As great as this season was

PromoTheRobot

Like many of you, I am very fond of all the Sabres players, and would not be upset to go into next season with all of them.

Having said that, the reality is not all of them will be back. So there is some retooling that is inevitable. As great as this Sabres team was, they were outplayed a lot in the playoffs, winning through sheer grit and determination. I'd like to see next years Sabres with the same grit, but with a few more seasoned veterans, and a little size, too.

I think Carolina is a perfect example of a young team with scoring punch, balanced with good veteran presence and physicality. I hope that the Sabres braintrust considers that. I think, too, with the run we had, we may be able to convince a couple of quality free agents that Buffalo is a good team to join if they want a shot at the cup.

PTR

thats a good point, Buffalo will be looking alot better to players around the league as a place to want to come and play, its been awhile since anyone has been looking to come to the Sabres to get close to the cup.

I'm not all doom and gloom about the Sabres chances in the coming years, but I'm skeptical of the notion that UFA's are going to be flocking to Buffalo.

Isn't this the same tune many of us sang about the Bills when we got a crew of experienced and Lombardi hungry players to come: Bledsoe, Spikes, Adams, Milloy. It was the same story, Buffalo is gearing up for the Super Bowl so all these free agents are signing on.

Like many of you, I am very fond of all the Sabres players, and would not be upset to go into next season with all of them.

Having said that, the reality is not all of them will be back. So there is some retooling that is inevitable. As great as this Sabres team was, they were outplayed a lot in the playoffs, winning through sheer grit and determination. I'd like to see next years Sabres with the same grit, but with a few more seasoned veterans, and a little size, too.

I think Carolina is a perfect example of a young team with scoring punch, balanced with good veteran presence and physicality. I hope that the Sabres braintrust considers that. I think, too, with the run we had, we may be able to convince a couple of quality free agents that Buffalo is a good team to join if they want a shot at the cup.

PTR

I agree, we just need one or two more veteran players like Carolina had. Guys like Whitney and Stillman are typical workmanlike veterans that can score big playoff goals and create down low. Hard to believe no one wanted Cory Stillman so he signed with the 'Canes so he could play in the league.

I agree, we just need one or two more veteran players like Carolina had. Guys like Whitney and Stillman are typical workmanlike veterans that can score big playoff goals and create down low. Hard to believe no one wanted Cory Stillman so he signed with the 'Canes so he could play in the league.

One or two maybe, but overall going into next year I see the Canes having too many players on the wrong side of 30.

I'm not all doom and gloom about the Sabres chances in the coming years, but I'm skeptical of the notion that UFA's are going to be flocking to Buffalo.

The big money UFA's aren't coming to Buffalo EVER, but the 2nd and 3rd tier guys who are looking for one last kick at the can and willing to sign a 1 or a 2 year deal, might show more interest in Buffalo than they have in the past.

Whether it be called camaraderie, grit, or magic I see that as the most critical ingredient of the 2005-06 Sabres which will be very difficult to reclaim. The Sabres will need a couple of players and "it" for a successful 2006-07. One thing I think would be horrible is to draft a goalie in the first round.

Whether it be called camaraderie, grit, or magic I see that as the most critical ingredient of the 2005-06 Sabres which will be very difficult to reclaim. The Sabres will need a couple of players and "it" for a successful 2006-07. One thing I think would be horrible is to draft a goalie in the first round.

Why would drafting a goalie be so terrible, it would be MUCH WORSE to draft a forward. Buffalo will need a backup goalie and someone in Rochester, besides some defensive Depth, A goalie should be at the top of the list.

Why would drafting a goalie be so terrible, it would be MUCH WORSE to draft a forward. Buffalo will need a backup goalie and someone in Rochester, besides some defensive Depth, A goalie should be at the top of the list.

I agree. A goalie and a couple of defenseman who are known for their defensive play in the first three rounds of the draft would help replenish the system.

The big money UFA's aren't coming to Buffalo EVER, but the 2nd and 3rd tier guys who are looking for one last kick at the can and willing to sign a 1 or a 2 year deal, might show more interest in Buffalo than they have in the past.

I was talking about the BrinD'Amour/Weight/Stillman types. Guys who have played a while and don't have their name on the cup. Not the Jagr/Bure types.

PTR

Archived