BN Editorial Cartoon on logo

Icepux

Ha! Thanks for sharing, 'pux, and welcome to the board.

This is great. Thanks to several hundred fanatics on this board and other boards, and some folks who started web sites and got the media involved, the jig is up for the Sabres. The media is fully on board, and as we speak hate for the logo now should be trickling down to more casual fans and the masses at large.

We've really done everything we can. Let's keep the pressure on though. The Sabres are probably hoping all this is forgotten in six weeks. Instead, let's just hope that down at HSBC Arena, they are preparing to fix the logo -- neuter the chipmunk, you could say.

The Sabres could actually use this to their advantage by pointing out how much they listen to and care about the opinions of the fans. Fess up to the mistake. Even delay the release of the new uni by a year and in that time work with the fans to create the look we want. A contest named the team in 1970. Have a contest to design the logo! Get a consensus behind the thing before it's released. Cha-ching. Boom goes the dynamite.

I never thought i would say it but I would GLADLY accept another season in the current colors. Maybe they could use the originals as the alternates ...

I still have this bad feeling though that nothing short of the original is going to gain universal acceptence. That being the case, it is easy to see how they could just say "even if we scrap this one there is no guarantee fans will like the new one, it's not worth the time and effort and money to change it again."

Ha! Thanks for sharing, 'pux, and welcome to the board.

Thanks.

The Sabres could actually use this to their advantage by pointing out how much they listen to and care about the opinions of the fans. Fess up to the mistake. Even delay the release of the new uni by a year and in that time work with the fans to create the look we want. A contest named the team in 1970. Have a contest to design the logo! Get a consensus behind the thing before it's released. Cha-ching. Boom goes the dynamite.

I think if the masses saw Slabyk's work on Celsius designs, they really wouldn't even need to hold a contest.

Unfortunately, I know someone in Sabres PR/Marketing and they really think that if they win a few games to start the season that the fans will forget how much they hate the logo and in time will buy stuff with it on it.

I don't think it will be a big seller off the bat, and really hope it goes the way of the Gorton's Fisherman Islanders logo, but fans are fans, and if they win a couple games, the stuff might sell, and then we're stuck with it.

We need people to not buy it ... at all.

Thanks.

I think if the masses saw Slabyk's work on Celsius designs, they really wouldn't even need to hold a contest.

Most WNY'ers with internet access have seen the Slabyk logos, and love them.

Unfortunately, I know someone in Sabres PR/Marketing and they really think that if they win a few games to start the season that the fans will forget how much they hate the logo and in time will buy stuff with it on it.

And if they come out and lose 4 or 5 games in October?

If the Sabres get off to a good start, it may quiet the fans down, but I don't care how big of a winning streak they have...If you don't like the logo, you're not going to buy any merchandise that has the slug on it.

PS This sounds like some college marketing whiz kid who has no real world experience. <_<

Hahaha, awesome cartoon.

Even though I dislike the logo, I have to admit I might buy the jersey. Even though it'd go against how we all feel, my old one is too small! :( I need a new one so unless they sell the original as an alternate, I think I'm gonna have to purchase that one. Just to show my support more clearly. ;)

Hahaha, awesome cartoon.

Even though I dislike the logo, I have to admit I might buy the jersey. Even though it'd go against how we all feel, my old one is too small! :( I need a new one so unless they sell the original as an alternate, I think I'm gonna have to purchase that one. Just to show my support more clearly. ;)

NB: The one guy in the HSBC with the golden slug is named Jack. ;)

It's funny listening to some of the WGR guys trying to shill the SabreSlug logo. :lol:

Of course, they are the Sabres station. Seriously, how many years did the Sabres and Bills avoid WGR and their personalities when Dickerson, Wander and their ilk were there bashing them every day.

That's why WNSA had had to be created by Rigas, and why all of the player & coach shows were there.

And that is why some of the WGR guys are trying to shill the sluggo. They wouldn't want an uncooperative Sabres on the Home of the Sabres. Especially when the Sabres could pull a fast one like the Bills and just sell their game rights to an FM station, once again making WGR a sports-talk station with no actual games even carried. Oh, except the yankees. :wacko:

It's funny listening to some of the WGR guys trying to shill the SabreSlug logo. :lol:

I do feel bad for the eight yearold kid who came up with the design. I wonder if it was one of Larry Quinns kids. ;)

I don't. If it were my kid, I would have asked; "Son, did you think about incorporating a SABRE or two in the design?"

Has Brad Riter changed his tune at all? He said when he first saw the logo, he was like "hmmmm," then a minute later, schwinnnnng, "I like it." Coming from a guy who seems like a fan, it was surprising to me. Then again, didn't everyone at GR suddenly become "we" guys this season?

Kinda' interesting to see how the Buffalo News has really jumped on the "hate logo" bandwagon. I notice that all the Letters, columns & articles (and now cartoon) are very negatively slanted. It's almost like they are purposely trying to stir the pot and force a change. It's just an observation.

Has Brad Riter changed his tune at all? He said when he first saw the logo, he was like "hmmmm," then a minute later, schwinnnnng, "I like it." Coming from a guy who seems like a fan, it was surprising to me. Then again, didn't everyone at GR suddenly become "we" guys this season?

Homeboy has been drinking crazed chipmunk-skunk-mullet koolaid.

Archived