Biron News...Stock is falling quickly.

BamBam

MIAMI HERALD: George Richards reports the Florida Panthers are "on the verge" of signing Ed Belfour to solidify their goaltending. The Panthers were also rumoured interested in Manny Legace but apparently found his asking price too expensive. (One Less Team to Trade him Too)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ey/15078267.htm

SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL: Dave Joseph also reported on the possibility of Belfour signing with the Panthers, noting the club was happy with the results from his physical but are apparently awaiting the results of an MRI before offering him a contract. "It's believed Belfour is seeking $500,000 for a one-year contract with incentives that could add up to $1 million", reports Joseph, who writes Belfour will be the backup to Alex Auld.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/...sports-panthers

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Detroit Red Wings will explore other goaltending options should Ed Belfour sign with the Florida Panthers. Khan believes the Wings will "likely acquire a goalie through a trade", listing Buffalo's Martin Biron, San Jose's Vesa Toskala, Philadelphia's Robert Esche, LA's Mathieu Garon, New York's Kevin Weekes, and of course, San Jose's Evgeny Nabokov and Anaheim's J-S Giguere. Khan reports it was a disagreement over bonus structure that led to the breakdown in talks with Belfour. Khan also reports the Wings have been offered "two or three goalies through trades." http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde...7280.xml&coll=1

DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan also reported on this situation, noting "Buffalo, San Jose, Anaheim and possibly Montreal and Philadelphia are among the teams looking to deal a goalie. And as teams struggle to fit their payroll under the $44 million salary cap next month, the asking price for the likes of Martin Biron (Buffalo) and Vesa Toskala (San Jose) likely will drop for Holland."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../607200415/1128

The last thing says it all. With all of the other teams looking to trade a goalie, and only 2 teams in the hunt for one now, I'm guessing we will be looking at a 2nd round pick.

Like Darcy says, he isn't going to trade him until he has a backup alternative, or reason to.

I think it would be likely that Martin will start the season with Buffalo at this rate. And we'll see what people are willing to part with in the season when the potential trade partners are more desperate and are losing games.

I've got zero problems holding onto biron this season.

a) he's about the best backup anyone could ask for.

b) keeping him will either drive miller's price down, or serve as a plan B in case miller decides not to sign or to hold out

c) his trade value will increase throughout the season, allowing us to get a very decent return if a trade is made around the deadline.

d) he hasn't complained about the sabres, being a backup, or demanded that he be moved. He simply asked for a trade to become a starting goalie. Biron is a class act and he won't break up the locker room. he's a good vet for all these young guys.

DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan also reported on this situation, noting "Buffalo, San Jose, Anaheim and possibly Montreal and Philadelphia are among the teams looking to deal a goalie. And as teams struggle to fit their payroll under the $44 million salary cap next month, the asking price for the likes of Martin Biron (Buffalo) and Vesa Toskala (San Jose) likely will drop for Holland."

I don't necessarily agree with this. If teams are struggling to get under the cap, they would have to give up near equal salary in return to aquire Marty. While he may not fetch a top line player, a couple of pricey prospects could be the remedy. B-)

What a surprise, Birons stock is dropping because most teams have solidified their goaltending situation?

Wait to go Regier, now we have a really expensive backup who wants out to be a starter who has almost 0 trade value do to no one intererested in a goalie anymore. I'm sure at the deadline we can get another 2nd round pick for him that will solidify our playoff run :rolleyes:

What a surprise, Birons stock is dropping because most teams have solidified their goaltending situation?

Wait to go Regier, now we have a really expensive backup who wants out to be a starter who has almost 0 trade value do to no one intererested in a goalie anymore. I'm sure at the deadline we can get another 2nd round pick for him that will solidify our playoff run :rolleyes:

Just curious here... you trade him now and Miller doesn't sign... what then? Trade him now, Miller does sign and our back up is who? Do tell.......

Deal him now, you have the extra money to sign him and get a return

Deal him when you have a new backup, Miller is signed, the perfect deal comes up and you may end up just giving him away.

I really don't see it being a long drawn out process to sign Miller unless Darcy is really low balling him. Its not like Miller has much ground to demand a huge contract after only one really good season.

But I guess since Miller is showing he is good and will start requiring Buffalo to pay him more money to stay around, Darcy is already getting a replacement ready in Rochestor so we can all let him go when he can become a UFA, or trade him for a draft pick.

MIAMI HERALD: George Richards reports the Florida Panthers are "on the verge" of signing Ed Belfour to solidify their goaltending. The Panthers were also rumoured interested in Manny Legace but apparently found his asking price too expensive. (One Less Team to Trade him Too)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ey/15078267.htm

SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL: Dave Joseph also reported on the possibility of Belfour signing with the Panthers, noting the club was happy with the results from his physical but are apparently awaiting the results of an MRI before offering him a contract. "It's believed Belfour is seeking $500,000 for a one-year contract with incentives that could add up to $1 million", reports Joseph, who writes Belfour will be the backup to Alex Auld.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/...sports-panthers

MLIVE.COM: Ansar Khan reports the Detroit Red Wings will explore other goaltending options should Ed Belfour sign with the Florida Panthers. Khan believes the Wings will "likely acquire a goalie through a trade", listing Buffalo's Martin Biron, San Jose's Vesa Toskala, Philadelphia's Robert Esche, LA's Mathieu Garon, New York's Kevin Weekes, and of course, San Jose's Evgeny Nabokov and Anaheim's J-S Giguere. Khan reports it was a disagreement over bonus structure that led to the breakdown in talks with Belfour. Khan also reports the Wings have been offered "two or three goalies through trades." http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde...7280.xml&coll=1

The last thing says it all. With all of the other teams looking to trade a goalie, and only 2 teams in the hunt for one now, I'm guessing we will be looking at a 2nd round pick.

Someone's been reading Spector's. :P

Deal him now, you have the extra money to sign him and get a return

Deal him when you have a new backup, Miller is signed, the perfect deal comes up and you may end up just giving him away.

I really don't see it being a long drawn out process to sign Miller unless Darcy is really low balling him. Its not like Miller has much ground to demand a huge contract after only one really good season.

But I guess since Miller is showing he is good and will start requiring Buffalo to pay him more money to stay around, Darcy is already getting a replacement ready in Rochestor so we can all let him go when he can become a UFA, or trade him for a draft pick.

If you traded Biron right now, you would have neither a starter or a backup signed.

As far as I know, there is no NHL quality replacement waiting in the wings within the organization.

As far as I know, there is no NHL quality replacement waiting in the wings within the organization.

There are no goalies waiting in the wings period, quality or otherwise. Since the Sabres released Leighton, they have yet to sign any of the goalie prospects to play in Rochester this upcoming season. That's something they should probably address sooner than later.

So what you guys are all saying is that it is a good idea that Regier hold on to Marty, and lower his trade value, and piss him off that he isn't getting dealt, just because Regier hasn't resigned Miller, because you believe theres a chance Miller won't resign with the team and that would leave us with no goaltender.

So then why hasn't Darcy started looking for a new Backup goalie yet? I guess he must figure only the good ones are left after the rest of the league has picked through them. Or is it because of his Brilliant plan of having almost the entire team RFA's in one offseason. Which most people think is a great plan which seemed to backfire pretty badly on them.

If Regier was such a great Talent evaluator and GM, why didn't he already know a player like Briere was going to be a good player who they could lock up cheap for a couple years? The way I see it, Regier didn't have any confidence in his team and decided that he would wait to evaluate all his players at the end of the year so he would know who would deserve a big contract. Instead it backfired when he found out he had a good team and all are looking for a raise.

So what you guys are all saying is that it is a good idea that Regier hold on to Marty, and lower his trade value ...

His trade value can't get any lower. I'm NOT saying he did the right thing, but given the situation now he may as well hang on to him if he can't get value and hope someone needs him during the season.

If Regier was such a great Talent evaluator and GM, why didn't he already know a player like Briere was going to be a good player who they could lock up cheap for a couple years?

So basically, you are ripping him because he could not see the future? yeah, and if before last season he had started throwing around long-term deals, you would have ripped him for rewarding players who had not earned it. And remember, a year ago everyone thought this offseason was going to be jackpot deal time for the clubs, that there would be all these great free agents out there at bargain prices. This was NOT just Regier thinking this, it was everyone. Hasn't turned out that way. The cap went up way more than anyone expected.

I understand people not liking regier, he has not been perfect, but when you essentially say "If he's so great why couldn't he predict the future?" you lose credibility.

So what you guys are all saying is that it is a good idea that Regier hold on to Marty, and lower his trade value, and piss him off that he isn't getting dealt, just because Regier hasn't resigned Miller, because you believe theres a chance Miller won't resign with the team and that would leave us with no goaltender.

My guess would be this: on Draft day, nobody was willing to give a high second round pick, or a low second round pick and an additional pick for Biron (what I would say is a fair value).

You could take Regier at his word, (and I believe he is telling the truth, that a deal just wasn't there).

I am pretty sure that he could get a third round pick for Marty tomorrow, but that wouldn't be fair value.

It comes down to this, how many teams think that Marty Biron is a starting goaltender.

Right now, no team, including Buffalo is 100% confident in that assessment.

Mike Keenan in Florida even seems more confident in Eddie Belfour than Marty as a starter.

What makes you think that holding on to him has lowered his trade value if they couldn't get

fair compensation for him on draft day? His stock may still rise, but as a GM I wouldn't move him unless I got a low 2nd round or multiple picks.

What in your opinion is fair value for Marty Biron?

It comes down to this, how many teams think that Marty Biron is a starting goaltender.

Right now, no team, including Buffalo is 100% confident in that assessment.

Mike Keenan in Florida even seems more confident in Eddie Belfour than Marty as a starter.

I disagree with that. I think Buffalo is 100% confident that Marty is a starting goalie. They just happen to have a better starting goalie in the organization already.

As for the second point I quoted, I don't agree with that one either. Florida sees Auld as good option for the future of their team. He'll be the #1 even if they sign Belfour. A guy like Marty would play a lot more than Belfour will, slowing down the development of Auld. Belfour's probably a better fit for a team still in a rebuilding process. If all goes well, maybe he'll be able to teach Auld how to get really drunk and then offer $1 billion bribes to police officers.

I disagree with that. I think Buffalo is 100% confident that Marty is a starting goalie. They just happen to have a better starting goalie in the organization already.

As for the second point I quoted, I don't agree with that one either. Florida sees Auld as good option for the future of their team. He'll be the #1 even if they sign Belfour. A guy like Marty would play a lot more than Belfour will, slowing down the development of Auld. Belfour's probably a better fit for a team still in a rebuilding process. If all goes well, maybe he'll be able to teach Auld how to get really drunk and then offer $1 billion bribes to police officers.

:lol:

"Starting" is my bad. I meant a #1 goaltender.

I think your take is accurate. Belfour is not the future, but I think he is their #1 going into the season.

:lol:

"Starting" is my bad. I meant a #1 goaltender.

I think your take is accurate. Belfour is not the future, but I think he is their #1 going into the season.

"Starting" and #1 pretty much mean the same thing to me, but I see where you're going with that. I think there are plenty of teams out there that see Marty as a #1. The question is, how many of those teams actually need a #1?

Florida would be crazy to start Belfour more than they do Auld. It may end up being somewhere between a 50/50 and 60/40 split, but you'll see Auld start more games (and that's assuming that Belfour doesn't get hurt this year).

"Starting" and #1 pretty much mean the same thing to me, but I see where you're going with that. I think there are plenty of teams out there that see Marty as a #1. The question is, how many of those teams actually need a #1?

Florida would be crazy to start Belfour more than they do Auld. It may end up being somewhere between a 50/50 and 60/40 split, but you'll see Auld start more games (and that's assuming that Belfour doesn't get hurt this year).

We'll see. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in Auld. I have only seen him only a couple times but he looked slow and floppy and gave up a lot of rebounds. He seems to see the first shot well though.

We'll see. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in Auld. I have only seen him only a couple times but he looked slow and floppy and gave up a lot of rebounds. He seems to see the first shot well though.

I can SEE the first shot well ... stopping it is another issue .... ;)

I think Auld could be a #1 someday but he's probably not ready yet.

So basically, you are ripping him because he could not see the future? yeah, and if before last season he had started throwing around long-term deals, you would have ripped him for rewarding players who had not earned it. And remember, a year ago everyone thought this offseason was going to be jackpot deal time for the clubs, that there would be all these great free agents out there at bargain prices. This was NOT just Regier thinking this, it was everyone. Hasn't turned out that way. The cap went up way more than anyone expected.

I understand people not liking regier, he has not been perfect, but when you essentially say "If he's so great why couldn't he predict the future?" you lose credibility.

I'm not ripping on him for not seeing the future, I'm ripping on the fans that keep saying Regier is so great and had this master plan that he knew the type of player that would succeed in the new NHL, when really he had a good team and got lucky that they really believed in the system and were overachievers all season. If Darcy had this master plan you all speak of and knew what it would take to be successful, why did he not lock up some of the key players (like Briere whom we all knew was atleast good, and even made him a Captain)?

I'm not ripping on him for not seeing the future, I'm ripping on the fans that keep saying Regier is so great and had this master plan that he knew the type of player that would succeed in the new NHL, when really he had a good team and got lucky that they really believed in the system and were overachievers all season. If Darcy had this master plan you all speak of and knew what it would take to be successful, why did he not lock up some of the key players (like Briere whom we all knew was atleast good, and even made him a Captain)?

I think Ruff names the captians, but that is beside the point.

What do you think is a fair return for Marty via a trade?

Archived