Canes look to keep team intact

Claude_Verret

For a team with a $31 MM payroll this year it took until late in the ECF before they got into the black. In today's N&O Rutherford says he expects the team payroll to rise to about $40 MM. To me this says it's time for "Caniacs" to put up or shut up next year. It might be a good idea for the Canes to launch an ad campaign to remind about 30% of them that season actually begins in October, not April. We shall see.

The Hurricanes entered the season with a payroll of about $28 million, which rose to about $31 million following the deals for Weight and Recchi, Rutherford said. Last year's salary cap of $39 million is projected to increase to $44 million in the 2006-07 season, and Rutherford expects Carolina's payroll to rise to about $40 million.

Link

It will be interesting to see what happens to Carolina's revenues as a result of winning the Cup. I'm still trying to find such data about recent Cup winners. You would assume it means a small fortune.

But, yes, all things being equal, whatever the hell that means, small non-hockey market Carolina spending 40 million certainly raises some, uh, interesting questions for Buffalo.

Uh, he just won the Selke Trophy. What do you think? PASabreFan just shakes his head...

...at his own stupidity. I was going to edit my post, but I figured I would just leave it there for all to enjoy. :)

No, he doesn't play defense, but he did score a ton of timely goals, won a bunch of faceoffs and gave his team inspired leadership at crunch time. He was the difference in the series, IMHO.

Uh, he just won the Selke Trophy. What do you think? PASabreFan just shakes his head...

...at his own stupidity. I was going to edit my post, but I figured I would just leave it there for all to enjoy. :)

No, he doesn't play defense, but he did score a ton of timely goals, won a bunch of faceoffs and gave his team inspired leadership at crunch time. He was the difference in the series, IMHO.

I know he's a great player, but I believe that if Buffalo didn't lose Tallinder or McKee in that series, the Sabres win it going away.

Brind'Amour played a great series, but there should be no doubt that the difference in the series were the injuries suffered by the Sabres, especially after game 3.

I'll take those odds - give them Cole & we get back Kalinin, Teppo, Tallinder, McKee and Timmy for the whole 7-game series...and I bet we win that series nine times out of ten.

Archived