TSN Trade/FA Rumors

shrader

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169500&hubname=nhl

I figured that this link would be good for a little discussion. There are two quick mentionings of the Sabres in there. Here's the first:

- While noting that the Ottawa Senators would surely have interest in free agent C Michael Peca, the Ottawa Citizen suggests that Peca would prefer to land in Buffalo or Toronto.

It means nothing to me, but I'm sure this could get a few people talking around here.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169500&hubname=nhl

I figured that this link would be good for a little discussion. There are two quick mentionings of the Sabres in there. Here's the first:

It means nothing to me, but I'm sure this could get a few people talking around here.

I'd be willing to sign Peca to a 2 to 2.25 million per season contract and let Grier go. If he wants more than that, he has to look elsewhere.

Hell blue I would even go as high as 2.26 :P

Naw seriously, Trade Pyatt and Grier (back) to Edmonton for Peca haha that would be sweet

Considering that both Grier and Peca are due to be UFAs I don't see that happening. As much as I have a bitter taste in my mouth for Peca (he never was worth the money the Islanders gave him), I'd welcome him back over Grier. As Peca is a better player than Grier.

I'd rather have Grier than Peca. My main concern about Peca is the "mileage" on him despite sitting out a year.

It is really apples and oranges - I think Buffalo is in pretty good shape at center - Grier just brings a lot of things I like to every game (he played all 81) - and I believe some of the players think of him as an additional captain.

It is really apples and oranges - I think Buffalo is in pretty good shape at center - Grier just brings a lot of things I like to every game (he played all 81) - and I believe some of the players think of him as an additional captain.

I agree, it doesn't matter if Peca is a better player than Grier really. What is more important, is if we need another Center. Even if Connolly is out (just for the sake of argument) we have Briere, Drury, Roy and Gaustad with Novotny as a 5th Center. We have less of a logjam at wing. Not to mention the fact that Grier and Drury compliment each other very well.

I agree, it doesn't matter if Peca is a better player than Grier really. What is more important, is if we need another Center. Even if Connolly is out (just for the sake of argument) we have Briere, Drury, Roy and Gaustad with Novotny as a 5th Center. We have less of a logjam at wing. Not to mention the fact that Grier and Drury compliment each other very well.

Then shift Goose to wing and trade Novotny. The truth is there's no guaranteeing we could get either Grier or Peca with both on the open market but to me as already stated take Peca. As he's far more consistant and brings more to the table than Grier in he can play even strength, PK and PP. It's not that I don't like Grier either as love to see him but for some reason see him going to "greener" pastures. Of course Peca returning is also a stretch given the situation in which he left.

Of course Peca returning is also a stretch given the situation in which he left.

If that was still a problem, I doubt he would be interested in coming back like the article says (he would prefer to go to Buffalo or Toronto)

I'm not a big fan of Peca (never was and probably never will be) so I really don't want to see him back, I think he is too old for this team anyway (even though he did have a great playoffs)

That article also has a couple teams that may have some interest in getting Biron (Toronto, Tampa, and Detroit)

Then shift Goose to wing and trade Novotny. The truth is there's no guaranteeing we could get either Grier or Peca with both on the open market but to me as already stated take Peca. As he's far more consistant and brings more to the table than Grier in he can play even strength, PK and PP. It's not that I don't like Grier either as love to see him but for some reason see him going to "greener" pastures. Of course Peca returning is also a stretch given the situation in which he left.

Peca is more consistent? I really disagree.

It is silly to compare the two: but I consider Grier's play to be the model of consistency.

Peca is also much more injury prone.

Grier is never going to be a gifted goal scorer, but the guy is solid positionally, smart, and

never lacking in effort. He is consistent from night to night.

If that was still a problem, I doubt he would be interested in coming back like the article says (he would prefer to go to Buffalo or Toronto)

I'm not a big fan of Peca (never was and probably never will be) so I really don't want to see him back, I think he is too old for this team anyway (even though he did have a great playoffs)

That article also has a couple teams that may have some interest in getting Biron (Toronto, Tampa, and Detroit)

See I loved Peca when he was here and have hated him since he left. I think he can be a Numinen (ironcally both wore #27) type of role player and veteran for our younger players to look up to. He'd be great as a 3rd line center and ideal PK which would allow Drury to play more and be more fresh throughout the game.

I think the reason he's been linked to Toronto and Buffalo is because it allow him and/or Kristen be closer to home to finish out his career.

Peca is more consistent? I really disagree.

It is silly to compare the two: but I consider Grier's play to be the model of consistency.

Peca is also much more injury prone.

Grier is never going to be a gifted goal scorer, but the guy is solid positionally, smart, and

never lacking in effort. He is consistent from night to night.

Of course Peca's more injury prone as he's a smaller player but still think he brings more to the table night in and night out. Where Grier is a good role player Peca could fill his role and bring far more to the table albeit points and/or added NHL experience and more knowledge of the game. To me Peca could be another Lindy Ruff in the making ie gritty two way player with the smarts to be a coach someday.

Peca and grier are pretty similar players, if you ask me. Peca is a little faster, but both show a lot of grit and both can kill penalties with the best of them. Peca just seems too old now though. As for the "terms at which he left", that whole thing was over the ownership. Peca and hasek saw the ship sinking. Hasek demanded a trade, peca made unrealistic contract demands. I give both players a pass in the way they handled that situation. I'd have been less tactful than them if it were me. Keep grier over peca, if its one or the other. Now, if connolly decides to retire due to his concussions, then you can start thinking about both grier and peca.

Peca's wife being from Buffalo may be a factor in his thinking.

Archived