Peters gets a qualifying offer...WTF!

LabattBlue

If I was Peters, I'd be breaking down the door of Regier's office with pen in hand ASAP. I don't get it...what a complete waste of 500k in salary. Please don't try and tell me that his salary is justified. A cardboard cutout of him would be just as valuable.

I disagree. Until the NHL bans fighting, we need someone like Peters. I know, everyone wants Gaustad, Mair, etc. to be the policeman, but I have no desire to lose one of those guys to a separated shoulder, broken nose, broken thumb, suspension, etc. just b/c McGrattan or someone similar takes a run at Miller. Peters is a good team player, he does a dirty job well and he comes cheap. What's the problem?

He's the enforcer, who else are we gonna send out when playing the Flyers, or to take care of Tucker? Would you prefer to lose Mair, or Gaustad to an injury?

Or would you rather become like the Senators who were always being questioned weither they were too soft to be able to win.

Its 500k, Its not like the Sabres offered him 8 mil a year just to fight.

I disagree. Until the NHL bans fighting, we need someone like Peters. I know, everyone wants Gaustad, Mair, etc. to be the policeman, but I have no desire to lose one of those guys to a separated shoulder, broken nose, broken thumb, suspension, etc. just b/c McGrattan or someone similar takes a run at Miller. Peters is a good team player, he does a dirty job well and he comes cheap. What's the problem?

Peters is a good team player?? Of course he is! He sits in the press box for 3/4 of the season and collects a cool 500k. I'd be a good team player also.

I'm sorry you don't want Gaustad, Mair, etc.. to fight, but for the few times a year that it is needed, I'll take my chances. It's not like I'm asking Briere to drop his gloves.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Peters because back in 02-03 he put himself out there pretty much as a boxer every night. That year Lindy's philosophy was "if we don't have the talent to beat you at hockey, we'll just beat you up" and every night Peters was going around picking fights. He spent a ridiculous amount of time in the penalty box that season.

And I also think he needs to stick around because the league hasn't figured out a way to police cheapshots and dirty play. I think its a shame that a team of small guys like the Sabres got pushed around a lot with a lot of dirty play and having no way to really respond other than to be like a good little cub scout and say "Well, we'll just have to try harder then!"

I remember during the Senators series thinking that we were losing chances (and players) because there was no way to send a message to the Sens that they'd be punished for f'in with us.

Peters is not useless...

He goes to Skybar with Ryan Miller beating the crap out of all the little 16 year old girls that jump all over his Goalie

Also...

Doug Janik scores in Game 7 of the ECF and gets the boot as an UFA...lame...

I have a soft spot in my heart for Peters because back in 02-03 he put himself out there pretty much as a boxer every night. That year Lindy's philosophy was "if we don't have the talent to beat you at hockey, we'll just beat you up" and every night Peters was going around picking fights. He spent a ridiculous amount of time in the penalty box that season.

And I also think he needs to stick around because the league hasn't figured out a way to police cheapshots and dirty play. I think its a shame that a team of small guys like the Sabres got pushed around a lot with a lot of dirty play and having no way to really respond other than to be like a good little cub scout and say "Well, we'll just have to try harder then!"

I remember during the Senators series thinking that we were losing chances (and players) because there was no way to send a message to the Sens that they'd be punished for f'in with us.

It was 03-04 and he had a 151 PIM playing in 42 games...and in all those games when the Sabres needed someone to skate a regular shift when trailing, Peters had his A$$ nailed to the bench.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=31206

He's the enforcer, who else are we gonna send out when playing the Flyers, or to take care of Tucker? Would you prefer to lose Mair, or Gaustad to an injury?

Or would you rather become like the Senators who were always being questioned weither they were too soft to be able to win.

Its 500k, Its not like the Sabres offered him 8 mil a year just to fight.

I agree. Over an 82 game schedule, there will be times they'll need a guy like Peters.

Archived