Why isn't the committment winning the stanley cup?

fushetti

"You can look at Spacek signing today, and it gives you an indication of ownership's commitment to keeping this club very competitive," Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said.

The above quote is from the Buffalo News today (thurs)

This has been bothering me about this franchise under Darcy's watch. Why doesn't this team ever say "Our goal is to win the cup, and nothing short of winning the cup is a disappointment."? Is the Sabres MO to just be competitive...to just make the playoffs? Hell, it took till this year for Drury to put a pic of the Cup in the locker room.

, if theres ever a year to just go after it, its this upcoming year. Yes, its early...but the fans of WNY are starved for a winner.

Come on, you are splitting hairs ... personally, I think after this season that "keeping this club competitive" is automatically finished with an unspoken "for the stanley cup" ... does he need to say it every time? These guys are competitive people, it goes without saying it is no one's goal to just make the playoffs.

I agree it was bad that Drury had to do something to focus the room on the Cup like that, but for a few years the goal truly was to keep the team from going under. We would have laughed at them if they put a picture of the Cup on the wall and said "This is what we are playing for"

Come on, you are splitting hairs ... personally, I think after this season that "keeping this club competitive" is automatically finished with an unspoken "for the stanley cup" ... does he need to say it every time? These guys are competitive people, it goes without saying it is no one's goal to just make the playoffs.

Look man, I think it NEEDS to be spoken to fans, players, and anyone else associated with the Buffalo Sabres. I don't want it implied, unspoken, telepathically messaged to me, or written in braille. Have you ever heard them say, outside of Golisano and Quinn's initial presser in 2003, that "our goal is the Stanley Cup"? I haven't. Grier left because he was uncertain of where the team was going. Im sure if he felt they were gunning for the Cup he'd have stayed here.

If i'm splitting hairs because of unspoken words, then so be it. However, on the other hand, "being competitive" could also mean we're throwing some #%^$#! out there...it'll make the playoffs and make all of you peeons happy until we lose in the first round. I guess youre a guy thats glass half full. ;)

Well recently I have been dubbed Mr. Negativity around here, but even I am not going to go after that comment. I think he was just trying not to jinx the club. He's just trying to say that without actually saying that. Instead of syaing we want to come out and win the cup every year (like most teams goals are) he is saying that they are going to stay a winning team and hopefully it will include a cup or two

With the way the sports gods are with the city of Buffalo, it is not wise to try to anger them or egg them on. It took alot of work from them to take this team out this year.

I guess I just feel like just about EVERYONE says their goal is to win the Cup ... I would rather be the team that actually competes for it and keeps reaching the conference finals at least than the 20-25 teams that talk about it every year and never sniff a Cup run. The Spacek signing I think says something. No, it's not like they went out and got Pronger, but they could have been "competitive" without signing anyone ... not Cup contenders, but competitive. Everyone wanted them to spend money, so they do, and now it's "OK, they did it, but they SAID the wrong thing!" I don't need the sunshine blown up my butt, just do your job, and Regier did that yesterday.

That's all I am saying. And if a player is too dumb to realize getting Spacek made the team better and need the GM to say "We did this to try to win a Cup" at a press conference, I'm not sure that guy gets it anyway.

Also remember, those comments from Briere came after McKee was just let go after he was not given the extra year on the contract offer Darcy gave him and Grier made the comment after he probably felt a little insulted that his previous team would only match the offer the new team gave him (and not top the offer) and after watching McKee walk.

I don't think Darcy lets the players in on his negotiations with FA's and I think the players, like us, had no idea a deal was in the works until it was announced. There were no signs or rumors that a deal was about to go down or even thought of.

"You can look at Spacek signing today, and it gives you an indication of ownership's commitment to keeping this club very competitive," Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said.

This has been bothering me about this franchise under Darcy's watch. Why doesn't this team ever say "Our goal is to win the cup, and nothing short of winning the cup is a disappointment."? Is the Sabres MO to just be competitive...to just make the playoffs? Hell, it took till this year for Drury to put a pic of the Cup in the locker room.

, if theres ever a year to just go after it, its this upcoming year. Yes, its early...but the fans of WNY are starved for a winner.

you are splitting hairs my friend. it is still all about sales and you underpromise and over-deliver....

OK, I guess i'm the one who is crazy. Wheres PASabresfan when i need him?

Regier also went on to say, we were number 5 in the league last season overall, and

with the group of players we have, there is no reason to believe we won't remain near the top.

I don't think he was being defeatist at all.

I'm here, Fushetti. Hiiiiiiiii. I feel really good since some nice men in blue and gold blazers came and visited me. They gave me some pretty red pills to take and they put me in a nice comfy chair and there were all these bright lights and then I felt really good. Well I was walking kind of funny earlier but it doesn't hurt so much now. Anyway the nice men said the "treatment" worked on me almost as well as it did on DeLuca. Who's DeLuca? And they asked me if I knew where Apus lived and I said no. But they said they would find him. I hope they use the big cattle prod on him like they did me!

I just want to say I really like Mr. Regier and I think he is doing a great job with the full support of Mr. Golisano and that they are committed to winning the Stanley Cup. I love the new logo and think Mr. Quinn did a wonderful job in assembling the team of people who put it together under his masterful guidance. And I like cotton candy. Yay.

I agree. Winning the Cup should be the goal of every team come October and that should be the spoken message from the top down. Here you go Darcy, I will be your press agent...

"The goal of this team is to win the Stanley Cup and we feel that Spacek is going to be a key player that will help us bring the Cup to Buffalo and its fans".

I'll give you that one at no charge Darcy.

I agree. Winning the Cup should be the goal of every team come October and that should be the spoken message from the top down. Here you go Darcy, I will be your press agent...

"The goal of this team is to win the Stanley Cup and we feel that Spacek is going to be a key player that will help us bring the Cup to Buffalo and its fans".

I'll give you that one at no charge Darcy.

THAT would make you feel better? :blink: That's it?!? If that is really all it would take, then I wish he had said that too. I mean, the team would still be EXACTLY the same as it is anyway, but if Regier paying lip service to what should be the unspoken goal every season somehow makes you guys feel better, then I am on board.

Do you really think him saying that would make a difference? And don't tell me that the players need to hear it ... if these guys didn't show you what they are made of this season and you still think they need someone to kiss their ass and remind them they are expected to win in order for them to play hard, you were watching a different team than I was.

And if you think Briere and company who are looking for long-term deals are more likley to sign after hearing that out of a press conference, you are crazy. When it comes time to negotiate it will be about money and nothing else. The investment in Spacek says more to Briere than any GM-speak that Regier can spew, but at the end of the day, he will get what he is worth or he will test the market. Rigas paid all kinds of lip service to "giving us the tools" to win a Cup and when push came to shove that "commitment"meant nothing when he didn't want to pay up for Peca. I'm not saying the Briere thing will play out remotely the same way, but rest assured he is not sitting at home going, "You know, I am worth $4.5 million a year for the next 4, but if Darcy would JUST say he was committed to winning a cup, maybe I would stay for $3.5 million." If they offer him a fair deal, he will stay and play his ass off. If they don't he will test the market next year. Darcy could still screw it up, don't get me wrong, and if you want to say you believe he will, I can't argue, this is unchartered territory and he doesn't have a thick checkbook. But we are getting hung up on the wrong thing here. He made the team a little better yesterday, nothing more, nothing less. Leave it at that. Let's not make like he took a step forward and then two steps back by NOT saying something.

I'm here, Fushetti. Hiiiiiiiii. I feel really good since some nice men in blue and gold blazers came and visited me. They gave me some pretty red pills to take and they put me in a nice comfy chair and there were all these bright lights and then I felt really good. Well I was walking kind of funny earlier but it doesn't hurt so much now. Anyway the nice men said the "treatment" worked on me almost as well as it did on DeLuca. Who's DeLuca? And they asked me if I knew where Apus lived and I said no. But they said they would find him. I hope they use the big cattle prod on him like they did me!

I just want to say I really like Mr. Regier and I think he is doing a great job with the full support of Mr. Golisano and that they are committed to winning the Stanley Cup. I love the new logo and think Mr. Quinn did a wonderful job in assembling the team of people who put it together under his masterful guidance. And I like cotton candy. Yay.

I am sure you're just very busy seeing that you can:

A. Run a business better than a Billionaire

B. Diagnosis a player's injury better than a Dr. without even looking at the player or a medical record, AND

C. Know exactly the right moves to make to put together a Stanley Cup Winning team

How could you possibly have time to step in and talk about Darcy's comments to the press?

What the hell kind of statement is THIS? Complaints like this make no sense. What Darcy said is an expression...to keep a team competitive does not mean that they just want to be good enough to make the playoffs, for god's sake. You're taking his words too literally and infusing your OWN assumptions.

Don't you think EVERY NHL GM wants to win the fuggin cup? Gimme a break - no offense, but this observation is childish and nonsensical.

What the hell kind of statement is THIS? Complaints like this make no sense. What Darcy said is an expression...to keep a team competitive does not mean that they just want to be good enough to make the playoffs, for god's sake. You're taking his words too literally and infusing your OWN assumptions.

Don't you think EVERY NHL GM wants to win the fuggin cup? Gimme a break - no offense, but this observation is childish and nonsensical.

Taking Darcy too literally.... He's only been spewing the same for 10 years now. The good ol' company line gets REAL old. God dammit go for the effing cup already and quit telling me how lucky Buffalo is to have a team. I'm encouraged by the Numminen and Spacek signings and i'm curious to see what other improvements can be made.

What assumptions was I making? Buffalo isn't starved for a winner? This isn't the year to go for it all? Tell me Brandon, what did I assume?

Fushetti, I would move that knight, because you are in grave danger of being Czechmated!

OK, on "The Office" Jim just told Pam he loved her, then they kissed in the office. It's the second time I've seen it on TV, plus the hundreds of times I've played it on those video sites, but I still feel... weird. Like, all tingly inside. I hope Pam tells Derek Roy to take a hike.

Taking Darcy too literally.... He's only been spewing the same for 10 years now. The good ol' company line gets REAL old. God dammit go for the effing cup already and quit telling me how lucky Buffalo is to have a team. I'm encouraged by the Numminen and Spacek signings and i'm curious to see what other improvements can be made.

What assumptions was I making? Buffalo isn't starved for a winner? This isn't the year to go for it all? Tell me Brandon, what did I assume?

Just throwing it out there. NHL teams with Conference Finals appearances from 1996-97-Present:

Colorado: 5

Buffalo: 3

Dallas: 3

Detroit: 3

Philly: 3

NJ: 3

Carolina: 2

Anaheim: 2

Toronto: 2

Edmonton: 1

Tampa Bay: 1

Calgary: 1

San Jose: 1

Ottawa: 1

Minnesota: 1

Pittsburgh: 1

St. Louis: 1

Washington: 1

Rangers: 1

Everyone Else: 0

Fushetti, I would move that knight, because you are in grave danger of being Czechmated!

OK, on "The Office" Jim just told Pam he loved her, then they kissed in the office. It's the second time I've seen it on TV, plus the hundreds of times I've played it on those video sites, but I still feel... weird. Like, all tingly inside. I hope Pam tells Derek Roy to take a hike.

If I was Jim, i'd nail Pam immediately. Her fiancee Roy works in the back and will never know. However, Dwight might find out though and tell the whole office.

Hell, it took till this year for Drury to put a pic of the Cup in the locker room.

And there are still people who bad mouth Chris Drury! :angry:

Archived