opinion

gregkash

I am really excited about this season. Once the arbitration stuff is over and all you hate mongerers lay off darcy and step back and look at our team. I think you're gonna see a speedy, offensively talented, defensively sound, with a great goalie combo team.

I'm really really looking forward to the season, Skunk Mullet jersey's and all won't matter #%^$#! if we bring home the goods. And this team, is REALLY good.

I wish I could be as optimistic, BUT we were well positioned after the lockout and essentially had a one season head start on most teams in the "new" NHL. From what I can tell, we're treading water and other teams are gaining ground quickly. We'll still make the playoffs (and maybe even win the division since Ottawa seems to have slipped a bit), but I'll be shocked if we get back to the conf. finals.

I wish I could be as optimistic, BUT we were well positioned after the lockout and essentially had a one season head start on most teams in the "new" NHL. From what I can tell, we're treading water and other teams are gaining ground quickly. We'll still make the playoffs (and maybe even win the division since Ottawa seems to have slipped a bit), but I'll be shocked if we get back to the conf. finals.

Exactly, the Sabres right now seem to be treading water (trying to keep afloat) just trying to hold the core of this team together. Other teams are starting to turn themselves around after finding out what it is going to take and what the New NHL was going to be like. Montreal is going to be really good next year, Toronto won't be great, but they may make the playoffs, Ottawa is still a very good team. Alot of teams have gotten better well it seems Buffalo is staying put, essentially letting teams catch up to them.

I won't mention my comments about Darcy and his offseason work (its explained in another post) but I will say he better hope this team plays up to their potential cause if they don't have another great year, they could be looking at fighting to try to break even this year

Montreal is going to be really good next year, Toronto won't be great, but they may make the playoffs, Ottawa is still a very good team. Alot of teams have gotten better well it seems Buffalo is staying put, essentially letting teams catch up to them.

Wait ... so now we don't want to keep the team together, we want to go out and get BETTER players because other teams are (supposedly) getting better? I thought we had to keep it together at all costs? I'm confused.

I really think that no matter what they did some people would not be happy. If they raised payroll to the cap and traded for Pronger and Joe Sakic they would get ripped for getting rid of McKee and Grier ...

I'm a little frustrated that it looks like they are going to have to let someone more go from this team, but let's not misplace the frustration. I'm frustrated that the new system isn't really helping the lower revenue clubs all that much, I am frustrated that Briere talked a good game but then didn't meet the team halfway to make a deal and I am frustrated with Regier for not doing some things sooner (like the goalie situation or working during the season on Briere's deal, every team that has a policy of not talking during the season gets screwed because the price only goes up) ... It IS a frustrating time but it's not all Regier's fault.

Wait ... so now we don't want to keep the team together, we want to go out and get BETTER players because other teams are (supposedly) getting better? I thought we had to keep it together at all costs? I'm confused.

I really think that no matter what they did some people would not be happy. If they raised payroll to the cap and traded for Pronger and Joe Sakic they would get ripped for getting rid of McKee and Grier ...

I'm a little frustrated that it looks like they are going to have to let someone more go from this team, but let's not misplace the frustration. I'm frustrated that the new system isn't really helping the lower revenue clubs all that much, I am frustrated that Briere talked a good game but then didn't meet the team halfway to make a deal and I am frustrated with Regier for not doing some things sooner (like the goalie situation or working during the season on Briere's deal, every team that has a policy of not talking during the season gets screwed because the price only goes up) ... It IS a frustrating time but it's not all Regier's fault.

Well, you can still keep the team together and bring in better players. There are always areas needing improvement. Buffalo only needed to improve in a couple spots. Bringing in Spacek was a good move, but then factor in losing Mckee and Buffalo hasn't upgraded much. (Spacek is better on the powerplay, but Mckee was willing to be a second goalie when he was on the ice)

Well, you can still keep the team together and bring in better players. There are always areas needing improvement. Buffalo only needed to improve in a couple spots. Bringing in Spacek was a good move, but then factor in losing Mckee and Buffalo hasn't upgraded much. (Spacek is better on the powerplay, but Mckee was willing to be a second goalie when he was on the ice)

never mind, my reaction was a bit misplaced, you are not one of those who was saying bring everyone back at all costs, and I realize that ... I was just saying no matter what, people (not you really, you are at least consistent) seem to overreact to every move ... lost someone? "they don't pay enough, we want our boys back!" Kept the same guys? "Go get someone new! We have to get better!" Brought blue and gold back? "Not THAT blue and gold!!" ;) :) Sorry couldn't resist that one, I am at fault there too.

Jay McKee had 16 points and was Even this year.

Spacek had 46 points and was a plus 11.

McKee did that in 75 games.

Spacek did it in 76..

Spacek also played more minutes. Not to mention 46 games were on CHICAGOs roster. You try being in the positives on Chicagos roster.

I know you're all emotionally attached to McKee, and he is a player we all liked. But we upgraded here people. We saved money (with McKee apparently being worth 4MM) and UPGRADED.

Jay McKee had 16 points and was Even this year.

Spacek had 46 points and was a plus 11.

McKee did that in 75 games.

Spacek did it in 76..

Spacek also played more minutes. Not to mention 46 games were on CHICAGOs roster. You try being in the positives on Chicagos roster.

I know you're all emotionally attached to McKee, and he is a player we all liked. But we upgraded here people. We saved money (with McKee apparently being worth 4MM) and UPGRADED.

you bring up a good point... it is an upgrade... now we just have to make sure he doesn't lay back when he see everyone else rolling in the doe and he's being paid peanuts... it takes so very little for some one to become unmotivated.

Exactly, the Sabres right now seem to be treading water (trying to keep afloat) just trying to hold the core of this team together. Other teams are starting to turn themselves around after finding out what it is going to take and what the New NHL was going to be like. Montreal is going to be really good next year, Toronto won't be great, but they may make the playoffs, Ottawa is still a very good team. Alot of teams have gotten better well it seems Buffalo is staying put, essentially letting teams catch up to them.

I won't mention my comments about Darcy and his offseason work (its explained in another post) but I will say he better hope this team plays up to their potential cause if they don't have another great year, they could be looking at fighting to try to break even this year

I disagree, a lot of teams haven't learned a thing. Many have tried to solve their problems by throwing money at one or two big name guys at the cost of depth (NJ Devils anyone?)

you bring up a good point... it is an upgrade... now we just have to make sure he doesn't lay back when he see everyone else rolling in the doe and he's being paid peanuts... it takes so very little for some one to become unmotivated.

Huh? Isn't Spacek one of the highest-paid defensemen on the team? How is $3.225M "peanuts?"

First all, I think we should bring everyone back at all costs, with Spacek replacing Mckee. The only reason players are getting hugh raises this year is because Regier rolled the dice and lost by not giving multi year deals in past years. Now were stuck with paying everyone based on last years excellent year. Hugh Blunder. I don't hear anyone complaining on what Drury is making anymore. Also, there was a post bashing NJ Devils about throwing money at players... I would take a couple of their CUPs right now for a purge of players 2-4 years from now..... Reiger screwed up by leaving so many quality players unprotected. Sorry, but now they gotta pay and give us a good run.

I think this is the best group of guys anyone could ask for, Chemistry cannot be bought and we need to roll with this team. I trust Ruff will motivate them to repeat.

Also, there was a post bashing NJ Devils about throwing money at players... I would take a couple of their CUPs right now for a purge of players 2-4 years from now.....

How can you not bash the Devils?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2704&hubname=

Do the math, too much money, not enough players. They are in serious cap trouble and don't even have a full roster. But hey, they got some big name players.

Call me crazy, but I am not going to miss Jay McKee that much....I liked the guy and all, and he was "one of us", but I never thought he was a great defensemen, night in night out....I kind of got a chuckle, after the last playoff game, when so many were ripping into Rory Fitzpatrick, for losing track of the puck, on the goal that broke that final game open for the Hurricanes. I remember Jay McKee making a far worse play than that, off of a face-off, that cost us the Penguins series a few years back...the puck flipped up in the air off the face off, and miraculously, landed at the feet of McKee and Lemiux (I think it was Mario), right in front of Hasek....McKee froze, as he watched Mario bang it home, to win the game.....McKee was a very good defensemen, but even this past season, was prone to about one brain fart per game...

Call me crazy, but I am not going to miss Jay McKee that much....I liked the guy and all, and he was "one of us", but I never thought he was a great defensemen, night in night out....I kind of got a chuckle, after the last playoff game, when so many were ripping into Rory Fitzpatrick, for losing track of the puck, on the goal that broke that final game open for the Hurricanes. I remember Jay McKee making a far worse play than that, off of a face-off, that cost us the Penguins series a few years back...the puck flipped up in the air off the face off, and miraculously, landed at the feet of McKee and Lemiux (I think it was Mario), right in front of Hasek....McKee froze, as he watched Mario bang it home, to win the game.....McKee was a very good defensemen, but even this past season, was prone to about one brain fart per game...

Sorry, Tex, but that was Warrener who let Lemieux score that ridiculous goal. 1:18 from playing in the ECF that year. That sucked!

I think everyone here is having the typical Buffalo off-season jitters. Our team is gonna be back. No matter how much it costs. Regier is getting it done. Don't you see that? Doesn't anyone take a look at our roster and get excited?

There isn't really a weak point on it. Besides Peters, and i'll be damned if he dresses.

I think too many people fell in love with the team we had last year. Change is not neccessarily bad. There will inevitably be roter turnover from year to year and thats a good thing. We improved on Defense this offseason and were able to lock up most of our D to long term deals. As far as forwards are concerned, a lot of our young forwards should be more developed and come back with even better years than last. I wouldn't be suprised if next year's Sabres are markebly better than last years. Just think, Vanek had 25 goals as a rookie. He might hit 35 next year. And guys like Pomminstein and Roy are just hitting their strides. I'm not worried about our team at all next year, even if we do lose Briere.

If we do lose Briere and I hope we don't, we're going to get someone good in return.

I love the Buffalo Sabres.

Of course I wish all the players would stay and everything. But once you put on that Sabres Jersey all is forgiven and you are one of us.

Same thing with the Bills.

I mean, I go to Florida State University, so the University of Miami is my sworn enemy. The Bills always draft Hurricanes, and I learn to love them as I would my own Noles.

The only area of concern for me is team chemistry. Otherwise, Briere could fetch an awesome young player... ;)

I'm sick of hearing about team chemistry. It's an overused term that probably is not nearly as crucial to the success of the team as some think it is. Do you really believe that all 20+ players in the locker room are best buddies? All I care about is players going out on the ice and giving 110% every game.

If we do lose Briere and I hope we don't, we're going to get someone good in return.

I mean, I go to Florida State University, so the University of Miami is my sworn enemy. The Bills always draft Hurricanes, and I learn to love them as I would my own Noles.

I knew there was a reason your posts always make sense...good to see a fellow 'Nole on board.

Archived