I have now seen it all.

deluca67

I wake up this morning and read posts complaining about Pyatt being traded.

Come on. Really guys.

Pyatt is a career fifth-liner and getting a fouth round draft pick is a steal.

Getting rid of a player who is overpaid and underproduces is a great move by Regier. If you want to complain your complaint may be Regier waited too long. But I can understand him wanting to make sure.

The Sabres have too many young prospects who need a chance to make their mark in the NHL. To waste more time on a player like Pyatt who didn't care enough to show up everynight would be hurtful to the franchise.

Pyatt has a lot of talent. Maybe the trade will force him to grow up and become the player he could be. One thing for sure, it wasn't going to happen in Buffalo.

Come on. Really guys.

Getting rid of a player who is overpaid and underproduces is a great move by Regier. If you want to complain your complaint may be Regier waited too long. But I can understand him wanting to make sure.

The Sabres have too many young prospects who need a chance to make their mark in the NHL. To waste more time on a player like Pyatt who didn't care enough to show up everynight would be hurtful to the franchise.

Pyatt has a lot of talent. Maybe the trade will force him to grow up and become the player he could be. One thing for sure, it wasn't going to happen in Buffalo.

Pyatt was our best player in the playoffs man! How can't you see that? Regier is obvioulsy trying to destroy this team. He'll probably give big money to deadwood like Brier and Tallinder. What have those guys done to help the team???? Nothing! Pyatt was ready to have a 50 goal season, we all know that. And that's why he was traded! :P :P :P

Pyatt was our best player in the playoffs man! How can't you see that? Regier is obvioulsy trying to destroy this team. He'll probably give big money to deadwood like Brier and Tallinder. What have those guys done to help the team???? Nothing! Pyatt was ready to have a 50 goal season, we all know that. And that's why he was traded! :P :P :P

I forgot about the number of 'Conn Smythe' votes Pyatt received.

Regier must know that after Pyatt scores his 50 goals he will sit out and demand more money. ;)

Come on. Really guys.

Yeah, there's no way Connolly will develop in Buffalo. He needs a new beginning somewhere else. He is overpaid. He is lazy. Oh, you were talking about Pyatt.

If the argument is that Pyatt is overpaid, it is a faulty one. If you comprised a team of players making what Pyatt did, you wouldn't even make the minimum salary under the new CBA. Pyatt makes well below the average. The trade will save us a couple of hundred thousand. Big deal.

If the argument is that Pyatt didn't care, that is faulty too. Pyatt did show up. If you want to deal a player who didn't appear to show up, then I suppose we should trade Vanek too?

The Sabres don't need to make room for prospects. That mode of thought ends when we are a couple of goals away from the Stanley Cup finals.

Who are you arguing with? Are you disregarding my actual arguments because you can't respond to them?

Perhaps you should continue ascribing psychological analyses to players who you've never met.

Yeah, there's no way Connolly will develop in Buffalo. He needs a new beginning somewhere else. He is overpaid. He is lazy. Oh, you were talking about Pyatt.

If the argument is that Pyatt is overpaid, it is a faulty one. If you comprised a team of players making what Pyatt did, you wouldn't even make the minimum salary under the new CBA. Pyatt makes well below the average. The trade will save us a couple of hundred thousand. Big deal.

If the argument is that Pyatt didn't care, that is faulty too. Pyatt did show up. If you want to deal a player who didn't appear to show up, then I suppose we should trade Vanek too?

The Sabres don't need to make room for prospects. That mode of thought ends when we are a couple of goals away from the Stanley Cup finals.

Pyatt does make well below the average salary for an NHL skater, that is correct. But Pyatt makes much more than the average 4th liner and I am certain that he is above the average for a 3rd liner as well. On the current Sabres roster, Pyatt is most likely pencilled in on the 4th line but definitely no higher than the 3rd line. (Could he have had a breakout year and moved up, yes, but it is more likely that he would have remained on the 4th line.)

The Sabres will have a budget that is commesurate with their revenues, and will not go to $44MM this season. With that being the case, the team can't give an extra $550k that they don't need to pay to a 4th liner. Not when they are still trying to use those $550k to sweeten the pot for Briere, Tallinder, Lydman, Miller, etc., etc.

Comparing Vanek to Pyatt doesn't help your argument. One has been in the league since 2000 and the other was in his 2nd season of professional hockey. They play totally different styles and bring different strengths to the team. (Also, Vanek was 7th in rookie scoring this year, your argument would imply that only 6 rooks in the whole league showed up on a regular basis.) The guys Pyatt had to beat out on this roster were the Gaustad's, Mair's, and Novotny's. Due to his salary, he didn't just have to beat them out, he had to be leaps and bounds ahead of them. Unfortunately, at this time, he wasn't.

As I've stated in another thread, I believe the Sabres still think he MAY become a player. Unfortunately, at his salary they can't wait for something that had a 50-50% chance or less of happening in Buffalo.

Come on. Really guys.

I'm glad Pyatt is gone and hopefully one of the young guys(Paille, Stafford, Thorburn, etc...) wil be given a chance to fill the role of either Greir or Pyatt.

But I only have one wish...Can the "OLD" DeLuca come out and play once in a while? :rolleyes:

:lol:

I'm glad Pyatt is gone and hopefully one of the young guys(Paille, Stafford, Thorburn, etc...) wil be given a chance to fill the role of either Greir or Pyatt.

But I only have one wish...Can the "OLD" DeLuca come out and play once in a while? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Wait for a three game losing streak :lol:

The Sabres were a couple of goals away from the Stanley Cup finals, with FOUR (or more) rookies in the playoff lineup. Roy, Pominville, Gaustad, and Miller were all contributors to the effort.

So the argument that the Sabres need to wait another year on Pyatt to get over the hump is just ridiculous. Throw in Vanek, and there are four forwards brought up through Rochester who consistently outplayed him throughout the season.

Comparing him to Connolly is also far-fetched. Connolly has at least put up a couple of 40+ point seasons; Pyatt has never cracked 30. Connolly has been a consistent contributor on the power player; Pyatt has never found his niche. And Connolly exhibits more talent in one shift than Pyatt is able to show in an entire season.

Pyatt played in only 41 games this year, which probably would have been fewer if Mair wasn't injured. The bottom line is that there are guys on the roster and in Rochester who can take his place.

Pyatt is a poor-man's Gaustad with a high price tag. After watching him get passed over and outplayed by rookies this year, it's difficult to make the argument that the Sabres should being giving Pyatt a raise to stick around, while we all hold our breath, hoping that something will finally click in his head.

Vanek is 22 and just played his first NHL season (25 goals - 23 assists). Pyatt is 25 with five NHL seasons (42 goals - 56 assists). If Vanek just comes close to matching his rookie year he will surpass Pyatts 5 year totals. That said. If Vanek shows up part time four seasons from now? Then your damn straight they should ship his a$$ out of here.

This is one of the dumbest things posted since TK was around :

It was "that mode" that made last season possible. It's the only way this franchise can exist on the ice and as a business. It you want a team that over pays for marginal players and is unable to build from within then become a Leafs fan.

This team needs to roll young players into the lineup every year like it needs to roll four lines to win games.

Last season it was Gaustad, Roy, Pominville and Miller. This season it may be Paille, Paestch, Novotny and Thornburn. The year after that it may be Stafford, Funk, Card and Zagrapan.

The future of this team is in the 20-21 year old kids. It's not in 25 year old busts living off a long lost rep that they cashed in to being a teams #1 draft pick. And, it's not in 35 year old "name" players trying to hold on for one more pay check.

It's your choice. You can enjoy what is the beginning of a bright era in this teams history or you can be Randy Quaids character in Major League II, to busy trying to justify your hatred of Regier to enjoy what the team is doing. To each his own. ;)

I think the comparrison the guy was making with Vanek is that he doesn't seem to show up every night to play, like people have said of Pyatt. That fact that he is a rookie should mean he is trying even harder to play and show up and give 120% each night, which is something he didn't always do, and the reason he spent alot of the playoffs on the bench and Pyatt got into some playoff games. Pyatt may still become a very good player, but maybe a change a scenery will bring that out, but he was someone the sabres couldn't continue to afford to do and take a chance on anymore. Anyone who doesn't think so might want to take a look at connolly, a guy almost everyone said she not even be in the league before last season, and now he's being called on eof our top forwards.

AS for the comment about being so close to the cup and now not needing to make room for prospects is somewhat true. They may not end up like last year with so many in the lineup and might only have room for one or two, but when your so close to winning a cup, now is not the time to start taking chances on the prospects. Although most of you are all still in the Regier dream world and believe that since Regier brought this guy into the system, he will step in and have an immediate effect on this team. One of the reasons Buffalo had the success last season was because so of these prospects had the chance to have an extra year in the minors to develop (under the occasional guidance of Lindy who worked with Rochester occasionally during the lockout) When you are so close to being a cup team, its not time to start letting players go because there is some prospects you want to see play, its the time to trim the dead weight from the team, and find those couple missing pieces from the year before that could put you over the top. Not make room for some more prospects.

I think the comparrison the guy was making with Vanek is that he doesn't seem to show up every night to play, like people have said of Pyatt. That fact that he is a rookie should mean he is trying even harder to play and show up and give 120% each night, which is something he didn't always do, and the reason he spent alot of the playoffs on the bench and Pyatt got into some playoff games. Pyatt may still become a very good player, but maybe a change a scenery will bring that out, but he was someone the sabres couldn't continue to afford to do and take a chance on anymore. Anyone who doesn't think so might want to take a look at connolly, a guy almost everyone said she not even be in the league before last season, and now he's being called on eof our top forwards.

AS for the comment about being so close to the cup and now not needing to make room for prospects is somewhat true. They may not end up like last year with so many in the lineup and might only have room for one or two, but when your so close to winning a cup, now is not the time to start taking chances on the prospects. Although most of you are all still in the Regier dream world and believe that since Regier brought this guy into the system, he will step in and have an immediate effect on this team. One of the reasons Buffalo had the success last season was because so of these prospects had the chance to have an extra year in the minors to develop (under the occasional guidance of Lindy who worked with Rochester occasionally during the lockout) When you are so close to being a cup team, its not time to start letting players go because there is some prospects you want to see play, its the time to trim the dead weight from the team, and find those couple missing pieces from the year before that could put you over the top. Not make room for some more prospects.

You can't compare Vanek and Pyatt because they are at different stages of their careers.

Regier knows the balance of youth and grey beards. It's why he signs a Spacek when McKee leaves. It's why Pyatt's replacement will come from Rochester not the FA market. This team is close and will remain close because of the young players being plugged in. It's why when a Pyatt is clearly overpriced you dump him and plug in one of the young guys. It's why the Blues won't make the playoffs.

How can anyone seriously argue that the Sabres are going to fail to win the Cup because they traded an underachieving foward who spent half the season as a healthy scratch.

If Regier does manage to resign the entire group of forwards from last season, Pyatt again starts the season on a bench. There's no way they bench Vanek, Pominville, Gaustad, or Roy in favor of him.

Pyatt's window of opportunity with the Sabres has closed. He doesn't have the talent of Connolly or Vanek, and doesn't have the heart of Gaustad, Pominville or Roy. He's a big forward who still hasn't learned to play in the corners. His performance in the playoffs was too little, to late.

Regier is trimming the dead weight, and Pyatt and his 12 points from last season falls into that category.

Why do people think I'm complaining or think the Sabres won't be good because they dumped Pyatt? I am agreeing that he should be sent packing cause there is already too many forwards and some have to go, unfortunately it has to be him because he is still trying to live up to his potential taht hopefully he will find one day playing in Vancouver.

My problem is in the fans that sit there and try to argue that losing any player (like a McKee or Grier, 2 players who were not only leaders in the locker room, but solid on ice players) can be replaced by some kid from Rochester just because they had a good year there last year. Or people saying you can't compare Vanek to Pyatt because Pyatt played in the league longer. So what, he was getting a reputation of not giving his all every game, same with Vanek, why else was he benched for many games at the end of the season. You would think a top rated rookie would be giving his all every minute he is on the ice because he wants to show the team he deserves to play. I think by not giving his all as a rookie he is showing he has an attitude and believes he can live off his potential and past.

My point is, if you want to say Pyatt deserves to be traded due to his lack of effort, Vanek should also be on that list of players cause from what I've seen, he looks like a possible future Miro Satan

My point is, if you want to say Pyatt deserves to be traded due to his lack of effort, Vanek should also be on that list of players cause from what I've seen, he looks like a possible future Miro Satan

Because Pyatt had his chance and now its time to see if other younger players can get it done. If they can't then they will be sent packing, too. Vanek still has time to prove himself or be dumped

Because Pyatt had his chance and now its time to see if other younger players can get it done. If they can't then they will be sent packing, too. Vanek still has time to prove himself or be dumped

Add to that, the adjustment to the NHL is tough one. Vanek was only in his second year of pro hockey. 82 games of a condensed schedule took a lot out of Vanek over the year. All in all he had a great year. He will though, ;) have all the pressure on him to build on it. If he takes a step back you just might see him go.

Vanek has also shown that he has a ton of more talent than Pyatt. Pyatt is supposed to be a power forward, and it's taken him 5 years to learn he has to play in the corners? It took Gaustad one training camp to learn that.

All young players go through a learning curve. It's much easier for a team to wait on a guy like Vanek, who gives them 25 goals in a season while he learns the ropes. Over his 5 season, Pyatt has averaqed 8 goals a season. Obviously the Sabres are going to be more willing to wait on Vanek than Pyatt.

It's really laughable that we're even debating this. While Vanek may prove out to be another Satan, Pyatt will be lucky to prove to be a future Erik Rasmussen.

This little paragraph, from the Niagara Gazette, completely sums up why Pyatt was traded for a used puck bag:

"And to put the salaries in perspective, the Sabres? best defender (Henrik Tallinder) and one of their strongest two-way players (Paul Gaustad) made less than Pyatt combined."

Combined folks. COMBINED!

Enough about this!

I agree with the guys that realize that Vanek is not the same style of player as Pyatt............Vanek had a great rookie season and hit a rough stretch in the playoffs, he needs time to mature and watch out.........Pyatt had his chances and played well on occasion but not enough to warrant him sticking around when younger players are ready to step up at the chance..........The Sabres will be a good team next year and with a lot of upside, be happy we are not leaf fans....... :D

Add to that, the adjustment to the NHL is tough one. Vanek was only in his second year of pro hockey. 82 games of a condensed schedule took a lot out of Vanek over the year. All in all he had a great year. He will though, ;) have all the pressure on him to build on it. If he takes a step back you just might see him go.

Ya, Vanek was really impressive at times. I remember when the season first started and Vanek had not even scored a goal yet I was amazed by his passing ability. He has a ton of potential to not just be good, but to be great. 25 goals in his rookie season and people are complaining? Gees! You are right I think, the long season takes its toll

Ya, Vanek was really impressive at times. I remember when the season first started and Vanek had not even scored a goal yet I was amazed by his passing ability. He has a ton of potential to not just be good, but to be great. 25 goals in his rookie season and people are complaining? Gees! You are right I think, the long season takes its toll

There were some games that Vanek was clearly the best player on the ice.

The trouble was for all of his offesive gifts, he was a liability defensively.

I think these will get ironed out and that Vanek will become a much more complete player.

As for Pyatt, I can't believe some of the sentimentality I've been seeing.

Archived