How much would you spend to lock up Briere?

nfreeman

Well, it's only 95 degrees today, so of course I'm thinking about hockey.

Just for the sake of discussion:

1. Briere is going to arbitration.

2. He is going to get a 1-year deal from arbitration, which means that after next season he is going to be a UFA.

3. His points per game last year projected to about a 90-pt season if healthy.

4. If he's playing for a UFA payday and he stays healthy he will probably have a big season.

5. If he becomes a UFA he is 95% likely to be gone. Somebody will give him a huge contract -- ie in the $6 million per year range. The Sabres aren't going that high for anyone.

6. So, our only chance to keep Briere for longer than 1 more year is to give him an extension now. How much would you give him?

7. I don't think he will sign an extension for much less than $5 million per year. Why would he, when after a big year he will probably get $6 million per year?

8. I'm not sure the Sabres can afford $5 million per year for him or for any player.

9. I think the absolutely essential players we need to keep are Drury, Connolly, Miller, Tallinder and Briere. I think 2 or 3 of these guys (other than Briere) are also potential UFAs after next season.

10. Having said all that: I think we should offer Briere $18 million for 4 years and maybe go up to $20 million. This would probably mean making some painful sacrifices either this offseason or next, like Dumont, Max, etc., but I think if we keep those 5 guys, plus the other guys we have under contract, we can stay on budget and stay in the hunt every year.

11. I think it's 60% likely that Briere would accept that offer.

What do you think? Let it rip.

Go Sabres.

I'd give briere $20 million over 4 years... that's a fair deal. I mentioned in another post htat the sabres cannot lose briere... he's in the untouchable category.

I've also got zero problem mortgaging dumont or max next year just to keep briere... You have to keep guys like briere and miller...

I'd give briere $20 million over 4 years... that's a fair deal. I mentioned in another post htat the sabres cannot lose briere... he's in the untouchable category.

I've also got zero problem mortgaging dumont or max next year just to keep briere... You have to keep guys like briere and miller...

Completely agree, although I think we can give him a long term deal before arbitration worth around 4.5 a year. If he gets a one year deal and stays healthy next season. He'll command well over 5 the following off season.

Lock him up now for good. He is an untouchable.

5 mil a year huh? thats alot of dough. This kid is a keeper!

Can anyone post some comparable contracts to judge?

$5 million is insane.

If your going to spend that much you would have been better to spend the $6.25 for Pronger. Pronger is at a level Briere has yet to show he can reach. For $1.25 more a year I would take Pronger everyday anyday.

$5 million is insane.

If your going to spend that much you would have been better to spend the $6.25 for Pronger. Pronger is at a level Briere has yet to show he can reach. For $1.25 more a year I would take Pronger everyday anyday.

Duly noted, DeLuca. But now it's your turn to give us your number. What's your maximum for Briere, both in cash per year and number of years?

3. His points per game last year projected to about a 90-pt season if healthy.

He projected to a 99 point season. :P

Personally, I would be willing to spend at least $4 million a year. I agree with Corp that he's in the untouchable category.

4-5 years, $4 million a season... he's worth more than Horcroft for example. He's in an odd spot because this was his first true break out year, where he was really truly dominant, yet still he was injured and has just hit his stride.. if you're a GM you gotta be wondering if this was as good as it gets and also will he start falling off? Now we all are pretty confident I think in him, but in terms of business he's JUST become of superstar caliber... $5 million and up is for superstars who have done plaed at such a high level more than one season. That being said, Danny is awefully close, so I say we give him $4 million for 4 - 5 years because then if he continues to play huge we have him locked up at an expensive but bargain rate versus signing him for 2 or three and seeing that salary explode to like $6 million.... he's still young as well so the years aren't a major problem.

Yeah, your right, I'm sure Regier has a kid in Rochester who will can come and step right in and replace Briere without losing a step :rolleyes:

The point is that they did more than ok without him last year. An argument can be made that he's not all that valuable.

From a marketing perspective, Daniel Briere is exactly what the Sabres want.

He is the heir apparent to Pat LaFontaine PR-wise.

He is young, he is charitable, he is a family man, he has adopted Buffalo as his home, he scores a lot of points, and he is likeable!

He's exactly what a team would want as the face of their team.

I like Chris Drury, but he doesn't have the Golden Boy kind of image that you can sell to everyone in this city. He is part of the hockey machine.

But Briere comes off as part of the community.

I'd pay him in that 4 yr/$16-20 million range.

The point is that they did more than ok without him last year. An argument can be made that he's not all that valuable.

They team played great without alot of players in their lineup, that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a raise or could be replaced and aren't a key part to the team. I guess Miller isn't that great since we did pretty darn good without him when he got hurt.

They team played great without alot of players in their lineup, that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a raise or could be replaced and aren't a key part to the team. I guess Miller isn't that great since we did pretty darn good without him when he got hurt.

So in other words, the team is very strong. Briere is the best player and should be the highest paid, but if that price is going to cost us other players on the team, it may not be worth it. Do you keep Briere and in exchange give up Drury, Hecht, and Pominville (3 names thrown together for the sake of argument)?

Too much money spent in one place leads to holes in other places (Pittsburgh). $4 million a year seems reasonable, but I'd be hesitant to go much higher than that.

So in other words, the team is very strong. Briere is the best player and should be the highest paid, but if that price is going to cost us other players on the team, it may not be worth it. Do you keep Briere and in exchange give up Drury, Hecht, and Pominville (3 names thrown together for the sake of argument)?

Too much money spent in one place leads to holes in other places (Pittsburgh). $4 million a year seems reasonable, but I'd be hesitant to go much higher than that.

I'd like to get Briere for 4 mil per year, but I don't know if he is going to be willing. The problem with letting him go is that this is a team that has been starved for a gifted offensive player since Pat LaFontaine was traded.

They have some nice offensive players who are capable of 65-75 points a year in Max, Drury, Connolly(if healthy), but Breire is the one guy who has 100+ point upside. Tough to walk away from that.

Archived