A way out for Larry Quinn

PASabreFan

I like Dave B's description of the logo situation as a "debacle." As more and more people say they hate it, there's a snowball effect. At first I said I could take it or leave it, and now I despise it. On WGR's web site, the percentage of people who say they hate it is creeping up every day and now is over 60% I think. It is inevitable that someone online is going to start a petition or protest of some sort, and if enough people join, it will make the papers and TV newscasts, because the media loves conflict. This could get very ugly for LQ and the Sabres.

But it's not too late to fix this. While it IS too late to design a new logo/uniform, the Sabres could simply make the new third jersey (said to be the team's original scheme) their new primary jersey. Simple. It would make a lot of people very happy, and prevent the debacle from becoming a disaster. The Legless Polecat could be the third jersey -- I could suffer it 10 times a year the way I suffered the Butterknives. Or scrap the Polecat and use the Demonic Goathead as the new third jersey, in blue and gold of course, as a nod to a very nice era of hockey in Sabres history.

I believe there would be an issue with this. If the original uniform is being presented as a third jersey, then they are probably only making it in one color (home/road). That would mean they would have to push the other set to be ready very quickly by NHL standards.

I still believe that if Sabre fans want the best possible uniform, we should lobby to continue wearing black and red at least for one more year while they try to get things right with b & g. Then they won't throw something together over a short period of time just to get it done.

So, I'm a little confused and someone please straighten me out. I read the BN article. Does that confirm that those are official logos? But are they saying that the uniform could look different with something else on the front other than the Bills-esque thing?

I like Dave B's description of the logo situation as a "debacle." As more and more people say they hate it, there's a snowball effect. At first I said I could take it or leave it, and now I despise it. On WGR's web site, the percentage of people who say they hate it is creeping up every day and now is over 60% I think. It is inevitable that someone online is going to start a petition or protest of some sort, and if enough people join, it will make the papers and TV newscasts, because the media loves conflict. This could get very ugly for LQ and the Sabres.

But it's not too late to fix this. While it IS too late to design a new logo/uniform, the Sabres could simply make the new third jersey (said to be the team's original scheme) their new primary jersey. Simple. It would make a lot of people very happy, and prevent the debacle from becoming a disaster. The Legless Polecat could be the third jersey -- I could suffer it 10 times a year the way I suffered the Butterknives. Or scrap the Polecat and use the Demonic Goathead as the new third jersey, in blue and gold of course, as a nod to a very nice era of hockey in Sabres history.

You would think that if the team was certain that the new logo would be a marketing disaster, the league would give them leway to switch the logos between the comb-over buffalo and the yet-to-be-seen 3rd logo. I wonder how much merchandise has been run using this ridiculous-looking thing.

How can you screw up such a cool animal as a buffalo?

I have to admit, though, even if this thing is the new logo (Donald Trump's hairpiece?), I'm still buying the jerseys (home, away, and third). I'd rather own a classy-looking jersey, but I'll definitely wear an ugly jersey to support the team.

While it IS too late to design a new logo/uniform, the Sabres could simply make the new third jersey (said to be the team's original scheme) their new primary jersey.

if they make the third jersey in the old scheme, then i'll be getting one of those instead of the horrible bison with the $hits logo they cooked up.

At this point, I think this is what LQ and the $abres marketing team is banking on.

Yeah, but there is a big difference for them between people buying A tee-shirt so that they can say they are supporting the team and buying a pro-weight sweater.

If they do this right, I can see people buying both. If they do it wrong, I can settle for a tee-shirt and maybe a golf shirt with the "golden B". I will not be rushing out to buy the Barney Engblom.

...but I'll definitely wear an ugly jersey to support the team.

I already own the black and red abortion, only to be replaced by the new blue and gold. I'm just buying a friggin throwback off of Ebay to ensure the Sabres don't get one more penny of my marketing money.

I at least hope the "gold" has some sheen to it when they unveil the sweaters, giving it a metallic look. Right now, on my monitor at least, I'm seeing flat orange.

The colors are OK, if you take the pantone numbers, go to Home Depot to see a color chart, you'll see that they are the real sabres blue and gold. The navy blue is a little darker, but the colors are fine.

Its just, you know... the shape that they're in.

The colors are OK, if you take the pantone numbers, go to Home Depot to see a color chart, you'll see that they are the real sabres blue and gold. The navy blue is a little darker, but the colors are fine.

Its just, you know... the shape that they're in.

I'll have to take your word for it. I'm not going to make a special trip to Home Depot or Lowes to check out the "rumored" pantone colors.

Store clerk << Is there anything I can help you with today, sir?

Me >> Um, yeah, I was wondering if you had a color chart somewhere around here. I'm interested in looking up some pantone colors.

Store clerk << Ah, yes, another Sabres fan. Go to Aisle 9, and get in line.

Archived