Potential Biron suitors...

Goodfella25

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what teams might still need a starting goaltender. Here's what I came up with:

Definitely need a starter:

Detroit

Columbus

St. Louis

Would maybe consider trading for a different starter:

Boston

Florida

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Other goalies available are Hasek, Belfour, Legace, Boucher, Caron, Prusek, Dunham....rumored to be available are Nabokov or Toskala and Giguere.

So my question is do you think we have waited too long to deal Biron? Has the market dried up? It seems to me like supply has exceeded demand, and yet Biron is the best goalie available IMO.

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what teams might still need a starting goaltender. Here's what I came up with:

Definitely need a starter:

Detroit

Columbus

St. Louis

Would maybe consider trading for a different starter:

Boston

Florida

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Other goalies available are Hasek, Belfour, Legace, Boucher, Caron, Prusek, Dunham....rumored to be available are Nabokov or Toskala and Giguere.

So my question is do you think we have waited too long to deal Biron? Has the market dried up? It seems to me like supply has exceeded demand, and yet Biron is the best goalie available IMO.

columbus doesn't need a starter. they got rid of denis to give the job to leclair full time. minnesota has manny fernandez, so i can't see them going after another #1 caliber goalie. i don't think philly is looking to add another one either. they've already got a decent platoon in nittimaki and esche. pittsburgh is going to give fleury every chance under the sun to be the #1. boston seems pretty comfortable with toivonen and tim thomas, that's why they moved raycroft. i'm pretty sure the kings are going to go with garon, but maybe they'd want an insurance plan. a $2 million insurance plan i'm not so sure about.

detroit is definetly in the market, as is florida i would imagine. another team to consider is phoenix. i think they could be a team to go after a goalie. i would think st. louis would be actively searching for a goalie as well.

also don't forget vancouver has dan cloutier to move, so that's one more goalie out there (but more costly than marty) and there's always the possibility of san jose trading nabokov and anaheim moving bryzgalov or giguere. in terms of available free agents, there aren't any #1 goalies left. i can't really think of any other teams that would be looking to pick up someone like marty, and i'm sure a team like detroit or phoenix knows that. that's why i don't think we'll get much for him at all. maybe a prospect and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I have heard rumors of the Kings looking for someone to replace Garon as they are not that high on him anymore. Detroit signed Osgood as a backup and rumored to want Biron. Phoenix is possibility, along with St. Louis. Florida will need someone now too so they are also in the running. Gigeure and either of the sharks goalies may be too expensive for a team to want to make a deal and I'm not sure how many are interested in Cloutier as he never really impressed many as a Cnuck to give him the starting job.

You can probably add Giguere to the list of available goalies. The Ducks have almost $20 million tied up in Pronger, Niedemeyer, Selanne, and Giguere. Trading Giggy would free up about $4 million.

And Detroit might not have the cap space to bring in a starting goalie over Osgood.

per tsn, the kings are picking up cloutier

TSN Link

Well with one less team that needs a goalie (again), I'm starting to worry that we're not gonna get much back for Marty (even more than I did before). We have no leverage as everyone knows he wants out and there's not a lot of potenial suitor for his services left. At this point I'll take a decent prospect for him. I hope that the Marty to Detroit rumors will ring true!

Detroit has re-signed Osgood and is actively persuing Hasek and Belfour. I think a team with a shaky situation and not alot of money invested at goalie would be the most likely scenario. Minnesota, Florida, and Columbus come to mind quickly, but I don't think Biron would be the clear cut starter for any of them with the possible exception of the Panthers.

Detroit has re-signed Osgood and is actively persuing Hasek and Belfour. I think a team with a shaky situation and not alot of money invested at goalie would be the most likely scenario. Minnesota, Florida, and Columbus come to mind quickly, but I don't think Biron would be the clear cut starter for any of them with the possible exception of the Panthers.

Minnesota is set with Manny Fernandez. Did you see his numbers last year?

Columbus just unloaded Marc Denis, who is very comparable to Marty. Why would they turn around and basically bring back the same player, making basically the same amount of money?

Minnesota is set with Manny Fernandez. Did you see his numbers last year?

Columbus just unloaded Marc Denis, who is very comparable to Marty. Why would they turn around and basically bring back the same player, making basically the same amount of money?

exactly... the only teams that would be looking at marty are detroit, phoenix, st. louis, and florida. i don't think there's a team in the league who wants a $2 million backup, and those are the only teams with a serious hole between the pipes.

exactly... the only teams that would be looking at marty are detroit, phoenix, st. louis, and florida. i don't think there's a team in the league who wants a $2 million backup, and those are the only teams with a serious hole between the pipes.

I'd love to get Keith Ballard back from Phoenix, but that will never happen.

Call me a homer, but I'd love to get Lee Stempniak from St. Louis in a Biron deal.

I was simply looking at what teams may be looking at using a sort-of rotational system because it seems to be getting popular (like Detroit, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and even Minnesota at the beginning of the year). Biron would be great in a situation like that.

Minnesota does appear to be set though. St Louis and Columbus are prepared to start younger goalies in Curtis Sanford and Pascal Leclair respectively.

vancouver got a 2nd round pick in 2007 and a conditional pick in 2009 for cloutier. i think we should expect something similar for marty.

I know how long Darcy hung on to the 3 headed goalie monster. :angry: I hope he doesn't do the same to Biron. The market is drying up. Make the best deal with Detroit for a roster player or a good prospect in the minors or juniors, but no draft pick in return.

I could see him going to Detroit, It would make the most sense. Hasek and Belfour will probably want way more then they are worth and can't be expected to play the full year. Osgood is no longer the starter he was when he left Detroit the first time. Biron would be a good choice because he would come cheaper then Hasek or Belfour and is alot younger so he has an upside as he can play for a while longer. Plus he doesn't have to play every game as he can platoon with osgood every couple of games incase he does become inconsistent.

If not I think the most logical choice would be to Florida as they need somebody. Maybe we could get another local kid back in Nathan Horton? (I know I'm dreaming that they would give up him for Biron, but you never know)

Archived